Failed glucose test

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by knorts, Mar 15, 2007.

1. knorts

knorts Well-Known Member

UGH...just venting! I just got the results from my 1-hour glucose and failed. I was at 154 (not sure what that range means). I have been eating very well too, so I am somewhat surprised at my "bad mark", but I guess there is always room for improvement. Wondering if any of you out there who've also failed your first test have any suggestions for improvement!?! Any suggestions or input are greatly appreciated!

2. Britten

Britten Well-Known Member

I just called about mine and they told me it was 132 - which she said was "good" and didn't order the screening for me. I'm curious to know what the ranges are as well.

3. knorts

knorts Well-Known Member

They said anything below 140 was considered "acceptable". So you're doing GREAT!

4. traci_roo

traci_roo Well-Known Member

I failed both my glucose tests so I don't have good advice. They did make me load up on carbs though a few days before my 3 hour test.

5. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

No suggestions really. I just wanted to say that I failed the 1 hour but passed my 3 hour test. I have no idea what my 'ranges' were. I was just told that by passing the 3 hour I didn't have to worry much about diet (or at least I don't have to worry about checking my blood sugar or anything). I guess I try not to eat too many sweets, but we have neighbors who keep bringing goodies by so it's kind of hard to NOT have just a little taste. [​IMG] You probably have a good chance of passing the 3 hour test. I was not told to load up on carbs in the days before the test, but since I've had the test, I've heard that some doctors do it this way.

6. kristy horner

kristy horner Well-Known Member

I, too am in the same boat. I had my 28 week appt and glucola test on Thursday the 15th and failed also! My level was 171, which I'm guessing is pretty high. I think the range for the 1-hour test is under 140. If it is 140 to 200 you have to do the 3-hour test, but that doesn't necessarily mean GD. Not looking forward to another 4 hours in the dr. office, waiting!

What is odd to me, is that I had just seen the dr. on Monday the 12th and he said I had a 98% chance of passing and that all of my levels were great...Maybe it was the carbs that I ate for dinner the night before??? I don't know for sure. What I do know is meanwhile, they told me to watch my carbs until the 3-hr test next week and I'm starving without my carbs. I'm a very picky eater and the thought of veggies just makes me gag! I know it's for the good of my sweet babies, but they make me literally sick...Any suggestions?

7. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

From what I've heard and experienced myself it's easy to fail the 1 hr and pass the 3 hr. I failed the 1 hr w/ a 146- part of it is (I think) they're not as strict w/ your diet and such prior to you taking the one hour test as they are the 3 hr. Good luck to you! I hope you pass that 3 hr! You've got a good chance!

8. Heather C

Heather C Well-Known Member

i failed my first by a BUNCH of points and then passed the second one. the nutritionist said its ridiculous to take a non-fasting glucose test- which is what i had done. it was totally off but i was pretty freaked out for 24 hours! [​IMG]