fainted at ob/gyn!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by feismomof6, Jul 21, 2007.

1. feismomof6

feismomof6 Active Member

I had an appointment on Friday at my ob/gyn for a repeat pap & Mirena IUD insertion. When my doctor was all done--I felt kind of funny so she told me to just "hang out" on the table for a while. She left the room & I decided "I don't have time to "hang out" !! my appointment was supposed to be in the morning but it had to be rescheduled at the last minute for the afternoon. I started getting dressed & then I felt really weird & light headed so I sat on the chair. The next thing I know--I'm looking up at the examining table, my doctor & 2 nurses & I'm trying to figure out where the **** I am! I fainted & fell over, hit my head on the floor, & they found me with the chair on top of me. I still didn't feel well so they called an ambulance! I'm fine now, I just have a big bump on my head & a headache that won't go away!!! This has never happened to me before & I'm still freaked out. At the ER they said it's a common response after a proceedure but I still cannot get the whole thing out of my head. My husband had to pick me up with the 6 kids. I'm thankful to be o.k. & I'm so happy to be back home nursing my babies!!!!!!! Has ANYONE else fainted after having Mirena inserted???? The doctor didn't think it was related since it happened after & not during but I KNOW that was the cause. Thanks for listening! Aileen

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

OMG, how strange! :hug99: Glad you are ok!

3. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I've never had an IUD so I wouldn't know about that. I bet the blood does rush down there though and can cause fainting. :hug99:

4. Britten

Britten Well-Known Member

I had a procedure done once where I almost fainted afterwards. I was very nervous about it beforehand - had it done, it was no big deal, I felt okay. But when I stood up the room spun and I almost passed out. The doctor told me I probably had a large surge of adrenaline to kind of get me through the procedure....and then when it was over the adrenaline dropped suddenly... which can cause fainting in anyone.

If it doesn't happen again, maybe that's what happened to you....but that's just my guess.

5. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

My ob (who's pretty laid back) also made me wait after my IUD insertion. He said it's very common for women to faint after insertion if they get up soon after, so they just have everyone lay down for 10-15 minutes afterward. I just hung out until they came back in and didn't have an issue....but you're right that's the most likely reason why you fainted!

Hope your headache goes away!

6. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

I have fainted numerous times after just a PAP smear! Dr. said it's normal but fairly uncommon.
    Now I have to drink some OJ and slowly stand after the procedure. I also try and have someone come with me to drive!