Extra classes for 2.5

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by 1stbabies, Dec 29, 2012.

1. 1stbabies

1stbabies Well-Known Member

We (my DH and I) have been talking about few classes that we want the girls to take. They are now 2.5 and potty trained. While I'm really wanting to give them more, I don't see how that is possible with our schedule. We're normally home with them at 6pm and they are in bed by 9pm-930pm (Yes, they use their Potty power to strech the bed time ...)

What age do you have your twins started in the extra curriculum classes and any weekday per week? or only saturday? both in same classes or separate classes?

Thanks in advance for the feedbacks always, and Happy New Year!

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At that age, if I had it in me, we did just the story hour at the library! :laughing: I also had an infant too. The boys were 19 months old when she was born. I did the library and then signed us all up for a music class.

I think one class/activity/whatever you want to call it, is plenty!!! Once you start that craziness, there's no turning back! Lol! You don't even need to do a structured activity. Playing at home, going to random free functions in your area, the library, are more than enough. My boys are now 5 and my daughter is 3. Nicholas has soccer three days a week(in season), Anthony does tae kwon do two days a week, and Annabella has dance once a week.

We did same classes and I did them during week by myself because dh worked. I even took all three to music class. I know locally, we have a music class that is offered two days during the week at two different times, and then she also has two night classes, which are a big draw for her. All those parents who work and miss out on these types of activities can actually partake in them.

Stay home and "relax!" Lol! Good luck finding something though! Music, little gym/toddler time, library, gymnastics, swimming are some to name a few. :)

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

At that age we loved Music Together, 1x/week

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Starting around 2 we began attending a couple of parented playgroups each week (Mondays & Wednesdays) although those were in the morning. We do have some kids who come with their nannies/caregivers though.

The girls didn't do their first unparented thing until this past summer, just after turning 4, when they started swimming lessons. So far, I've always booked them in the same class. We're thinking of maybe putting them in a gymnastics class this spring as they seem quite interested but that would mean no swimming lessons. I'm hesitant with scheduled activities though. I think it can become very overwhelming for everyone in the family very quickly.

5. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you are both working full time what the kids really need is mommy and daddy time. If you want to have a more structured activity on the weekend you can look into parent music classes, parent and child tumbling, gymboree, my gym etc. Or save the money and do some fun local things that are not as structured and allow you more freedom to choose when and what.

I only work part time and at 2.5 we did gymboree. More for me to get out of the house and have something I could do with both kids on my own.

6. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

My kids are in preschool class for 2 days/week. They have been in gymnastic class for 3 or 4 months. They really love it. It is 2 days/week, 30 mins/ day. Since Jan/13, they will start in door soccer.

Besides classes, we go to children's museums, parks, bounce house, soft play, library,.. On the weekend. My kids love going out and doing things. And they well behave in public. So we go out a lot even in winter time.

I work full time at home. My schedule is flex. So I can drop them off and pick them up at school and ymca. But honestly, our schedule is very very busy. We talked about letting them learn how to swim. But I don't see how we can squeeze it in our schedule now. So we might have to pick between swimming or gymnastics.

7. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We tried real classes (ie, not with us) at that age and it was a disaster. They were not ready to be separated from us. I'll try again when they're older. We did swimming lessons in the Summer though but we were with them in the pool so it was fine.

They probably get plenty of activities during the day though, I'm assuming they're at daycare or something.

8. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

I assume you have a nanny? I would have her take them to some sort of preschool type program during the day while you work (story hour, little gym, or whatever). I am also a working mom, and I can tell you that after school and weekend activities are very stressful when you have so little time as it is. At some point it becomes necessary, but not at 2 1/2 (in my opinion).