Ever started to faint while sitting down?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by SC_Amy, Dec 11, 2008.

1. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

I feel like I've gotten so much worse just over the past week. I mentioned in a previous post that I have started to get contractions almost any time I try to move around, so DH and I have basically put me on couch rest.

Today, we decided to go out to breakfast with friends; I figured I could handle just the short walk from our house to the car, then into the restaurant and back out again. Well while I was sitting there, it started feeling like the weight of my belly was cutting off the circulation in my legs; they were getting that "pins and needles" sensation. Then (this was near the end of breakfast) I started to feel like I do before fainting, where my vision gets messed up and I'm seriously lightheaded. I've *never* felt that when sitting down before; only while sitting/walking.

I shifted around some in my seat, trying to get my blood circulating, and started to feel a bit better. DH and I drove to the pharmacy that's right by the restaurant to check my BP. 117/68, which for me is on the higher side (mine has been roughly 95-105 over 50-60 during pregnancy). I wondered if the scare of almost blacking out sitting down plus having just eaten a big breakfast had caused my BP to shoot up a little since the incident!

Anyhow ... just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.
    Or if any of the rest of you have felt like the weight of your belly is cutting off circulation to your legs if you're sitting on a normal hard chair.

(Currently I am at home in the recliner with my feet up. DH made sure I had everything I needed within reach before leaving for his meetings, and I'm only allowed to get up to use the loo. My 34w appt with my OB is tomorrow morning so I'll talk to him about all this then unless it gets worse again before that and then I'll call.)

2. Tarin

Tarin Well-Known Member

I have no experience, but good luck.

3. rosenschaf

rosenschaf Well-Known Member

Sounds like me... It's my arms when I lie down on my side and when I sit on a regular chair for more than 40 min., I definitely lose my feet. The feeling always comes back after repositioning or getting up, but it's icky. My doc said it's edema and suggested lots of rest. I only feel faint when I sit in a reclining position. I almost passed out at one of the big ultrasounds and the nurse had to turn me over on my left side - she said the babies are pushing on one of the main arteries.
    Sorry you have to feel this way - I hope it gets better!!

4. Anne-J

Anne-J Well-Known Member

This started to happen to me around 33-34 weeks also, but I was on bed rest, so I put down the feeling to lack of movement on my part (my babies arrived at 35 weeks). The dizziness was definitely there and mine was due to fluctuating BP.. up and down (though the "low" was actually pretty high). I think you should stay put and maybe call your doctor. It's good you are resting and not walking about.

Good luck.

5. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

I wonder if mine is edema, too. I hadn't had any swelling through pregnancy but this week I've also noticed my ankles are slightly swollen. (Though I have very scrawny ankles normally so they probably wouldn't look swollen to anyone else, lol.)

6. ginagwen

ginagwen Well-Known Member

Oh yes, I had to stop going to church around 30 wks bc I was seriously light-headed if I sat upright. It was either walking around or lying down on my side, I couldn't sit or recline w/o feeling faint. My OB looked at me like I was crazy when I told her this, but it was true. Actually I hated lying down and had 2 OC to care for so I was on my feet constantly and ended up delivering at 34 wks5 days, so lie down if you can!!!

7. swp0525

swp0525 Well-Known Member

Yes and BIG hugs. I do not remember those days fondly :hug: My OB said it had something to do with sitting on a major blood vessel. It used to happen to me a lot while sitting in the car. Not exactly the easiest place to try to switch positions with a gigantic belly.

8. ANGELA SHAW

ANGELA SHAW Well-Known Member

i have jumping bp. when i sit or stand to fast i fall over, when i sit i have to lean back so my bum is higher than my leg otherwise i black out, all is because my bp either went to high or to low, the sitting thing they say im cutting off blood and oxygen to my head
    my back hurts 10x more than it need because im always leaning back but im not blacking out so il keep doing it,
    do you find your arms and legs get really heavy, feel like they wiegh 40lbs, i was told that was bp as well
    good luck hun only a few more weeks. take it easy