Exercise during a twin pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by OahuLove2, Oct 1, 2013.

1. OahuLove2

OahuLove2 Active Member

Hi everyone,

I'd love to hear from others what kind of exercise plans they followed during their twin pregnancies. How did exercise help in your pregnancy? Or, if you went the route of cutting exercise during a twin pregnancy, do you think that helped?

I'm 25 + 2 with mono-di girls. My doctor hasn't restricted exercise yet (but walking and pre-natal yoga were my only exercises to begin with). I was recently restricted from standing over 15 minutes, and will be taken out of work next month. I feel really good but I get winded pretty fast with exercise, is that normal?

Thank you!

2. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

I would check with your doctor.  Everyone is different. 

I was not allowed to exercise from the start.  I was very in shape and an avid exerciser prior to pregnancy but I had complications.  If you are not allowed to stand for more than 15 minutes I would guess the doctor will say no.  Since I was on bedrest a good portion of my pregnancy I did do bedrest exercises to help with my muscles and stiffness.  These were specifcally doctor approved. 

It is not unusual to be winded.  You are basically running a marathon 24 hours a day growing two human beings.  One of mine pressed against my lungs the last half of my pregnancy making me very easily winded. 

Good luck!! 

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Definitely talk to your doctor and see what a good plan for you is.  That said, I just did some light walking utnil I was put on bedrest.

4. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

As everyone else said, you need to check this with your OB - especially since your twins are mono-di.

My kids are fraternal and I didn't have any cervix issues or other issues so I was able to exercise.  I used to work out before getting pregnant. I think as long as your OB allows it, it is helpful to work out. As with everything else, use common sense - if it feels uncomfortable - just stop and don't overdue it, and make sure you drink water while working out. I was doing light weights and using the balance ball for light abs/biceps/pectoral work out. Up until 30 weeks I used to do about 20-30 minutes on the elliptical at the gym also - 2-3 times a week . After 30 weeks I became too big so I stopped going to the gym. I continued to do light work-out at home using the balance ball and light weights until I gave birth. I think working out helped me sleep better and it helped my back - i never had a back ache while pregnant. Also it helped keep my arms and legs toned, but that was not the main reason while I worked out. I was scared of the back and sleep issues from reading these forums and I was trying to prevent that from happening.

I wanted to add I made it to my scheduled C-Section - 37 weeks  5 days -the kids didn't have any NICU, they came home with me after 3 nights.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy, I hope it goes smoothly.

5. genagoodrow

genagoodrow Well-Known Member

After being laid out with morning sickness and fatigue in the first trimester, I walked a couple of miles a day in the second and third trimesters.  Swam when I could, which was blissful.  Well, floated more than swam.

Walking was really helpful and important for me, it kept me calm and feeling healthy.  I went slow and stopped when I felt the need.  For me controling stress was more of a focus than limiting exercise.  Everyone's different, but that's what worked for me.

Listen to your body, cut out everything extraneous that you can, and talk to your doctor.  If you're up for it, exercise can be wonderful.  Just don't give yourself any expectations.  Go on how you feel.

Best wishes!

6. OahuLove2

OahuLove2 Active Member

Just wanted to thank everyone for responding! Will be talking to my doctor this week about it.