Enrichment class for just one twin?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by junebug, Jan 12, 2011.

1. junebug

junebug Active Member

I usually just read these posts, but now I have a dilemma. My identical twins are in separate gr.2 classes this year (their request, and also b/c they were getting a bit competitive). So far, they've both done quite well with school. Last week, we got a note from Sophie's teacher saying she's recommending enrichment class (I think once/week) b/c she's usually finished her classwork early. We didn't get a note like that for Emily. When we mentioned it to Emily's teacher, she said that while Emily is doing well, she's not done early, and the teacher hasn't recommended anyone in the class for enrichment this year or last. So now we're not sure what to do. I know of studies where avg. kids were told they were smart, etc. then actually performed better. I also don't want our twins to start thinking one's the smart one, and the other isn't, and so far their report cards have been the same. For today, I'm leaning towards having neither one in enrichment, and just finding out what all is taught there and maybe just doing some of that at home. Maybe next year both will qualify (or neither!). Has anyone else dealt with this?
    Thanks for your ideas,
    Julie

2. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

My daughters are competitive in a way, when it comes to report cards they always want to know who did better. We always tell them well she did better in this but you did better in that and that everyone is different and are good at different things (then we go through what their strengths are). My girls are in different 2nd grade classes and their teachers have very different teaching styles. During the last parent teacher conference the first teacher we went to said our daughter was doing very well in reading and so were some other kids (they are ahead of some of the other kids in class) and she wanted to know if it was ok to start a reading club with her and some others that was a little more advanced to they would stay interested in reading. We agreed and we was very excited for her (we didn't even think how our other daughter was going to react to that, we figured if she wanted to do it then we were behind her in it). Then we went to the other teacher conference and she said our daughter was ahead in math and wanted to start a math club with some other kids so she would get harder math problems and more thinking to them (again excited and said yes if she wanted to do it). I know my situation isn't the same as yours since both of my girls ended up being in an advanced club but for us it they wanted to do it then we were going to support them and figured we would just explain to them that this is what their teacher wanted. Does your daughter want to do it? Have you talked to them both about it? You could also not mention it to them and let her do it and see what happens? I don't know how that would work out but just thinking. For us we are always telling out girls that they are different (totally different personalities and look nothing alike). We always try to point out the strengths in both of them but then mention some weaknesses too. We also do that for us to show them that mommy and daddy aren't perfect either.

Good luck with your decision I know it's only one that you and your family can make. Maybe you could have your one daughter do it and if your other one is interested you can find out what she did at school and then do it with your other daughter at home. I know that isn't really the same but then she is getting some of that experience too.

3. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I would send the one that was recommended. They are two different children, and deserve to have the work that is right for them. Since first grade, on of my boys got enrichment math, the other only started getting it this year. Kids mature and learn at different rates. The boy who got enrichment math, has received enrichment programs since K. The other one surprised us this year when he soared past his brother in reading. Also, it isn't fair for the one who finishes her work early to have nothing to do every day, while her sister is right there with the rest of her class.

I will always take opportunities as they come. Ask yourself, would you even ask this question if they were different aged siblings? Just because they are twins doesn't mean they have to be identical and have identical experiences. You will find that the one who wasn't recommended probably won't want the "extra work" anyway.

5 people like this.
  4. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I would send her. Like pp mentioned just because they are twins doesn't mean they should not be treated like separate children.

1 person likes this.
  5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I totally agree!

I would send the one who was recommended as well. You don't want to hold one back just because the other one was not invited to do something. This probably won't be the first or last time something like this happens. And it is okay and good for them to do different things. :good:

6. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

I agree with Sharon 100 %. I've had some real rough experiences with my boys and school issues and as much as I would have liked to think they were going to grow and learn and share the same school experiences .. the reality is, they are 2 different kids and will learn and grow at their own paces.
    Good luck with your decision ! :)

7. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I would send the one that got asked to do enrichment. If she is finishing early and doing very academically- she would probably enjoy it and benefit from it.

BUT- I would be concerned that a teacher that has enrichment options available has not used them for the past two years. I cant imagine having 50 kids (25 each year) and not having a single child that would benefit from enrichment classes. Not saying she is not a phenomenal teacher- she could feel that she is meeting all the students needs in the classroom and doing a really good job differentiating for everyone. But I do find it unusual- depending on the 'qualifying' factors for enrichment I would ask how the teachers go about selecting students.

8. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

Completely agree with this!

9. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would sent the one that got asked for the encrichment. But I would tell them that since they have different teachers they do things differently. I would not make it that one is smart than the other.

10. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Yep, I agree that I would send the one that was recommended for enrichment. They are 2 different kids that are not going to need the exact same things throughout their lives. It's important to teach to each of them the best way they learn. My twins have different learning styles as well as different strengths.

11. SuzyHolland

SuzyHolland Well-Known Member

We have almost the same situation. The boys are in different classes, we wanted that because they are so different.
    Cosmo is very smart and the school has a special class once a week he goes to. And they are testing him to see how far ahead he is
    Keagan knows his brother is in that class butt he doesn't care, he is the creative one
    Butt now the question for us is.....maybe Cosmo will skip a year.

I see the boys as 2 different kids with there own qualities

Ask you daughter what she wants

Good luck

12. BRMommy

BRMommy Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this post. I would send the one that got asked. But I do find it strange that your other daughter's teacher hasn't recommended anyone in 2 years. It sounds like it's the teachers' judgement that is not up to standard rather than her students' performance. At my kids' school, the determination about who gets to participate in the enrichment class is made by the enrichment class teacher so that the same standard is applied to all students, no matter who their homeroom teacher is.