Fake Crying and playing me...anyone else?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by lovemytwinsx2, Mar 4, 2010.

1. lovemytwinsx2

lovemytwinsx2 Well-Known Member

Ok, wow, so the thought hadnt really occured to me until the other day when my EI nurse was here for her visit. My one twin son Dylan started crying because he didnt get his way, and then again not too long after that...And my nurse said to me that he is "fake crying", she could tell he was such a FAKER..LOL...and that he was "Playing" me b/c I wouldnt give in to his demands...I often thought maybe some of his cry's were fake, you can sort of tell just by the way he does it, his facial expressions from a REAL cry...but still..being a 1st time mom with twins no less it was hard to tell. :eek: :huh:

So am wondering...Anyone else encounter this with any of their children, and what did you do as to not drive yourself crazy with listening to it?

It can be frustrating, irritating and stressful. I just either walk away, ignore it, or try to engage in something else to get the "fake crying" to stop...LOL...He does not do it every day, but when it does happen it can be stressful just listening to it...My other twin doesn not do any of that as of yet..LOL..

It is just tooo funny that at this age they know how to "play" us like fiddles...and my strings have been tugged on plenty, but i keep my head on straight and try not to let it get to me, I do tell him to "stop" or "that's enough", but not sure if he really understands it...I think he does, but he just loves to drive mommy crazy, is there another "driving mommy crazy club" for me...LOL thanks...
    :D

2. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

Mine do the fake cry, but it is more than obvious, the real vs fake for them so I just ignore them :) Or tell them they're being silly. Isn't it amazing how quickly they pick up on stuff? DD's OT says that manipulation is an important social skill, we just need to guide them in appropriate manipulations and social behaviour. GL!

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My DD is a fake crier and I can tell because when she is really crying, she has fat tears and her face gets all blotchy. Fake crying, her face stays normal color and she has no tears. I found that ignoring the fake crying helped it to stop, she does not do it nearly as much.

4. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I have a fake cryer as well LOL Although his is really obvious because he puts his hands over his eyes and just sounds like he's crying but when he's really crying he doesn't cover his face.
    I also ignored it or said, Jakey's silly! He doesn't do it as much anymore and I think ignoring it really helped speed that along. GL!

5. Fossie

Fossie Well-Known Member

One with a fake cry here too! DD does it All. The. Time, and it drives me insane especially since the minute I pick her up, give her something that she was trying to tell me she wants, etc. she turns off the waterworks, stops poking her lip out, and smiles again. I, honestly, thought it was a girl thing (since ds doesn't do it) and I've beeen blaming it hon er being a drama queen. I ignore it most of the time, but she is a persistent little monster and sometimes the ignoring just makes it turn into a full-fledged temper tantrum with "real" crying - I ignore that too, but it is harder!