Fatigue suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Mama Fisch, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Mama Fisch

Mama Fisch New Member

Just wondering how some of you Mom's coped with fatigue and people in the last few months of pregnancy.

I'm doing okay. I'll be 28 weeks on Friday, but I'm extremely tired and people are so negative. All kinds of comments made are annoying and not helping even a little bit.

"That must just be awful."
    "Enjoy your sleep now, because you'll be really tired once the babies get here."
    "These last weeks are going to go so slow."
    "You aren't going to get much bigger are you?"
    "Your world is never going to be the same. Good luck with that!"

I'm trying to stay positive, but honestly.....I feel like not seeing anybody until the babies are here and even then I'd be okay with certain people not making an appearance.

Plus....I'm really not that big yet for pregnant with twins I don't think. I don't know....it's disheartening. Being tired and the ligament pain don't really help much either. I also had my gallbladder out when I was at 23 weeks, and the babies and I are doing well from that except for discomfort from that and needing to watch what I eat.

Any suggestions?

2. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Congratulations for your twins and welcome to twinstuff, I hope you like it. Are the twins your first kids?

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time with comments. I don't think people mean any harm with comments - it's just that it gets annoying - so I understand where you're coming from.

This may not be what you want to hear, but from my experience - this one comment - is VERY REAL - "Enjoy your sleep now, because you'll be really tired once the babies get here." :).

Try to relax, take it one day at a time and do your best to be comfortable. It was just as annoying when people used to say to me - "how can it be twins? you're not big enough for twins" - being that I was nauseous all the time and I couldn't eat that much - but in the end everything was fine.

Hang in there and don't let the comments get to you. I hope the rest of your pregnancy is as smooth as possible and don't hesitate to ask any questions here.

3. Mama Fisch

Mama Fisch New Member

Yes they're our first. We're very excited about their arrival. Hopefully it's a safe arrival.

I'm exhausted all the time, and that's the other thing.....I completely get that we're not going to be sleeping a whole lot once the babies are here. I don't get a lot of sleep now though due to being uncomfortable and dealing with bathroom issues from getting my gall bladder removed. Plus, when you're trying to stay positive.....it just doesn't help.

I have issues with what I can eat and what I can't, and people questioning how much I'm eating. They don't listen when I tell them that smaller snacks are easier for me than big meals. I feel like I'm constantly pleading my case, and that's not fun when I don't feel good and I'm tired.

What did you do about your fatigue in the last trimester?

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Last trimester I was on bedrest (well from weeks 28 on) and I just slept the time away.  And watched Charmed. 

Have you tried sleeping in a recliner at night?  I found that for about two weeks that was the only way I could sleep. 

5. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Unfortunately there's not much you can do about the fatigue, growing two people is hard work.

I say have a nap and ignore the heck out of everyone ;) . Unfortunately the comments never stop, so I think most of us just have a few stock answers to rely on. If certain people are really irritating you, I'd either be direct that you would only like to hear encouraging things. I think most people are well intentioned, they just aren't thinking about the effect their words are having. You don't have to defend yourself at all; just tell people that you're taking care of yourself, you trust your body to tell you when you're hungry, with the subtext of LEAVE ME ALONE.

And welcome! I remember too well how tired I felt those last few weeks; take good care of yourself, and come and complain here whenever you need to.

6. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Ignore them.  Easier said than done, I know.  But you will be getting comments galore once the babies are here... from every random stranger, as well as family.  The ones that killed me are those like, "I'd kill myself if I found out I was having twins."  or "Having twins is my worst nightmare."  Really?  What posessed you to say that to me, just now???  But I was excited, so I tried not to let it bother me too much.

Growing 2 babies was exhausting.  I would make sure your iron levels are high enough, though your Dr probably checks that.  Taking it with Vit C (even just with a glass of OJ) will help it absorb better and can help with some of the energy issues.  I ended up on modified bedrest the last 9 weeks, so I didn't do much other than knit, watch movies and try to referee my other kids while reclined in the living room armchair.  Do take it easy as best as you can!  Congratulations!!!

7. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

You have been given great advice already. Just smile and nod. People mean well, but they are annoying !!

As for the tired, rest as much as you can. I agree with the recliner suggestion as well....it helped me greatly.

8. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

28 weeks is when it gets pretty tiring-just rest whenever you can!! Like Jen said growing two babies is hard work and your body will certainly know it. 
    Like Bex, I was on bedrest starting at 31 weeks and I just slept and watched tv-it went slow but it was my bodies way of telling me I HAD to slow down.
    Drink lots of water, eat lots of protein, stuff pillows under your belly and accept any and all help when its offered!!

Congrats and welcome TS-we're here to support you!

9. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

I remember those comments! They were either... You're carrying twins? Why are you do small? Or are you sure there aren't triplets in there? You are huge! I've now learned to smile and not take it personally because they have no idea what they are talking about!

As far as fatigue goes, others are right.. Take very good care of yourself in these last weeks there is no comparison, in my experienced but humble opinion, between twin pregnancy and singleton pregnancy. I am almost 33 weeks with #4 and by this point with my twins I could barely walk up the stairs I was so exhausted. I honestly believe that part of the exhaustion after twins in born is because it is so hard sleeping at the end of pregnancy... It just adds up.

I could never sleep in a recliner, but what helped was naps and early bedtime. You don't ever need to make excuses for how you are feeling, eating, sleeping, etc. You are doing a great job. Those babies are lucky to have a momma like you. Keep up the good work. Remember, you are in good company!

10. southernmommy

southernmommy Well-Known Member

I slept 12 hours a day when I was preggo with my twins. I was so exhausted all the time. I would count down the minutes until DH got home so that I could go to bed. Towards the end I napped a lot too. My youngest at the time was a snuggler so we would cuddle on the couch and he'd watch tv while I slept.

As for comments I'd just give people a look that said 'did you really just say that?' or give them a sarcastic reply. I was too tired and miserable to care what they thought.

11. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

I hated those comments too.  I didn't get much sleep toward the end of my pregnancy because I was so uncomfortable anyway, so "enjoy the sleep now" was stupid advice.  Unfortunately the only thing you can really do is ignore it and then vent about it to someone you actually want to talk to (for me, my husband!).  People think they can say anything to pregnant women and really they should just keep their mouths shut!

As for the fatigue, if you can get people to help you with things definitely do.  My husband pretty much did everything for me -- I came home from work (working at a desk job) and laid down on the couch, and he cooked me dinner, brought it to me, cleaned up, did the laundry, did all our grocery shopping, really everything.

12. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I was on bedrest from 20 weeks working from my bed. But although I was lying down so much I was still exhausted and napped several times a day. It wtas more comfortable to get my sleep in short stretches than to aim for a whole night with its frequent interruptions.

Take good care of yourself and try to maintain a healthy diet rich in iron and protein, that seemed to help a bit with my energy levels.

As for the comments: Steel yourself - it will probably get worse once the babies are there: I hardly got any while I was pregnant because I did not clearly show until I was on bedrest but once the twins were born and I was out and about with them it was dreadful - most days I was polite but tried to keep moving to discourage comments and conversation, some days I was too tired to care if my response was rude. Mostly people don't seem to realize how intrusive or impolite their remarks actually are.

13. Mama Fisch

Mama Fisch New Member

I just want to thank all of you for your positive comments and support. You have no idea how much your encouragement means to me. It's just so nice to know that there are people out there that know EXACTLY how I feel.

Thank you.

14. Mama Fisch

Mama Fisch New Member

Oh...and thank you for the welcome!!! I'm so glad to have this twin resource!!!! :D

15. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Glad we can help!! Keep us posted on how you're doing!