eww! moldy toothbrush!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinmom11, Aug 23, 2007.

1. twinmom11

twinmom11 Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever had mold grow on baby toothbrushes??? I keep my kids tooth brushes in the bathroom right along with mine and my DH's. For some strange reason my kids toothbrushes keep growing mold in between the bristles. Yuck! Has anyone ever heard of this happening? We've been through 3 toothbrushes in a month!!! And why would it only grow on theirs and not ours? Really Weird. Anybody have any answers???

2. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Ewww! That is yucky! Do you rinse them well after they brush? I would pour some boiling water over them every few days if it keeps happening.

3. ruthjulia

ruthjulia Well-Known Member

it's gross, isn't it? we've had this - not so often but every few months it seems like it will happen (usually to alisha's for some reason) and then i just throw them out and get out a new one. i don't know what causes it or how to stop it though - but you're not alone!

4. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

My guess would be that it might be due to kids toothpaste having a different make up than adult toothpaste, but that's a guess, and yes, ewww!

5. bridget nanette

bridget nanette Well-Known Member

Yes! My twins have the same problem!! I threw away moldy toothbrushes just this week. I don't understand why they get that way. I rinse the brushes for them. The mold is down at the base of the bristles. EWWW and yuck! I know what you are going through. Mikayla's brushes get moldy more than Michael's.

Bridget

6. marcy874

marcy874 Well-Known Member

Now I'm going to have to examine the girls brushes more closely!! :p

7. TD

TD Well-Known Member

I started washing the toothbrushes in the dishwasher ever couple of weeks after I noticed this happening. I also wash them in the dishwasher after they have been sick.

T

8. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

Do you stand them up or lay them down when they are not being used? I believe this happens more frequently when the toothbrush is laying down between uses.

9. RachelJoy

RachelJoy Well-Known Member

Same problem here. I occasionally soak them overnight in a cup of water with a little bleach, which seems to take care of it. Better to do this before you see any mold - once I see mold I'd rather just replace it. Be sure to rinse it well afterwards. I learned this trick (and that it's safe) from working at a summer camp - any time there was a virus going around camp we had to bleach all of our campers toothbrushes . . .

Rachel

10. Jersey_Girls

Jersey_Girls Well-Known Member

We do the dishwasher thing too. I have never seen mold on their brushes...I think I will look now!

11. Gabe+2more

Gabe+2more Well-Known Member

eeeeeeewwwwwwwwww!

I'm going to go home and examine our brushes! I've never seen it on them before, but maybe that's because I stand them up to store and I shake off the excess water after rinsing them. I'm going to take a closer look tonight!