Feeding picky eaters

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Brown Eyed Gurl, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Brown Eyed Gurl

Brown Eyed Gurl Well-Known Member

I have b/g twins that will be 2 next month and they are the worlds pickiest eaters and I don't know what to do they only eat :eggs, bagels, pancakes, apple butter sandwiches, chicken nuggets.....that's the jist of it and I was wondering if anyone had and ideas of what to do to get them to eat? It's not that they don't like new things its they won't even try them....you can't get it in their mouths.....I feel like I'm not giving them the nutrition they need....well they will eat junk food but they don't want real foods

2. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I posted a link to a great article in the 2-4 Forum about picky eaters. You might enjoy reading it. Here is the link again- article

3. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I struggle with picky eaters too. I have one boy who will at least try different foods, and one that would be happy eating nothing but meat. He even says "more meat" at meals when he's plowed through his chicken/meatballs/burger/etc. <_< I figure all I can do is offer, and model good eating habits. Do you eat meals with them? Sometimes just watching you eat different things can encourage picky eaters to try new things. I try to give my guys good balanced meals, but always give them at least one thing that I know they'll like. That way they can fill up on that if they don't like the other offerings. I've read that it can take 15-20 times of offering a particular food before a child will even try it. I can tell you that I've offered broccoli at least 50 times to my boys and Nate put a piece in his mouth for the first time last week! Of course he spit it back out again, but it's progress, right? :lol:

BTW, I love the links that the PP posted in the 2-4 forum. Some great advice there!

4. Brown Eyed Gurl

Brown Eyed Gurl Well-Known Member

Yes we all eat together and I try to eat what they do but they still won't even try new things I feel like I'm failing them and not giving them the nutrients they need.....but I don't know what to do I just make sure and give them pediasure too....The Dr said they are ok Mekaila is 22 lbs and Jacob 26 but I still worry

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Just to add, I also add Carnation Instant breakfast to my kids milk for the extra nutrients and calories (and this might make you feel better, my DS is 2.5 and is 25 lbs)...I would keep offering the foods that you are making and one thing that you know they like. I read somewhere (might have been here) to look at their eating on a weekly basis and not daily. You are not a failure :hug: Toddlers are just picky by nature (says the Mom of the daughter who only wants to wear Yo Gabba Gabba underwear right now). And if my son has a choice of anything to eat, french fries is always going to be the winner.

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

have faith! toddlers are smart - and much, much better at listening to their bodies then we are. as long as you are offering a variety of healthy foods regularly, they are getting what they need, even if it doesn't seem like it to you. it sounds like they must be growing well since their doctor isn't worried (even if they're small - my girls are turning two on monday and are only 24 & 26 lbs respectively).

if you're really, really, really concerned, have you asked your doc about giving them a daily multi-vitamin? but honestly, it sounds to me like your kids are doing fine. i think the best decision i ever made for my own mental health was to give up the food battle - i serve them healthy meals & snacks regularly & they eat what they eat (sometimes a lot, sometimes nothing). beyond that, i'm not going to worry until there's something to worry about (ie a sudden change in their growth curve).

7. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

You will LoVe love love this book -- look for it at the library. "feeding with love and good sense" -- an old book but a feeding philosophy that others copy. I'm not saying you have to believe and follow everything in the book but it will change how you feed. It helps to get rid of some of that mommy guilt too which is great. I haven't had anyone who has read it that didn't take something from it !!

I have one really picky eater in the 3rd percentile. Another picky eater in the 25 % I think. It is a LONG journey and this book will help with that.

Heather

8. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I second the multi-vitamin. My daughter had some iron deficiencies and it can really affect them. Iron must not be given with any milk products and it MUST be given with Vitamin C.

Heatehr