Finding out teachers

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by ljcrochet, Aug 27, 2013.

1. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

After reading threads both here and on facebook, it got me thinking about when you find out your kids teacher assignments.
    We usually find out towards the end of August. It is mailed to us and put on the Parent Portal- but on the portal first.
    When I was a kid, we always found out what class we were in the last day of school. But I'm sure this way the schools don't have parents bugging them about the assignments.

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

We get a postcard about a week before school starts.

From when I was a kid, I only remember high school and we found out the first day (usually). They posted home room assignments on the front doors of the school a week or two before it starts, so you can stop by and see but my parents never did so we had to look the first day.

3. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

We used to get a postcard in the mail with a little welcome note from the teacher. This year, we had a Meet the Teacher Night at the school the week before they started back and the names were posted up on the wall outside the cafeteria. With our oldest (junior high), he can go pick up his schedule the week before and his teachers/classes are listed there.

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We find out the last day of school. Its listed on the report cards that come home.

5. ljcrochet

It is driving me nuts not knowing who my girls have and if we know anyone in their classes.

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We will find out either Thursday at Open House or sometime over the weekend via mail. It's killing me too, even though I know nothing about any of the seven possibilities.

7. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Elementary school we get a postcard a couple weeks before school starts with the homeroom teacher's name and the homeroom number.

Middle school we go the thursday before they started to pick up their schedule. We found out the teacher's names then.

8. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Ours are available online a the first week of August--usually 3 weeks before school starts.

9. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We find out July 31.

10. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We got a new principal last year and she started putting it on the last report card that goes home with the kids the last day of school. I love this. Before she came to our school we would find out the beginning of August when we would get a letter mailed to our house. Rumor has it that this principal now puts it on the report card the last day of school to save money on stamps...I guess it does save some money instead of mailing out about 660 letters.

11. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

We just found out via a letter over the weekend; school starts next week

12. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

We find out via a letter the week before school begins. It's also out on the portal at that time. Our district has done it this way for at least 35 years. It drove me crazy as a kid and drives me nuts as a parent!

No class lists are posted either. Confidentiality. Hate that too!

13. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

Class lists are posted about 2 weeks before school starts. A few days later, teachers call their students' parents and invite them (remind them) to Meet and Greet which is the week before school starts. Meet and Greet is when we meet our kids' new teachers and lug in school supplies, update emergency forms, pay for lunch accounts, bus passes etc.

14. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We found out at the beginning of the month who their teacher is. I'm not sure if this is the case for all grades in their school. My best friend, the school her kids attend, they find out the first day who their teacher is and that even goes for kindergarten.

15. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

We find out tonight. The PTO puts on a "Meet the Teacher" night and that is where you learn who your teacher is. School starts next Tuesday.

16. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add that in kindergarten we were told which teacher when we enrolled and met her at orientation a few weeks before school started.

17. ljcrochet

I remember waiting to find out the year the girls went to kindergarten . Their school does the cutest thing for the K classes. Each class is assigned a color for the first day. The kids are supposed to wear that color, the teacher wears that color, i think they have balloons in front of the classroom in that color. This way when the kids get off the bus and head to the class rooms , it is very easy to see which kid is supposed to be. I remember wanting to get them a special first day of school outfit and not being able to till I knew their color.

18. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

We put it on the end of the year report card, so they know their upcoming teacher on the last day of school.

19. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

We don't find out until the first day of school. They all go into the gym and each teacher calls the names of students. I don't like this creates a lot of stress/anticipation for the girls not knowing