Fetal Fibronectin Test

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by azmami, Feb 14, 2008.

1. azmami

azmami Active Member

I know they say it "pretty" accurate but how many people had the test and it came back negative and then did have there twins before the 2 week mark????

Let me know your experience.....

Happy Valentines Day!!! :hug99:

Thanks Ariane
    30 weeks w/Twin Boys

2. srange

srange Well-Known Member

I have had the test done 2 times during this pregnancy...both were negative and here I am at 36+w pregnant. HTH

Stacy

3. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

I know you are looking for people who got negative and ended up delivering… BUT I had mine 2 weeks ago today and no babies… THANK GOD

4. azmami

azmami Active Member

That's great!!! I am hoping mine is accurate as well, these boys need more time in the oven :)

5. HinSD

HinSD Well-Known Member

If you get a negative, it is a STRONG negative. My Dr. said if it is negative, it is 99.5% accurate.

6. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

The positive results are the ones that can often times be false. I've heard that a positive result can be a bad indicator of delivering within the next 2 weeks. Whereas, getting a negative result is MUCH more accurrate.

I had a ffn at 30 weeks and it was negative...I delivered the twins at 34 weeks.

7. anippy

anippy Well-Known Member

Help me out, please. This is one of those tests I haven't heard about yet. What do they test? If it's positive, SUPPOSEDLY you have a good chance of delivering within 2 weeks?

Thanks!

8. azmami

azmami Active Member

Here's the info i got off the march of dimes website:

Fetal Fibronectin (fFN): A Test for Preterm Delivery

The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology recommends that screening for the presence of fetal fibronectin (fFN) may be useful for some pregnant women with symptoms of preterm labor (1). The presence of fFN in the cervico-vaginal secretions of symptomatic women during weeks 24 through 34 of gestation (5 1/2 to 8 1/2 months) indicates an increased risk of preterm delivery. However, the absence of fFN is a much more reliable predictor, indicating that the pregnancy is likely to continue for at least another two weeks.
    The Role of Fetal Fibronectin
    Fetal fibronectin (fFN) is a protein produced during pregnancy and functions as a biological glue, attaching the fetal sac to the uterine lining. During the first trimester and for about half of the second trimester (up to 22 weeks of gestation), fFN is normally present in the cervico-vaginal secretions of pregnant women. In most pregnancies, after 22 weeks, this protein is no longer detected until the end of the last trimester (one to three weeks before labor).

The presence of fFN during weeks 24-34 of a high-risk pregnancy, along with symptoms of labor, suggests that the "glue" may be disintegrating ahead of schedule and alerts doctors to a possibility of preterm delivery.

A number of factors are associated with a high risk of preterm delivery. Leading risk factors include a previous preterm birth, multiple pregnancy, an incompetent cervix (a cervix that dilates too early in the pregnancy), uterine abnormalities and amniotic fluid infection. Additional risk factors include vaginal infections and sexually transmitted diseases, maternal smoking and drug abuse, poor nutrition, extremes of maternal weight, and lack of prenatal care. Stress, genetic predisposition and environmental toxins may also contribute to preterm delivery.

The fFN Test
    A cotton swab is used to collect samples of cervico-vaginal secretions during a speculum examination (similar to a Pap smear). The analysis of the collected sample usually takes less than 24 hours to complete. The result is either positive (fFN is present) or negative (fFN is not present). The results are valid for up to two weeks from the date of the test.

9. anippy

anippy Well-Known Member

AHA! Thank you!

10. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

mine was positive, i was dialated to 2 cm also. but i didnt deliver until 38 wk 3 days. i was put on bedrest at 28 wks. i did have an episode of PTL at 31 wks.

11. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

at my 30 week appt I was 2cms dilated and 80% effaced, but my ffn was - thankgoodness. Negative is HUGELY accurate, whereas + is less accurate.

After being on bedrest from 30 weeks on, I was INDUCED at 37w5d!!!

12. cbrownie15

cbrownie15 Active Member

Hi-
    I was in the hospital for PTL and had the Ffn - came back positive at 27 weeks, they gave me the steroid shots and we were all prepared to deliver in the next couple of weeks. Another factor was my cervix was down to less than a 1cm (after my cerclage) Well....here I am at 33 weeks and it seems like I will now be pregnant forever! LOL
    Have heard a lot of stories similar to mine- stay positive.
    Carrie :)

13. RachelJoy

RachelJoy Well-Known Member

Don't want to scare anyone, just wanted to say that I was one of the 0.5%. Had the test at 26+ weeks, it was negative, and went into preterm labor 8 days later. Babies were born the next day at 27 weeks 4 days. I initially had the test because of a shrinking cervix, but at that time no signs of preterm labor.

I always knew I was special, but wish it was not in the false negative department for this particular test.

Hope no one else repeats my experience.

-Rachel

p.s. - my little ones just turned 3 and they have absolutely no problems from having been preemies.

14. Mrs. Johnny

Mrs. Johnny Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cb15 @ Feb 16 2008, 03:40 PM) [snapback]624961[/snapback]
    Hi-
    I was in the hospital for PTL and had the Ffn - came back positive at 27 weeks, they gave me the steroid shots and we were all prepared to deliver in the next couple of weeks. Another factor was my cervix was down to less than a 1cm (after my cerclage) Well....here I am at 33 weeks and it seems like I will now be pregnant forever! LOL
    Have heard a lot of stories similar to mine- stay positive.
    Carrie :)

Are you in the hospital??? Or did you get sent home after a few weeks? I'm in the hospital. My over all cervix is 3.8,
    but the funneling part is 1.0 and my Ffn test came back negative. 33 weeks that's great, I can't wait to get there!!!
    I'm curious if your on home bedrest?