Fighting/hair pulling

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by kimr, Nov 26, 2006.

1. kimr

kimr Well-Known Member

My girls lately have been pulling some wrestling moves on each other. Natalie is the take down, hand choke and hair pulling kind of gal and poor Brooke gets so upset when Nat does this. I've never seen Brooke pull Natalie's hair although she does hit and today even hit Natalie with the tv remote as Natalie was approaching to take said item that Brooke had just discovered!

Are you going thru this, how do you handle it? We've been telling them to be nice and then they'll usually say nice and not do it again. But this is getting to be a little more than the swatting that started out a couple of months ago. Sometimes when Natalie starts her wrestling moves they both giggle, but after several seconds Brooke doesn't think its funny anymore.

They aren't around other kids and don't watch tv except for a veggie tales dvd and some sesame street. Where do they pick this stuff up? Is it instinctive?

2. kimr

kimr Well-Known Member

My girls lately have been pulling some wrestling moves on each other. Natalie is the take down, hand choke and hair pulling kind of gal and poor Brooke gets so upset when Nat does this. I've never seen Brooke pull Natalie's hair although she does hit and today even hit Natalie with the tv remote as Natalie was approaching to take said item that Brooke had just discovered!

Are you going thru this, how do you handle it? We've been telling them to be nice and then they'll usually say nice and not do it again. But this is getting to be a little more than the swatting that started out a couple of months ago. Sometimes when Natalie starts her wrestling moves they both giggle, but after several seconds Brooke doesn't think its funny anymore.

They aren't around other kids and don't watch tv except for a veggie tales dvd and some sesame street. Where do they pick this stuff up? Is it instinctive?

3. candctwinfactory

candctwinfactory Well-Known Member

I have a hair puller too, DS. What has helped us is the fact we have a cat. We have taught them to "just pet" the cat, so when we see DS going for DD's hair, we tell him to "just pet" and that seems to do the trick.

4. lrothrock1

lrothrock1 Well-Known Member

Mine do this too! My Brooke will seek out Erin, who use to be the one in charge! Erin is now afraid of Brooke. Brooke likes to bite and when I catch her getting ready to, I tell her NO! However, she sneaks in an occasional biting, and I find out after Erin starts screaming, crying and shows me the bite marks. Brooke shows signs of bullying and dominanting her sister, not all the time though. One minute she will be nice and share with her sister, and the next minute she is running behind her and pulls her down by her neck. I don't know where they learn it either. My girls haven't been out in public much except to eat at restaurants.

5. ~*Twinmom22*~

~*Twinmom22*~ Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only one going through this...my girls seem to fight ALL the time. We try our hardest to make them stop, but they won't. It used to be Alissa that would always try to bully Victoria, but now Victoria seems like she's looking for revenge. Last week, my fiance happened to hear a muffled cry from the twins' room. And what did he find?... Victoria had climbed over the bar between their beds ( we have their beds pushed together, a tip I got from the Parent magazine a ehile back) and was literally standing on top of her sister! It just seems like it won't stop. They fight all the time. I keep telling him that our hopes for them to one day be famous because of how pretty they are, are going out the window b/c they keep getting scratch marks all over their faces from fighting so much. It doesn't matter what we do. I try clipping their nails, but that isn't showing them why they shouldn't fight. HELP? What should I do? I had been looking all over for a forum on this subject and finally found it.