exercise/diet question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by slugrad1998, Oct 4, 2010.

1. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

I am asking this for a friend of mine because I am definitely not motivated enough to do it myself :s. This friend is a singleton mom and her baby is 10 weeks old. She is starting to feel really emotionally drained from nursing and thinks that some of it has been because she is afraid to exercise or diet and she hasn't lost the baby weight.

I started out fat before I had the twins so it never bothered me that much but I can understand how she must feel. For those of you who are fit, how much exercise is safe for BF so it doesn't hurt supply? Also, are there any safe diets for breastfeeding moms? Thanks!

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

exercising & dieting are fine while BFing.

here are some good guidelines from Kellymom on exercise and some on dieting.

3. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Great link, Rachel. I've been exercising since I got the green light postpartum (around 6 wks or so) and never noticed any effect on my milk. Early on, I was just swimming 25 min. or running a couple miles. Later, I was running longer distances and doing aikido. The only problem is that DD has always acted mortally betrayed and wounded whenever I'm sweaty, and would not nurse until after I'd showered. :p I have had the extreme good luck of never having had to lose more than 10 lbs or so (pls don't kill me! just metabolism), so I don't have experience with weight loss while BFing, but I think some moms here have had good results with Weight Watchers.

I'd also add that new moms often blame BFing for their feelings of being emotionally/physically exhausted, probably because BFing is the only part of having a baby that they can change. You can't quit being a mom, but BFing is something you do have power over. I think most of the time the exhaustion is just from having a new baby, plain and simple. In addition to choosing healthy foods and starting some moderate exercise (both of which should boost energy), I'd also tell your friend to make sure she's getting some breaks. Let her partner (or a babysitter) take the baby for a few hours here and there so she can do something purely for HERSELF (and no, shopping alone at Target doesn't count), including just lying in bed reading trashy magazines with no interruptions. And during those breaks, do not worry about feeding the baby - just leave a bottle of EBM and/or formula, and it will be ok.

3 people like this.
  4. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

lol at "I was fat before this so it doesn't bother me." L O L!

5. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

It's funny you commented on this topic because now I am postpartum from pg #2/baby #3 and was actually thinking I need to get on the exercise bandwagon!

6. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I totally agree with what Holly said!
    I also medically had to be on an extreme low fat diet for the first several months after my twins were born--it didn't affect my breastfeeding them, but boy did I ever lose weight!

I suggest she get a good stroller and get out and walk, especially in places where there are a lot of people who might gush over her cute baby. (Like if there is a senior citizens walking club at the local mall or something. Walking is great exercise, and a stroll can be very calming for a baby--in my twins first year I sometimes took them on three walks a day because they were always both quiet and often fell asleep in the stroller.

Here is some info on walking based fitness programs
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/walking/HQ01612
    http://www.thewalkingsite.com/
    http://www.aboutwalking.50megs.com/