Feeling pretty sad

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cm301263, Sep 4, 2013.

1. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

My twin boys turned 3 this past June. They are both dealing with some mild sensory integration issues. Needless to say the past few years has been a LOT more in the way of tantrums/fussing/whining etc than the usual 2 or 3 year old.

I am a stay at home mom living in an area that I don't know anyone so do not get out much & don't get away from them much at all.

I guess to get to the point of this post......I feel like an awful mom because I feel like I am sick to death of these boys. Of course I love them to pieces but at the same time....it is time to move on from this chapter in our lives...& I am actually looking forward to them being in school. (They start Preschool tomorrow)I am exhausted mentally & I am just ready to have them in school & I feel bad for feeling that way.

I guess I feel like a bad mom because I want the day to myself!! I hope I am not alone in feeling that way. :(

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No way! I celebrated when I sent my two off to school. Again and again and again.

It's perfectly normal to want some time to yourself!! Do not beat yourself up over it, celebrate their new accomplishments and celebrate your newly found "me" time.

2 people like this.
  3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Nothing to be ashamed of! Now that they will be out of the house a bit, maybe it's time to think of what you can do to feed your soul and meet some people- like a book club, meetups, etc.

I was excited for my boys and happy that they'd be gone for 2 hours and 40 minutes. Walking to my car after dropping them off was one of my favorite times of the day.

Do you have a IEP set up for them? It may be a good idea to talk to the school about setting it up just so they could get some supports/in school therapies to ease some of the school triggers. :hug:

1 person likes this.
  4. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

om my gosh... you are SO not alone... me and a couple moms had a "Boo and Yahoo" PARTY the first day of school... i mean some moms were drinking (love me some suburban mom :wine: )it lasted the whole first day... i know for a fact i am a better mom when given a break... it took me a few years to learn that with my oldest... but it was learned and i went into the twins having a "date" with my DH every Sunday 3-7... when i didn't get that time... i was a little quicker to yell or pop on the tv... so i know i need me time to recharge... hope the 1st day is GREAT!

5. cm301263

Yep it is all set up...they are actually in the early childhood special education class to deal with all of those issues...so crossing fingers that they can help. The staff at the school seem to be wonderful!.

6. cm301263

Thanks for the words of encouragement & support it really means a great deal to me!

I shed a few tears this morning when I dropped them off for their first day of school both because they are growing up so fast & also because of that guilt that I had/have been feeling for wanting them to be gone for awhile. Being with 2 three year olds was just driving me crazy! :wacko: but reading these stories makes me feel better!

2 people like this.
  7. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Don't feel bad! I went back to work just to shake things up because things were going so sideways all the time with my 3 year olds. And you know what? They're thriving and we're all much happier for it. It's a win win! That's not to say I didn't shed a few tears over the transition, and that I didn't feel guilt about it, but everyone has their limits, and I think having two 3 year olds would push most people over the edge!

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't have anything better to add than what these lovely ladies have already said.
    Don't beat yourself up over it. When my two started pre-school, I was happy to have the break! Enjoy the time you will have to focus on stuff you'd like to do!

9. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Don't be sad. All three of mine have been on IEPs in their lives. The school staff has been so supportive! Hopefully with them being in preschool, things will change for the better! They will learn better coping strategies and the teachers will help you!

10. cm301263

You guys are really sweet. Thank you for the support. It sure helps!! :grouphug:

11. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

You are definitely not alone!!

I love my kids to pieces, but there are times that I just wish I could have a break for an hour, or go out to a movie with friends, or eat out, or whatever, without dealing with crazy 3-year-old behavior, getting a sitter, etc.

I am back at work full time now and my kids are in preschool and it is AWESOME. They love preschool, and I love having my own identity and my own thing that isn't always just about being mom (and I have a job I like). I love being a mom, but I also love being me, and I find I enjoy the time with my kids MUCH more now that I'm not with them all the time.

I hope you can find a way to enjoy a bit of a break with your kids being in preschool. Do something for yourself - go shopping, get your nails done, read some books, whatever you find relaxing, and don't feel bad about enjoying that time.