febrile seizures

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by nicolina, Dec 30, 2007.

1. nicolina

nicolina Well-Known Member

I was wondering if any of you ever experieced a febrile siezure?
    I am so afraid to leave him now with anyone..
    we were in my pedi's office at the time THANK GOD!
    my dad must ahve been helping me out from up above.
    I had given him motrin at 8 am and his doctoirs appointment was at 2:20.. so I wanted them to check his temp when we got there to see what was going on with him, I think he had a ear infection..
    he had a 102.9 fever rectally. while I asked the doctor if he would give him some tylenol before I leave .. I wasnt comfortable leaving and driving home with that temp being so high.
    so once he left I was looking at rocco and he just had a glare on his face.. thinking he was relaxed and sleepy from the high fever.. but he wouldnt blink or move his head in any direction. so I told the pedi that something is wrong.. so he took him from me and put him on the table adn ask for help and called 911 emt's came and we were rushed to the ER.. I was losing my mind and almost fainted I realy thougth he was dying. His lips and hands turned blue.. I was done at that point.. I will never get that look out of my head again... I saw my father die and this is second most scaring thing I have ever seen..
    he si fine now .. they gave him a shot of anti for his ear infection.. so he is getting those by needles to get the medicine in his system quickly..
    I am so glad he is fine now.. i jsut cant believe that this can happen again.. if he gets a 99 or 100 temp I have to treat it aggressivly..
    any one out there have had this happen?

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Oh I'm so sorry you experienced this. I hope your little guy is better real soon. While I haven't dealt with this as a parent, I was 11 years old and my younger sister had a febrile seizure. It was very scary... her temp was 104 when the ambulance came. My dad immediately rushed her into a luke warm bath with her clothes on to try to get the temp down quickly while we waited for the ambulance. She was about a year old when it happened and was totally fine afterwards and it never happened again.

When my girls got their first fever I was so worried this would happen. The doctor said its not uncommon for babies to get fevers in the 103-104 range and as long as tylenol kept it down (they were too young for motrin at the time), we were ok. That night Ana's fever was over 103. We took her temp every diaper change (poor kiddo), kept a cool wash cloth on her head and gave her tylenol every 4 hours. She was fine, but now when either of them have a fever I'm very proactive about it.

I hope you are all feeling better soon, Leighann

3. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

oh I could have written your post about my 11 yr old! he had a febrile seizure at 13 months - but we were at a restaurant. they are very scary. I also thought Jared was dying - I will never forget that day. everytime he has a fever to this day I panic!! last August he had a fever of 106 - it landed him in the hospital for a week but no seizure - they explained to me the highness of the fever is not what matters but how quickly it got there - the sudden rise can cause the seizure. I am sorry that had to happen. I will tell you that my son never has had another one - hopefully yours won't either.

:hug99: , Heather

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

Oh how scary! :love0028:

5. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

Anthony has had several febrile seizures. The first time, I was at work and dh had JUST walked in the door with him after taking him to the pedi. Dh called 911 because he stopped breathing (which is atypical, the pedi explained) and then he called me and said, "Come home, I called 911 for Anthony." and that was ALL he said! Scared the heck out of me!

He's had several since then, but none in the last 6 mo. Luckily, that's in part because he's been healthy! (until now, strep throat, ugh!) but hopefully he's also outgrowing them. Aside from the first one, we've never called 911 or taken him to ER since then. We just call pedi and make an appt to try and get control over whatever infection he's brewing.

They are very scary, and I'm so sorry it had you so frightened :hug:

6. nicolina

QUOTE(Donia @ Dec 30 2007, 06:50 PM) [snapback]550923[/snapback]
    Anthony has had several febrile seizures. The first time, I was at work and dh had JUST walked in the door with him after taking him to the pedi. Dh called 911 because he stopped breathing (which is atypical, the pedi explained) and then he called me and said, "Come home, I called 911 for Anthony." and that was ALL he said! Scared the heck out of me!

He's had several since then, but none in the last 6 mo. Luckily, that's in part because he's been healthy! (until now, strep throat, ugh!) but hopefully he's also outgrowing them. Aside from the first one, we've never called 911 or taken him to ER since then. We just call pedi and make an appt to try and get control over whatever infection he's brewing.

They are very scary, and I'm so sorry it had you so frightened :hug:

do you notice any delayed motor skill or speaking because he had so many?
    I thought my son would have brain damage at that time... I was so scared he wasnt going ot pick up where he left developementally. but he is fine.. he went back to crawling and saying da da da..
    he will be 9months on wednesday.
    thanks for responding.

7. nicolina

thanks..
    I feel better knowing that it happesn and the babies are alright just reading on your posts
    thanks again..

8. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

Anthony was already delayed when he had his first seizure, but no we didn't notice that it affected his development at all. The pediatrician was very reassuring and said that febrile seizures aren't a real concern for any sort of brain damage (my other twin has a brain injury, so it was a concern of ours, too, as we were learning about febrile seizures). They are scary, but that's about the worst thing about them is the fear, for the kids and the moms!! And having one febrile seizure does increase the risk of having others until they outgrow the age when they are common, but it doesn't put them at a higher risk for any sort of seizure disorders later (at least, that's what our docs told us).

9. aandax246

aandax246 Well-Known Member

It's never happened to my girls or my grandchildren, but one of the coaches at the high school where I retired had a daughter that when she ran the slightest temperature - she had a seizure. It was very nerve racking for the family. They ran all kinds of tests. They determined that that temps set off the seizures.

10. nicolina

QUOTE(Donia @ Dec 30 2007, 07:51 PM) [snapback]550978[/snapback]
    Anthony was already delayed when he had his first seizure, but no we didn't notice that it affected his development at all. The pediatrician was very reassuring and said that febrile seizures aren't a real concern for any sort of brain damage (my other twin has a brain injury, so it was a concern of ours, too, as we were learning about febrile seizures). They are scary, but that's about the worst thing about them is the fear, for the kids and the moms!! And having one febrile seizure does increase the risk of having others until they outgrow the age when they are common, but it doesn't put them at a higher risk for any sort of seizure disorders later (at least, that's what our docs told us).

thanks for your relply. I am so sorry to hear about your twins. How old are they now? How are they doing?
    you are a brave mother. I think I would cry every day.. I know you get stronger when life gives you these hard paths.
    just was thinking how strong you must be.

11. Mommy2ATeam

Mommy2ATeam Well-Known Member

We've been dealing with febrile seizures in Alana for a while now. She's only had one that we've actually witnessed the seizing, but twice, we've seen the after-effects (crying uncontrollably and unable to focus on us, not speaking, etc.) b/c they happened in the middle of the night. Our pedi (and my cousin, who is a dr) have assured us that it is not damaging and she will outgrow it. After Alana's first one, we found out that my mom had them as a child as well. The scariest thing about Alana's is that she doesn't register a temp until AFTER the seizure. Like a pp said, it's the rapid rise in temp that causes hers, not how high it gets. The first one we witnessed, her temp was only 99.6 when we got on the ambulance and 104.5 by the time we got to the ER just a few minutes later. It is very scary but you just have to remind yourself that they are NOT harmful and they are temporary. If, and that's kind of a big if, he has another one, you will get through it! :hug99:

12. nicolina

QUOTE(Mommy2ATeam @ Dec 31 2007, 06:53 PM) [snapback]552171[/snapback]
    We've been dealing with febrile seizures in Alana for a while now. She's only had one that we've actually witnessed the seizing, but twice, we've seen the after-effects (crying uncontrollably and unable to focus on us, not speaking, etc.) b/c they happened in the middle of the night. Our pedi (and my cousin, who is a dr) have assured us that it is not damaging and she will outgrow it. After Alana's first one, we found out that my mom had them as a child as well. The scariest thing about Alana's is that she doesn't register a temp until AFTER the seizure. Like a pp said, it's the rapid rise in temp that causes hers, not how high it gets. The first one we witnessed, her temp was only 99.6 when we got on the ambulance and 104.5 by the time we got to the ER just a few minutes later. It is very scary but you just have to remind yourself that they are NOT harmful and they are temporary. If, and that's kind of a big if, he has another one, you will get through it! :hug99:

thank you so much.. I was wondering the same thing about that.. I know his temp was not high when I left. he was laughing and having fun smiling at everyone.. I wonder if he has had any that I dont know about..
    its so good to hear from other moms.. I feel like my husband doesnt get how scary it was.. he was not there until after.
    I realy thougth he was dead andseeing that has knocked me off my feet this weekend.. I feel like a truck hit me..
    thanks again.

13. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

OMG how scarry. I can't even imagine what you went through. I am so glad to hear that he is feeling better, and I really hope that you don't have to endure that again!!

14. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

QUOTE(nicolina @ Dec 31 2007, 12:38 PM) [snapback]552156[/snapback]
    thanks for your relply. I am so sorry to hear about your twins. How old are they now? How are they doing?
    you are a brave mother. I think I would cry every day.. I know you get stronger when life gives you these hard paths.
    just was thinking how strong you must be.

That's so thoughtful of you, thanks for the encouragement! lol. My kids are great now. Anthony (the one with the febrile seizures) is at the slow end of development compared to his peers, but he IS in the "normal" range for all developmental areas...a great accomplishment for him!! And Ethan is doing wonderfully, he has some subtle effects of his brain injury (due to encephalitis) but if you don't know what you're looking for, you wouldn't even notice. He's my miracle when you consider the odds he had to overcome! And you know, I figure all of us mamas MUST be strong...because mothering is HARD work!!!

15. nicolina

QUOTE(Donia @ Jan 1 2008, 05:08 AM) [snapback]552781[/snapback]
    That's so thoughtful of you, thanks for the encouragement! lol. My kids are great now. Anthony (the one with the febrile seizures) is at the slow end of development compared to his peers, but he IS in the "normal" range for all developmental areas...a great accomplishment for him!! And Ethan is doing wonderfully, he has some subtle effects of his brain injury (due to encephalitis) but if you don't know what you're looking for, you wouldn't even notice. He's my miracle when you consider the odds he had to overcome! And you know, I figure all of us mamas MUST be strong...because mothering is HARD work!!!

we all need encouragement when days get really hard.. I was just telling my friend who is expecting a baby that men dont worry as much as us.. I know we have a sixth sense to our children. I usually know when something is wrong with one of my kids.. my husband is more like its nothing.. and its usually turns out to be something..
    if you dont mind me asking what is encephalitis? how did he get it? I first thought of mosquitos but not sure..
    I am glad to hear they are doing wonderfully.. its good to hear good news like that..
    thanks.

16. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your fear of it re-occurring. Lorien had her first febrile seizure about 3 months ago. It was the scariest thing I've ever seen in my life. It happened while she was right in my arms and while I was on the phone with the nurse from the peds office. I was calling to make an appointment because her fever was so high (102.5) and wasn't coming down much with Motrin and Tylenol. She was literally in my arms. I had given her a dose of Motrin at about 6am but it was the last dose I had. I had no more Motirn and no more Tylenol. I was going to wait until dh came home from work but my dad was on his way to visit so I asked him to pick some up for me (It was about 11:30am or so). He was at the drug store when Lorien started to have the seizure. I was so panicked but THANK GOD for the nurse who talked me through it and helped to keep me calm. I was able to be there for Lorien and kept talking to her and telling her I love her and to be strong and that I know she is scared but that I was there for her and she will be alright. She finally stopped seizing (it seemed to last FOREVER but was probably only about a minute to 2 minutes) but she was not really conscious and was making this aweful sound that I will never forget. I called 911 and we went to the ER.

Just about 2 weeks ago, she started to have a fever again that just would not go away. Even with Motrin and Tylenol it wouldn't go under 101. But then again, it's not how high the temp is but how rapidly it increases. We got through it with no seizure but it's so freakin scary. Sometimes she would just have this look in her eyes and I thought she was getting ready to seize. She would start shaking her body and I thought she was having a seizure only to come to realize that she was moving her body to the music on the tv.

I know how freaked out you are but I'll share with you what helps to ease my mind a little bit. 1. Since it is a febrile seizure, there is absolutely no brain damage and no damage what so ever to physical development when they have this kind of seizure. 2. They are unconsious during the seizure so they pretty much don't remember any of it. 3. If it's going to happen there really is no stopping it. Even though I dope her up on Motrin and Tylenol like crazy when she starts to get a fever, it doesn't really make a difference. I know now what I need to do: be calm and be there for her, call 911 and and the peds office. 4. They usually outgrow this type of seizing (IF it even happens ever again) by 4 or 5 years of age.

Sorry so long but I just went through this and I know how traumatizing it can be. I cried for days afterwards but it has made me a stronger and smarter mommy. Hang in there!

17. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

we all need encouragement when days get really hard.. I was just telling my friend who is expecting a baby that men dont worry as much as us.. I know we have a sixth sense to our children. I usually know when something is wrong with one of my kids.. my husband is more like its nothing.. and its usually turns out to be something..
    if you dont mind me asking what is encephalitis? how did he get it? I first thought of mosquitos but not sure..
    I am glad to hear they are doing wonderfully.. its good to hear good news like that..
    thanks.

I'm sorry I didn't see this until now :) Encephalitis is swelling of the brain. Ethan acquired a herpes virus after he was born and the infection spread to his central nervous system and infected his spinal fluid and brain. Generally, the survival rate for his type of infection is only 30% and of the few who survive, 89% have severe life-long disabilities. The 11% who do not have severe disabilities have different types of disabilities like hearing impairment, vision impairment or learning disorders. So far...he's not had any diagnosis of anything like this as a result of the infection and swelling (a few seizures, but not a true disorder, etc), so we consider ourselves blessed!