Embryos not the same size at 6+5 weeks

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Maj, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Maj

Maj Member

Hi twins parents,

I am all new here as I am all new to be expecting twins.

At an early ultrasound last week (at 5+5) it was clear, that there are two embryos this time (we have a 2 1/2 year old son). There was no fetal heartbeat last week, so we returned today for another ultrasound.

Today there were two heartbeats, but the two embryos are rather different in size.
    - Both their surrounding sacks and the actual tiny fetuses are not the same.
    One fetus 0,24 inches, the other is 0,35 inches.
    They have each their own placenta, by the way. That was clear today too.

The nurse who did the ultrasound said that is wasn't completely normal but not completely atypical either.
    She also said that it would be a safer sign if they were the same size, but that they had just had a twin mom with the same history and she recently delivered two healthy twins.

Still I'm worried and I since I was told about Twinstuff.com, I came here to become part of your community :)

What are your experiences and input to the difference in size?

Best,
    Maj (Denmark)

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

At early scans ours were different sizes too. But you can see from my avi that I have two 4 1/2 year olds now. :hug: When do you go for another scan?

3. Maj

Maj Member

Thank you so much :ibiggrin:

I will go for another scan on Oct. 7 - so that's two weeks from now.

4. toni4veka

toni4veka Active Member

Maj,read this and try to find more similar stories like yours.
    It is common with twins,and everything will be fine
    http://forums.fertilitycommunity.com/vitro-fertilization-ivf/2020203580-help-my-ultrasound-results-dont-know-what-think.html?highlight=size+fetus

Hugs from me and keep me update
    Vesna

5. Maj

Maj Member

Thank you, Vesna.

That was very comforting to read.

Yay! :banana:

6. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Welcome to TS!! :welcome:
    Congrats on your twin pregnancy, we are so glad you found us!!
    Please keep us posted after your next u/s! Take care!!

1 person likes this.
  7. Maj

Maj Member

Thank you so much. I am happy I found you.

I can't believe it - twins! What a party.
    Neither of us have twins in our families so it is absolutely unexpected (and according to my husband it's an obvious result of lots of good sex :rotflmbo: )

2 people like this.
  8. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That's awesome. Welcome to TS! :welcome:

I had a similar situation. At an early-ish u/s- I was 11 weeks before we found out - 1 baby measured 3 days ahead. I actually thought they were conceived at different times. :slap: Although they did not share a placenta or anything else, my boys are very healthy, identical 2 year olds. Baby B was just a tad smaller than A- which lasted until they were about 4 months old. Now they are usually within a pound of eachother, with the same height & shoe size.

9. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

My baby B measured 3-5 days smaller right form the start of my pregnancy. They are now very healthy soon to be 2 yr olds. Congrats on our pregnancy and welcome to TS

10. Kaciald

Kaciald Active Member

Welcome and Congratulations! :)

My twins have measured differently since my 8 week ultrasound by about 3 days. And at my last ultrasound they were measuring a full week in difference ( mine are in seperate sacs as well). My doctor said that they are still in the "okay zone" but we have to watch to make sure it doesn't keep increasing. From what I've been told it is quite common in twins for them to measure a little differently. Other than that though my boys are doing great and I've had a relatively uneventful pregnancy (29 weeks today! :) ) Everything will be fine but keep us updated! Congratulations on your twin pregnancy!

11. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

Not my personal experience, but a woman in my IVF group had a Baby B that measured a week behind during her first trimester ultrasounds and was smaller throughout her pregnancy. Her doctor was very pessimistic in the first trimester, but they are both now healthy 2 year olds (and were born full-term and healthy)!

Keep us posted if you can.

12. Maj

Maj Member

Thank you so much for sharing your stories and experiences everybody.

You have absolutely changed my mind and made me happy.

I will of course keep you posted

13. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine were all different sizes in the beginning too. I was told that was normal!

Congrats!!!

14. monie rose

monie rose Well-Known Member

Congrats on expecting twins! I just wanted to say it could just be one twin implanted later than the other and that's why they are not that close in size.

15. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At our first u/s at 6 wks 5 days, at first we only saw one baby, but two sacs. After much poking around we heard the heartbeat for the first baby as well. The nurse went back to poke after the second sac and finally, finally we saw the tiniest little bean shape. She couldn't even measure the heartrate it was so small. We were so hopeful but so worried.

2 wks later, 2 healthy little bean shapes with strong little heartbeats going! :babyflips: :babyflips: They measured a few days off for most of the pregnancy, they got about a week apart towards the end, and were a lb different at birth. They are now 2.5 yr old little b/g twinadoes! My boy just had stitches in his chin this weekend! :lol:

Hang in there! Congrats on your twin's!! Keep us posted on what happens!!

16. Maj

Maj Member

Thank you so much for sharing your stories. They have truly comforted me and made me hope for the best.

I had another ultrasound yesterday, and one embryo was 7+6, the other 8+0 (maybe 8+1), so the little one has caught up and it looks like they will both be our little babies in 6-7 months.

So amazing.

For the first time in this pregnancy I m starting to believe in it and love it.

So thank you again, I look forward to becoming a part of your forum.

- Maj

17. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

Yay for catching up! Hope you have an uneventful 6-7 months

18. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

Great news!

19. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

So happy you got the outcome you wanted! :)