Evening Primrose Oil

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Anaylor6, May 27, 2013.

1. Anaylor6

Anaylor6 Member

Hello!

I was wondering if any of you have tried Evening Primrose OIl to help encourage labor to start? If so, did it work, would you reccomend it?

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would definitely chat about it with your care provider before using. Also, as I understand it it isn't so much an induction agent as it is a cervical ripener. So one dose is unlikely to send you into labor but using it regularly at the end of pregnancy can help prep your cervix to dilate. I took capsules orally every day starting at 37 (?) weeks with my singleton. My midwives also gave me a protocol for using the capsules vaginally but we opted to have sex daily(ish) instead as semen is an excellent natural cervical ripener. Emmett arrived at 39+6 so I guess it worked? ;)

3. linnmarie85

linnmarie85 Member

Sorry didnt realize how old this post was, and cant delete from my phone. About 4 days after I started using it my water broke before I went into labor. It helped thinned my cervix but I don't think my body was ready. So 27hrs later on pitocin only 5cm I had a csection due to risk of infection since my water broke. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the evening primrose or not but I would talk to your Dr. Sometimes I think when we try to rush things when our body isn't ready the outcome isn't the best it could be.

4. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I always love when an old thread gets bumped. It's fun to see what people relate to!

5. allboyssofar

allboyssofar Member

I used the capsules vaginally with my now 17 month old and labor started at 3 a.m. the next morning. My son was born at 10 a.m. that morning. Worked for me and I think I was 2cm dilated at my last doctors appt before that.