Extra belly "twin skin"

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by KeriU, Dec 23, 2010.

1. KeriU

KeriU Well-Known Member

I have some serious extra skin and I still have belly weight to lose which will result in more sagging skin. I am not gonna lie and say the thought of that doesn't totally freak me out. It is really hard for me to feel comfortable with myself. I don't dress in front of my husband anymore. I always take my clothes to the bathroom to get dressed. He insists that I am still beautiful to him and he says if it weren't for my belly we would have never had the twins. I try not to think about it too much as I am extremely grateful that I was able to carry the twins to term even if it did leave me with more belly skin and stretch marks. I wouldn't change it for anything, so I don't complain much. But I do wonder when I will start to feel more comfortable with myself. Some day when we are done having kids I wouldn't be opposed to having a tummy tuck or something. Also, my muscles that run vertical down the center of my stomach are exttremely separated (I know there is a name for this, but can't remember) I feel like I have a big hole running down the center of my stomach. I read that laying on your back and doing deep breathing will help the muscle come back together. Anyone else experience this? and how long did it take for them to get back to normal?

2. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

I know same here. I don't think it will be back to normal by itself. We have to exercise. That's it. I lost all my preg weight plus extra but still have the belly. It got small but not back to prepregnant. Situp like 1000x/day, it helps. Sounds a lot but only take 15mins. Good luck! And I understand your pain!

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Did you have a C-Section? I only ask b/c if you did, there are some muscles that were cut that will unfortunately never grow back. It gave me what I call "Christmas Tree Fat"- it hangs whereas it never used to. :( Sigh.

4. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

My girls are almost one, I have lost all my pregnancy weight (and then some even though I didn't have anymore to loose) and the twin skin is still there. Now it's almost worse since I'm so thin. I HATE it. Before we found out we were having two I had a "hot tub" fund going...when we found out #2 was actually #2 and #3 the hot tub fund went towards buying our van. Now I keep saying that the "hot tub" fund has become the "tummy tuck" fund, LOL!!! I am DONE having kids and haven't decided 100% whether I'm serious about the tummy tuck thing...I'm leaving it open to discussion ;). I could still wear a bikini after my son and having to go buy a one piece after the girls was devastating to me. I say the same thing as you...I carried them to term and and so happy I did but their gain, in terms of being big and healthy, was my loss in terms of my body. I think it was worth it 100% but I also feel like I have the right to mourn the loss of my tight abs and flat stomach. My husband is that same as yours...he says he loves me even more as the changes to my body resulted in our girls but I just can't seem to get comfortable with it. I guess time will tell with how we use our "fund" :laughing:.

5. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I gave it four years and was 15 lbs below my prepregnancy weight and was working out regularly and the only way I could get rid of it was a tummy tuck. :hush: Best thing I ever did because I was very self conscious about my belly and just how ugly it looked. :(

:hug:

6. KeriU

KeriU Well-Known Member

Yes, this was actually my second c-section. After the first one it wasn't too bad, but I had to work really hard at it. Not sure I will be able to get it back to "normal" now just because of all the excess.

7. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I lost all of the weight after I had my twins but my belly still looked disgusting. Then I got pregnant with my singleton and I have to lose the weight all over again. I don't think my once perfectly flat tummy will ever look the same again. I wish I could afford a tummy tuck.

8. JoannaD

JoannaD Well-Known Member

The book "Lose Your Mummy Tummy" was recommended to me by another twin mom. It focuses on repairing the separated ab muscles. She said she didn't do all the exercises, but saw great results (she posted pictures and the difference was amazing!). I bought it and have read through it and it seems like it will help, but haven't had the time to really try the exercises and get into a routine.

9. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

:hug: :hug: :hug:

I am the same 9 months in! :cry: :cry:

I have lost 3/4 of preg weight but this was my 3rd c section and my belly looks awful. I look about 4-5 months preg still and more on days when I feel really bloated.

Like pp, my belly did this most amazing thing and carried 2 nearly 8 pound babies almost to term and I am sooooooooooo grateful, but my body paid the price.

There are clothes that I still ccan't wear again or are too tight and emphacise my belly.

10. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

I have the same thing..at just 110 I have extra skin and diastasis recti (abdomen sep) I also have a hernia which needs to be repaired. At the boys being 27 months now I can say I am actually ok with it :)

11. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

It's hard In so many ways to be a mom and give give give emotionally, mentally, and physically, AND to feel like we lost a bit of who we were. I'm so glad that your husband is supportive.

I bought a post partum bodysuit and credit it for helping to put everything back in place. Something for mommas who just delivered to consider.

12. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

Yep.. feel the same.. we have #3 on the way and I sometimes don't even recognize my own body.. wondering if I'll ever be proud to wear a bikini or be around DH naked again... The sacrifice of my old body was well worth it but I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one!

13. browneyedgirl

browneyedgirl Well-Known Member

I just ordered this! If I can spend $13, and not look 6 months preggo anymore, I'll be the happiest girl here!