Finally a short moment to breath!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by AKilburn, Aug 30, 2012.

1. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

Okay i know I'm severely delayed on this (pretty much 2 weeks) but I wanted to share it with y'all.

Adalynn and Jackson were born August 17, 2012. I got to the hospital a little early, of course I didn't sleep at all the night before, I just couldn't wait to see/meet my twins! They hooked me up to the monitors and did blood work and what not and there I waited. I was scheduled for a c-section at noon and 11 came around and the nurse told me they are delayed in the OR and they have an emergency c-section coming in after. The anticipation was killing Marshall and I. He kept pacing the room and right outside the door. My doc kept coming in and talking with us. He cracked me up when he showed up in a pink scrub top and blue scrub bottoms, lol! But then again I had painted my toes, my left foot was blue (Jackson was on the left) and my right foot was pink (Adalynn was on the right) ... So we completely color coordinated for it! Finally around 130 when i was brought into the OR, given the spinal ... holy moly I've never been so numb before!! They brought Marshall in, and i started getting really nervous, looking around at my doc, the resident, all the nurses (regular and NICU nurses) and honestly started to have a little bit of a panic attack, luckily Marshall was there to calm me down!

Adalynn was first at 2:14 pm(she's the big little sister)weighing 4.58 oz and was 16.6 in length. She came out squalling, opened her eyes immediately and looked at my doctor. She looks like a little china doll, so sweet and fragile. Her health seems to be great other than the fact that she has Calcaneovalgus. My pedi says it's typical to see in multiples and it's a positiodeformityaity from being squished in the uterus, but we still have to go to the orthopedist for them to check it out. Therepossibilitylity it might have to be cast, but I'm hoping and praying that doesn't happen! She is already very much of a Daddy's girl and has mastered the pout ... oh lord we're going to be in trouble with that!

Jackson is the little brother born at 2:16 pm weighing 5.11 oz and was 18.38 in length ... he's not that much bigger than her bdefinitelyinetly looks a lot bigger. He too came out squalling but sounded like a duck quacking, through the tears of joy I was laughing, it was so adorable! He kept peeking at Marshall when he was cutting the cord, just one eye open ... he's still doing that today.

When tthroughoutoughouly checked out the NICU nurse came over to me and told me that they were absolutely perfdidn'tnd did't need any NICU time, that made me cry even harder. I was so ready for them to have to be in the NICU, I thiMarshallmarshall and i felt a huge weight lift when she told us that.

I was so antsy to see them again, i got a few minutes with them after they sewed me up, and then they were taken to the nursery to be bathed and further checked out. I was sittpostpartumpostpardem room just counting down the minutes till I could hold them again. And hold them i did!!! These babies were almost neverbassinetsbasinettes, lol!!! I guess that's the one good thing about twins, you and your husband get equal amounts of time to hold the babies!

We ended up being in the hospital for 4 days rather than 3 b/c I was having a lot of pain from the c-section, but it has gotten a lot better

It was a little crazy when we got home bc they were both hungry, I haven't quite figured out the tandem breast feeding yet and Adalynn was still having issues latching, so I goformulatle of forumla ready for Adalynn for Marshall to feed her and I fed Jackson. We just sat there in awe and I think part of us scared out of minds. When we were in the hospital we had the nurses helping with anything and everything and now it was completely up to us! YIKES!!

Its now almost 2 weeks after they were born and I think we're getting adjusted to sleepless nights. It's funny they are so content and quiet during the day, then we put them to sleep at night and oh lord, they find their lungs then! We had a checkup witFridayPedi last friday, they'd gained back the weight they had lost in the hospital and she said they are just perfect, we have another checkup this Friday -- more a weight check than anything, but I can't wait to see their progress, especially with their weight b/c I can already tell they've put some weight on. (Yeah momma feeds them well --- Adalynn has finally started latching, although we're still supformulaing with forumla at times b/c they seem to get hungry quicker after BFing and I want to talk to the doc to make sure they're getting what they should from BFing, IE: getting hindmilk and not just foremilk).

As you all know Adalynn and Jackson are our first (and probably only) children. I never knew how much I could love two other people until these two were born, I now completely understand the quote of "Having a child is forever having your heart walk around outside your body!" Everything you think, feel, do, is changed, all you want is for them to be happy. I can honestly say even through the sleepless night, Motherhood is phenomenal!!

I have to laugh b/c their personalities when I was pregnant with them is still VERY true, she's a little spit fire and he's just laid back!!! It's going to be fun raising them!!

Here are soJuliectures my friend julie took of them when they were 8 days old:

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p521/AEKilburn/cd8df547.jpg
    Jackson Taylor Kilburn

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p521/AEKilburn/a4f93588.jpg
    Adalynn Elise Kilburn

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p521/AEKilburn/7f44c46d.jpg
    both of them together

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

They are absolutely adorable! Congrats! Feel free to stop by the BF & Pumping Forum, too, if you have any questions or concerns. :)

3. astewart0610

astewart0610 Well-Known Member

Yay congrats !!!! :D

4. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Congratulations again, they are SO CUTE :). Try to remember little moments in these first months, they go so fast and they are mostly a blur to me looking back now :). I am glad to hear they didn't need to be in the NICU.

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:Clap: Congrats! They are adorable!! :wub:

6. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! Your babies are beautiful. I was thinking about you guys during the storm the past few days, hope it was uneventful for you!

7. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I'm so happy for you! I've been thinking about you a lot over the past couple weeks. Thank you for posting an update with their birth story. Your babies are beautiful!

8. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

They are just perfect, congratulations!!

9. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

Thanks gals! I think they're pretty preciouus myself!

Kate ... Luckily my MIL lives right down the street from us and has a wired in generator, so we packed up the twins and all their stuff and headed over therw ... Honestly looks like we were moving in! Nothing happened really over here other than some rain and wind but better safe than sorry! Did y'all get anything?

10. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations!! They are soooo adorable! Take TONS of pics and write down everything that happens, because I promise you won't remember much from the first few weeks/months of their lives!! :wub:

11. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

They are too cute!! Congrats

12. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

Very pretty babies! Congratulations!

13. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear things are going well!!!

14. fruitofthewomb

fruitofthewomb Active Member

Blessings to you. They are adorable. I love the pictures... your friend did such a wonderful job. I didn't know that they are your first children, how wonderful and how much more meaningful having two. : )

15. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

Alex, they are so adorable! Thanks for sharing your birth story and photos - I'd been waiting for those :) I am so happy for you that you got home relatively quickly with no NICU time.

16. TaraDVM

TaraDVM Member

Congratulations! Glad to hear how well you and babies are doing!

17. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

They are gorgeous!! The crazy will pass soon! Good luck!