Fashion DISASTERS!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by bridget nanette, Oct 23, 2007.

1. bridget nanette

bridget nanette Well-Known Member

AHHHHHH!!! :icon_eek: I screamed as I came home from work yesterday....Mikayla ran into my arms wearing a black Halloween shirt with an orange witch, a pastel pair of crop pants from this summer decorated with pastel pink, yellow, lt. green and blue, with a pair of dark purple socks with WHITE SANDALS!

Our nanny says that she chose the clothes herself...OBVIOUSLY!

Then I come home today and Michael is wearing a pink t-shirt of Mikayla's with a purple Dutch Wonderland Castle on it and his diaper. Our nanny said he had a fit and wouldn't wear anything but PINK today!

Here's to toddler independence! Any more Fashion Disaster Stories??????

Bridget

2. debid

debid Well-Known Member

My guys have worn swim trunks over their pants before. Who knows what goes through their minds but it's not a daily thing for us yet and I'm sure there is much more where that came from.

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Meghan thinks that flowers go with flowers. So she will choose red flowered pants to wear with a purple flowered shirt. She's getting better, but I try to gently nudge her to something that matches.

4. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

Two different socks so that one matches the top and one the pants. But now my oldest has to wear panties that are the same color as something in her outfit. Where did that come from?

5. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Ainsley has an orange shirt and skirt that she kept wanting to wear together (I let her one day when we weren't going anywhere) that are completely different oranges and looked awful together, but hey, they are both orange!

6. natmarie

natmarie Well-Known Member

My DS1 has become very independent with his clothes. Sometimes the combination that he comes up with is wild. Sometimes I can talk him into something else. However, I figure this is a form of him trying out being independent. Also, picking his clothes out to me isn't a big enough deal to get into a quarrel with him over it (depending on where we are going). He is such a stubborn, cute kid (who I am told is a lot like me) that I definetly have to pick my battles with him.

7. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Mine is not so bad, but Amy went to daycare today wearing a red corduroy jumper, a pale pink T-shirt underneath, a hot pink diaper cover (they are obsessed with diaper covers because they think they're "underwear"), yellow socks, a purple knitted hat, and black patent-leather shoes. All of which she chose herself.

Fortunately Sarah will still pretty much wear whatever I put on her, although Amy's recent obsession with wearing dresses is rubbing off on Sarah too. But at least it's not every day, and I get to pick the dress.

I know this is strictly "pick your battles" territory, but it drives me nuts to see them wearing random assortments of non-matching clothes, when we have so many cute things. It's hard for me to let go of!

I was actually just thinking about this because tomorrow is Picture Day at daycare. I hope I can at least coax her into something that doesn't clash violently.

8. fourznuff

fourznuff Well-Known Member

At least yours will wear clothes. One of my boys refuses to get dressed. It is a huge battle to get him into ANYTHING! Oh wait...he loves shoes. Yes, shoes. Of course they can't be two of the same shoes that would be too unoriginal. So basically he walks around in a diaper and mismatched shoes. He says he wants to be a clown. I am beginning to believe him.

*just wanted to add that I do make him put clothes on to leave the house. Luckily he likes to go places so I can usually convince him.

-Kimberly

9. Rachel&Emily

Rachel&Emily Well-Known Member

I think that an honorable mention should go to what DH dressed Rachel in on Friday.... dark green and light green striped pants from OshKosh; teal and white polka dot shirt, pink, yellow and lime green striped socks...he finished it up with her pink and white tennis shoes.

I could not do anything about it because I was at the hospital w/Emily but very nicely let him know that from now on outfits will be layed out and the girls can pick which one they would like. Even the day care ladies mentioned what she was wearing and asked if daddy dressed her that morning. I dread the day that they actually go nuts wanting specific things.

alexis

10. avaoliviamom

avaoliviamom Well-Known Member

Olivia has be known to have some pretty "original"outfits. A few weeks back, she wore hot pink capris, a striped apple green and white shirt, yellow socks and then topped it off with a sleeveless sleeping beauty nightgown. And she REFUSED to take any of it off.

:rolleyes:

11. veggiehead

veggiehead Well-Known Member

I want to see pictures!!!! :p

12. 8isgreat

8isgreat Well-Known Member

See...I take pictures of the kiddos and when they are teenagers (like 3 of mine) and complain about my fashion....I bring out the pics!!!

8P

I also pick my battles and some days I am not up for battling the clothes thing.....

13. cabonnell

cabonnell Well-Known Member

so far I've only had one want to wear her nighty shirt to school the next day. It's happened a couple times now. Why fight her. It was against my better judgement, but I let her. Within reason, we have to start letting them make those choices for themselves.

14. Jaci

Jaci Well-Known Member

I am not kidding, LuLu wears some sort of costume every day. Usually, it is something that doesn't match or totally out of season. This summer, she wore a fair costume almost every day (even to the beach) and now she's into snow boots...everyday!

I pick my battles, but this is not one I choose to take on!

I'll post a couple photos :)

Attached Files:

15. bridget nanette

QUOTE(avaoliviamom @ Oct 24 2007, 07:48 AM) [snapback]464777[/snapback]
    Olivia has be known to have some pretty "original"outfits. A few weeks back, she wore hot pink capris, a striped apple green and white shirt, yellow socks and then topped it off with a sleeveless sleeping beauty nightgown. And she REFUSED to take any of it off.

:rolleyes:

Too funny!! I can just picture that!!

16. bridget nanette

QUOTE(Jaci @ Oct 24 2007, 01:21 PM) [snapback]465306[/snapback]
    I am not kidding, LuLu wears some sort of costume every day. Usually, it is something that doesn't match or totally out of season. This summer, she wore a fair costume almost every day (even to the beach) and now she's into snow boots...everyday!

I pick my battles, but this is not one I choose to take on!

I'll post a couple photos :)

Wow! Thanks for the photos!! I really wish I would have caught Mikayla on film. Our nanny did send me a picture of Michael in his pink shirt and diaper....it is on my cell phone, I'll have to try to get it off and post it here!

HA!! LOL!

Bridget :)

17. PRJP

PRJP Well-Known Member

I am not allowed to pic out clothes....the boys have to do it. This has been happening since they were about 2

Jamison is pretty normal....always wears jeans(by his choice) so cant be too crazy. Peter on the other hand....decides, for example, he wants to be Scoop (from Bob the builder) so is yellow head to toe or wants to be "crazy"... one pink sock, one purple, orange pants yellow shirt and red hat. Every day is different.

Yesterday....he had McQUeen patterned pj pants and a fire engine patterned turtle neck, one red sock and one white. He thought he was super cool. I tried to take a picture and he said....momma, no pictures!

I actually dont mind it too much...I can always find my boys in a crowd!

18. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Rachel&Emily @ Oct 24 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]464746[/snapback]
    Even the day care ladies mentioned what she was wearing and asked if daddy dressed her that morning.

My DH does stuff like this on purpose. I think he figures that everyone knows that Daddies have no fashion sense (even though he is quite a conservative dresser himself), so why not take advantage of it. One day he sent Amy to school in a glittery leotard. (Why someone even makes glittery leotards in 12-month size is beyond me -- it was a hand-me-down.) He also likes to pick pants and shirts with clashing patterns. :rolleyes:

QUOTE(Jaci @ Oct 24 2007, 05:21 PM) [snapback]465306[/snapback]

Great photos! Especially "princess Lulu on the beach." :D

FWIW, I was pretty lucky with their clothes for picture day. They are both wearing purple jumpers (granted, Amy's is an Easter dress and it's almost too small) with solid-color T-shirts underneath. However, Amy is wearing blue & green socks and Sarah is wearing socks with butterflies on them, and they're both wearing sandals. Hopefully the photos will not include their feet.

19. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

20. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

I think Jade looks fantastic! To me, those clothes go great together. I guess it's a good thing I have boys :laughing:

And I'm in love with Lulu! She looks like a whole lot of fun :D

21. veggiehead

veggiehead Well-Known Member

Those are GREAT pics!! My kind of fashion designers!!!

22. frickandfrack

frickandfrack Well-Known Member

What a great thread! I have tears running down my face from laughing so hard. Part of the beauty of being a toddler is you can get away with these things -- enjoy it and take lots of pictures.

23. Suffmann

Suffmann Member

Don't worry about this trend. All German tourists wear sandals with socks. It's not a fashion sin anymore. Also, nowadays people prefer wearing replica clothes and lots of sites sell them. Read Mau-fashion.com thoughts on Designer Discreet. It's one of the stores which sells fake clothes and accessories of famous brands.