Feeding questions: dropping bottles

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by w101ttd, May 16, 2011.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

So we successfully dropped 1 mid day bottles( between lunch and dinner) last week. We give them snack (yogurt melts, dried fruit, fruit, and milk in sippies). My girl drinks alot out of sippies though. I can tell dinner is a bit better.... I am thinking about dropping the first mid day bottles (between breastfast and lunch). So when should I do this? Should I just go ahead drop them this week or next week?

And how many oz of milk Should 13 monhs olds intake? I asked the nurse. She said 16-24 oz. Mine drink about 20-24 oz now (formula and whole milk).

Another question: milk in sippies. SHould I dump out the left over after 2-3 hours and give them new fresh milk ( whohle milk)? Im not comfortable if they drink the milk already sits outside too long. I am afraid they will get sick.

Thank you so much!

2. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I would go ahead and drop that bottle. A week is more than enough time, especially since they did well dropping the last one.

Our doctor told us to keep our boys right around 16 oz. of milk. Michael would drink lots more if we gave it to him, but we limit his milk to the 16 oz. I think 16-24 is fine depending on what your doctor said and the size your kids are. Our boys are 75th and 90th percentile, so we don't have any worries as far as size, etc.

As for keeping the milk, I generally keep it if I can put it back in the fridge within about 30 minutes. If it sits out longer than that, I usually throw it away. But my guys typically finish theirs, so I usually am just rinsing out the cup and what little bit may be left in the bottom that they can't quite get out of the sippy.

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

^^ what she said :) I would go ahead and drop another bottle, I did about 1 a week or so.

I also try to put their milk back in the fridge shortly after they finish it, and I keep it for the day, just refill the cup. If it's sat out too long I just dump it and get fresh cups.

16-24 is what I went by too, although mine rarely drink 16 oz of milk a day, it's usually about 8 if I'm lucky, but they love cheese and yogurt and such so I'm not concerned.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with PP's...I would drop the next bottle. I dropped a bottle a week when we did the transition and it worked out fine for my two.
    As for the daily milk intake, our pedi wanted us at 24 ounces at first to put weight on the kids but once she saw that the growth curve was okay, she said the guideline is 16-24 oz but like Danielle mentioned, if yours do not drink that much you can always supplement with cheese, yogurt and other dairy products.
    I also put the milk back in the fridge as soon as I possibly can. If it's been out too long, then I just do a refill on the cup.

5. w101ttd

Thanks ladies! I forgot to mention that my kids are only a bit above 10% of weight. That's the reason I am always nervous when I change their diet.

I'm not worried about my son. He eats lot of cheese and 2 yobaby/ day. My daughter eats lot of cheese too. But I can't feed her yogurt. But she eats yogurt melts all day long.

So would I go ahead and drop it? Thamks

6. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

I'm with the other ladies. I usually give milk when they are at the table so when they are done I put it back in the fridge. I don't trust them with milk in other rooms because no sippy is completely leakproof! Mine get an average of 16-18 oz a day.

7. w101ttd

Thank you so much! I feel more comfortable to drop the second bottle now :). Yesterday, I came home gave them snack at 5:30. They ate so good and drank good amount of milk out of sippies. At dinner, oh man I never saw my girl ate that much for a long time. She ate all her and some of her bro's spaghettie and mac and cheese, sausage, cheese, water melon. I am so pleased. And she ate so good at lunch too. So im going to drop the second bottle tomorrow. Thanks ladies! :)

8. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

My guys were below 10% for weight when they were 12 months, so I completely understand how nervous you are when changing their diet! I dropped bottles on their 1st birthday, and went cold turkey on sippies. It took a bit for them to get the hang of it (I had to tip Nate's back for him for a week or so), but they were fine with the change.

I let my guys drink as much milk as they wanted at meals (we only allow milk at the table), and I found that as they ramped up on eating "real" food, their milk consumption went way down. Sounds like your DD is doing really well eating, so that's great! :good: My boys did so much better on solid foods than BM/formula that they went from about 3% weight to 50% at their 2.5 year WBV!!

Like other PPs, we refrigerate unused milk and refill throughout the day, then wash them in the evening. :)

9. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

I aimed to drop one bottle per week starting at 12 months. It went a little slower than that due to vacations. The only one they even noticed (and cried about) was the first AM bottle. I didn't worry about how much milk they drank during the two month transition period, but now I just offer milk at mealtimes, for hopefully a total of no more than 16 oz a day. I put the milk back in the fridge after a meal if they didn't finish it. Otherwise, I don't offer milk when they are on the go because a lost sippie of milk can get really gross!