Elevated Levels from Glucose screening...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by AmyH, Oct 8, 2009.

1. AmyH

AmyH Well-Known Member

So my OB called yesterday and said my numbers were elevated from the 1 hour glucose screening i did last week... They said the cut off number is 139 and my number was 134, so not over, just elevated.. I had to go in today for the 3 hour screening.. Did anyone ever have elevated numbers and NOT have gestational diabetes...

I didn't have sugar or anything sweet in the morning before the first test, but I did have a bowl of plain oatmeal.. Which now that i think about it a big bowl of carbs, so that could have been what happened... I try to eat decent, and don't eat too much crap.. I do allow myself a bowl of ice cream at night, during the week...

Anyway... I'm just wondering what the odds are that I don't have GD... I never had it with my first pregnancy either, but I know that doesn't matter...

Thanks Ladies!

2. HollyP

HollyP Well-Known Member

I had this happen with my first pregnancy (singleton). I barely made the one hour cutoff, but they sent me for the three hour regardless - and I passed. So here's hoping :)

3. Rach1137

Rach1137 Well-Known Member

I failed the one hour by ONE point and had to go and do the three hour.
    I passed the three hour by a lot, but the test itself was hard because the stuff they make you drink made me sick and the nurse kept telling me that if I puked I would have to do it again, so that was enough motivation for me to control it.
    A tip though, have something with you that you can eat right away when you are done or stop somewhere on your way home, because I felt like I had to eat right away to get the nausea to go away. I was also glad that my mom went and sat with me so that I wasn't alone and she was there to drive me home at the end since I felt so sick from their sugar drink.

edited for spelling

4. donnawilcock

donnawilcock Member

Yes, the three hour sucks! Partly because of the fasting and partly because after fasting for 12 hours you have to drink down 100g of sugar; which is twice as sweet as the 1 hour drink!
    I failed by 14 points on the 1 hour and passed all my time points on the 3 hour so don't worry about it yet. I felt a little shaky for the first 30 minutes after the drink. I was allowed to drink water so made sure I had water during the 3 hours and I kept stepping out for fresh air. Take something to eat after the test; I had a granola bar in the car and ate it as soon as I was done. The girls were happier then!
    I believe the stats are something like 75% who fail the 1hour pass the 3 hour.
    Good luck, and take plenty to do to keep your mind occupied during the 3 hours.

5. AmyH

AmyH Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies ladies! I completed the 3 hour test yesterday, and I did have a protein bar in my purse and ate it right away, so that helped. Now here is hoping I passed the test!

6. AmyH

AmyH Well-Known Member

Ok.. My dr. just called and said that I passed the 3 hour test last week. I don't have Gestational Diabetes!!! BUT... She wants me to follow the diabetic diet.

has anyone else had to do this without having gestational diabetes?

7. Rach1137

Rach1137 Well-Known Member

At our house we generally follow a diabetic diet. My mom is diabetic so I grew up cooking and shopping that way and never really stopped.
    We always have a protein, a veggie and a starch (keep in mind that potatoes and corn are starch, not veggies) with each meal, we also usually add in a serving of dairy and sometimes fruit depending on what we are having. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it and is actually a healthy way to eat almost all the time. This website has some pretty good easy guidlines and also has some guidlines for GD which is helpful.

8. AmyH

AmyH Well-Known Member

Thank you Rachel! I was wondering where to begin.. This website is very helpful!