Figuring out a new schedule

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by FGMH, Jun 22, 2015.

1. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I would love some help figuring out a new schedule for our toddler boy.

The twins are turning 6 and will start 1st grade in September. So far they went to pre-school until 3 pm (3 days a week) or until 12 noon (2 days a week). Our current schedule for the baby is:
    6.15 am wake-up
    7.15 am breakfast
    8.45 am 45 minute nap during the school drop-off walk
    12.30 pm lunch
    2/2.30 pm 45-60 minute nap
    6 pm supper
    6.30 pm start bedtime routine (baths/showers) for all kids
    7.30 pm ideally baby is asleep

1st grade will have the twins on different schedules (due to different classrooms) and school will end for them between 11.30 am and 1.30 pm as the kids have different schedules each day here. So if I want a consistent lunch time for the whole family together (we usually have our warm meal at lunch and a cold supper) 1.30 pm would be the best I can do. The twins' afternoon activities (sports, music, playdates, typically 3 days a week) mean we often have to leave the house no later than 3 pm. That leaves me with enough time for homework for the big kids but not with enough time for a proper nap for the toddler, especially as he is not an easy sleeper and takes a long time to settle (and needs me with him to settle) and as I anticipate that he will move to one nap in the next couple of months.

Please help me figure out a new nap schedule so I can start implementing it over the summer.

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's hard to say...but given the fact the your afternoons look to be busy, I would try to get the baby on 90 minute morning nap...9:30-11 or something like that.

My second suggestion would be 1:30 until whenever the kids have to leave for their activities but you did say you'd be having lunch together at that time, so that might not work either.  

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Honestly, you may have to give up on lunch all together for awhile and feed the toddler earlier so he can nap.  When our kids took one nap, it was usually around 1-1:30 that it started, but that took some time.  When we first went to one nap, it was more like 12-12:30 until they could make it to the later time.