expensive bicycles - worth it or not?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ruthjulia, Jun 9, 2009.

1. ruthjulia

ruthjulia Well-Known Member

my kids really want, and are ready for, big kid bikes. they fit a 16" frame.
    i find the idea of the trek float bikes really appealing, but worry that my kids would get frustrated on them because they love riding friends' bikes with training wheels.
    so that leads me to my current dilemna which is whether i should get bikes from a bike store (the $150-$200 variety) or just get one from target (the $75 variety)?

any advice?

2. korie99

korie99 Well-Known Member

My kids both have 12" bikes that we picked up on Craigslist for $15 each. They LOVE them! Sarah's is a princess bike, Alex's is a Tonka bike. Both came with training wheels. My thinking is that these first big kid bikes are so temporary, they're going to outgrow them so fast, I couldn't imagine spending so much money on them!

3. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

I had never heard of the Trek Float bikes until I read your post. I looked them up, and I guess the idea is ok, but not worth the money. My kids have gotten bikes from walmart. I think the most expensive one my 5 yr old now rides was like $50. My son took his training wheels off this past fall, right before he turned 5. FWIW he's been riding a bicycle since he was around 3. I guess it varies in children, when they are ready and have enough balance to go without training wheels.

Also, the Float bikes wouldnt be that great for a kid who wants to RIDE a bike, as opposed to just pushing themselves with their feet on the ground until they have enough balance to do it with the pedals. JMHO

So, to answer your question, I would get them from the local retail store.

4. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

I bought ours at Walmart. They are Huffy's and spent about $95 for BOTH. The bike guy made some great points about the bikes - they are going to outgrow them QUICKLY - maybe 2 summers. They are going to fall and let them lie around etc., he really recommended going very basic for their first bikes.

I had the top of the line trikes and I honestly don't think it made a HOOT of a difference.....

I don't think you need to. JUST my opinion!!

5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I would just go to Walmart or Target and buy the bikes. My brother has always bought his kids expensive bikes - My kids have never had an expensive bike and none of them know the difference. IMO at this age a bike is a bike.

6. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

I used to think a bike is a bike is a bike. Its not.
    Dh had a super spendy nice bike and I thought it was ridiculous. He thought it was ridiculous at how "heavy" the frame of mine was and how hard it was for me to switch gears etc. I didnt think a new bike would solve my problems I figured I was just out of shape. I rode a whole summer on walmart bike.

Then this summer, DH went and bought me a super nice spendy bike for mothers day. I dont think I will ever go back to walmart type bikes again. Im not sure what we will do with the kids, simply because they grow so fast, but I like the idea of float bikes. I was just talking to a guy at the bike store about them. I think when the time comes (as long as we have the money) we will definitely buy those for our kids.

Your LOs might like training wheels, but I dotn think it would take much for them to excited that they can ride like mom & dad without them!!! What kind of bikes do you & your partner have? What do you want to buy??

7. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

I don't understand the need for those special balance bikes. :huh: It takes all of 5 minutes with a wrench to remove the pedals from a regular bike. After they've gotten the balance/steering down, then you simply add the pedals back on and you buy one bike instead of two.

8. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have always gotten my oldest DD's bikes from BRU, Walmart or Target and the same with the twins new 12 inch bikes too. And they have all been just fine. In fact, Emilie is using one of Caroline's from 5 years ago. I don't see the need for expensive bikes at this age, they are going to outgrow them soon.

9. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

OK, all of you with kids the same age as mine are convincing me that the girls need REAL bikes, not just trikes. We didn't even get them trikes until their birthday last year because DH was convinced they weren't ready for them before that. Now he thinks they "can't handle" bikes. I'll have to test out whether or not Ainsley can get on one, but they look too big on their trikes.

10. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My MIL got the girls expensive bikes from a bike store, and my girls don't want to ride them. I think she would have been better off getting them cheaper bikes at target/walmart.

11. ruthjulia

ruthjulia Well-Known Member

hmmmmmm . . . i'm still conflicted. i think i'm off the floats - i love the idea (btw, they come with pedals that you add on once they get the balance thing down) but i think it would just frustrate my kids.

i don't want to spend a fortune, but i also want a bicycle that is easy to steer and handle and is light. my kids actually need 16" bikes, and i know they will ride them a LOT, and they will have them for probably 3 years, so i just want to make sure i have something that will last and they will like. i'm sure my dd would rather have a pretty bike than a good one. but she is the one that will have the harder time learning to ride so probably needs a better one more so than ds.

i'm going to go to the bicycle store in town and toys r us this weekend and browse my options. will keep you posted!

and kelly - i don't know if i would be getting them bikes if it was just alisha - it's cameron who is WAY into them and loves riding his friends' big boy bikes. alisha isn't nearly as good at riding her tricycle and probably wouldn't care about a big girl bike if it wasn't for cameron wanting one :)