Ethical Dilemma: When they have the same tests in school

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Sue1968, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Sue1968

Sue1968 Well-Known Member

This issue actually started last year. They were both on the same level in math but in different classrooms. Ben would always wind up having his tests a few days before Adam so when it came time for Adam to study (and he really needed help studying), I had already seen Ben's corrected test. Well I'm not going to outright let him cheat and I didn't show him the test, but I made sure he knew how to do everything that was on the test. Adam's teacher was never very clear about what skills were going to be tested so it was a big help having already seen the test.

This year (4th grade), they are in the same math class together so the math test issue is moot. However, they rotate to different teachers for science and social studies. Tomorrow, Ben has a social studies test that Adam has already taken, and Adam has a science test that Ben has already taken. They both have asked for help studying for the tests. I actually have the corrected tests and once again, I will make sure they know the information necessary to help them on the tests.

It seems very unfair but I'm not going to let them go into their tests unprepared when I already know what they need to know. Has this happened to anyone else? What would you do?

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm not sure how I would handle it.  

Before I had my girls, I was a high school science teacher.  One time for review the day before the test, I gave the students the test I gave the year before.  We went over it question by question.  I think the actual 40 question test only had 3 questions that were not word for word on that review test.  Answers choices moved around though. I always did an A and B test with the same questions just answers in different order and questions moved around.
    I had students tell me they never saw the questions before.

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hmm, I am not sure how I would handle that, either.  I don't understand why the teachers would give the tests back for some of the kids if others had not taken it yet.  Seems like an open invitation to cheat even between friends, so it is not just a twin issue.  

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I would review for both tests with both children the day before they both take it.  I wouldn't review with a corrected test--or I would review with each child with their notes, but not look at the test.  It really isn't fair to the one that already took it for the other to have the advantage of being targetted towards the test--if that makes sense.  I understand giving tests on different days for various reasons, but as a teacher, I would never send home a corrected test until all students have taken the test for the reason you give.

1 person likes this.
  5. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think as long as the kids know the content on the test and can answer the questions then I see nothing wrong with what you are doing. If you just gave them the answers you knew to be correct with out actually 'helping them learn it' then maybe...but there is nothing wrong with how you are going about it.

6. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

That is a tricky one.  My kids' teachers have never gotten tests back to me that quickly!   

If it were me, I would check the test against the study guide (assuming you're provided with a study guide).  If there's anything on the test that isn't on the study guide, I would add it to the guide.  I wouldn't show my kids the actual test.   I still think I would feel a smidge guilty about it, that one kid is getting an unfair advantage.   So probably a little unethical.   I also like the idea of reviewing with both of them before either takes the test, that's probably the best option.

7. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

I like the idea of reviewing with both before either takes the test and I would not look at the corrected test before the other child has taken it. Look at the score to give praise and encouragement but not at the questions.

8. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

That sounds weird, but I'd probably take it up to the teachers too... I mean it's not just a twin issue, a lot of kids are probably cheating because of it.