feedback on glucose tolerance test please!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Marbear, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Marbear

Marbear Well-Known Member

Ok, I took the Glucose tolerance today at my 28 week ob appt. My bp was great..like 98 over 62 or something. I drank the beverage and by the time the blood draw was done I had experienced some heart racing, a touch of dizziness, and nausea. I am wondering if the drink just made me feel this way or if I possibly failed the test. Any insight from those who have taken the test would be appreciated.

Oh yeah...I gained 13 lbs in 6 weeks and the nurse told me to watch it. I don't know what to do...I feel like I'm not eating excessively or anything. What can I do? Is this way too much weight?

2. Marbear

Ok, I took the Glucose tolerance today at my 28 week ob appt. My bp was great..like 98 over 62 or something. I drank the beverage and by the time the blood draw was done I had experienced some heart racing, a touch of dizziness, and nausea. I am wondering if the drink just made me feel this way or if I possibly failed the test. Any insight from those who have taken the test would be appreciated.

Oh yeah...I gained 13 lbs in 6 weeks and the nurse told me to watch it. I don't know what to do...I feel like I'm not eating excessively or anything. What can I do? Is this way too much weight?

3. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

I took my 1 hour glucose test about 3 weeks ago. I was told ahead of time the symptoms you experienced were a possibility. I didn't have any problems, but failed the test. I go back tomorrow for the 3 hour test. I have heard on this site that it isn't uncommon to fail the 1 hour and do fine on the 3 hour. I wouldn't worry about it too much... they'll let you know the results soon. Good luck!
    Oh... as for the weight gain... that's about 2 pounds a week... I don't know much about how much the average gain is, but I don't think that sounds like a ridiculous amount. It could level off and you might not gain more than a couple pounds at the next appointment.
    Again, good luck with your test!
    Helen

4. Mrs.B

Mrs.B Well-Known Member

I hope your results come back negative - I hated the test and yes, I felt the same way with the last drop of blood being sucked out of me [​IMG] I mentioned it to the technician and she said it's because I hadn't eaten anything and the nastiness of the drink. I immediatey ate a banana after the test and drank water and it helped. Thank god mine came back negative! No input on the weight but ask your OB - I don't think it sounds extreme. Good luck!!!!!!!!

5. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

You can have those symptoms with excessively high or low blood sugars. So it is hard to guess if it is an indications whether you passed or failed. But I am rooting for you and hoping that you passed!! [​IMG]
    DO NOT worry about how much weight you are gaining!! You cannot diet while you are pregnant. Ever read the "Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy"? In part of her book she talks about how much weight she gained with each of her 4 pregnancies. No matter how she ate or how much she worked out, she gained almost the exact same amount of weight each pregnancy. Genetics plays a big role in how much weight your going to gain and where it goes! You can't control genetics and you can't for a second worry about this!!!

6. Marbear

Thanks for the input...good to know it is not necessarily a failure. I ate some turkey and cheddar cheese and drank something when I got home to try to level out if my sugar was kind of high.

Michelle, I wonder if I would gain the same amount starving or feasting. It seems like my weight gain is the same no matter what. I carry all my weight in my arms, butt, and thighs and not so much in my torso (I still wear a 34DD bra even though I am a size 12/14), so I wonder if I have to gain more to compensate than someone who is naturally big up top with skinny legs. Who knows. I probably gained more at this point than with my singleton because of the swelling and I lost all that 57 lbs then some, so I am going to try to just let it slide.

7. ReallyTiredMom

ReallyTiredMom Well-Known Member

Michelle - I loved 'The Girlfirend's Guide..." - very real and funny! And yes, weight gain is not the taboo I think it used to be when my mom was pregnant with me. Marbear - I gained about 50 pounds with my first single pregnancy - 10-15 pounds of which showed up in the last few weeks due to water retention. I lost it all in about 5-6 months. This time around, I have put on 55 pounds so far (I'm almost 32 weeks) - and the bulk of it I put on between my 22nd and 28th weeks. I have heard with twins that you can put on a lot in the beginning and into the second trimester and that, due to major lack of room, your appetite and eating habits slow down in the end. So wouldn't it make sense that with a twin pregnancy, putting on the weight sooner makes up for the inability to put it on later on when mom's of singles are still gaining? I don't know - I certainly am beginning to lose my appetite and I haven't gained more than 2 pounds in the last 4 weeks. Go figure. As far as the glucose thing, I wouldn't think you have much to worry about, I have heard of that nausea and such coming on after drinking that stuff, too. Plus, had you been laying on your back for awhile? That does it to me. I don't think it has anything to do with you passing/failing the test. Of course, I'm not a doctor. Hope you did pass!

8. txtwinmom2b

txtwinmom2b Well-Known Member

I felt that way too when I took my GTT. I passed it!

9. AWerner

AWerner Well-Known Member

I felt the same with my test, though I don't know if it was solely from the test or sititng in the recliner for the NST they had me do right after drinking the stuff, either way don't worry too much about it. i didn't end up passing the 1 hr but was fine on the 3 hr, my OB said "you can eat whatever you want" so believe me I have been! [​IMG]

Also the book I am reading on multiple pregnancies suggests gaining about a 1 lb-1 1/2 1b a week so I wouldn't worry about that either, everyone is different.

hope your GTT results turn out normal!

10. Marbear

Your post made me have another question. They told me no non-stress tests if I passed my GTT since I am getting ultrasounds every two weeks at least. Does that sound normal?

11. AWerner

AWerner Well-Known Member

I am not sure about the NST and when they start or how often, I ended up having one this time only b/c there was a misunderstanding with the ultrasound tech about my due date and they thought my babies were too small for their age.

12. Marbear

I passed my GTT with a blood sugar of 109!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I felt woozy after the drink more this pg because last time I was a vending machine junkie and used to all the sugar!

YAY!