Finger Foods

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by MrsBirch, Mar 21, 2011.

1. MrsBirch

MrsBirch Well-Known Member

My LO's will be one at the end of the month, 10 months corrected. I've been trying to work on them eating more finger foods. I swear everytime I really start to get them eating finder foods they get a cold and we take a few steps back with eating. Also DH works afternoons so I have gotten out of the habit of cooking dinner because I didn't see a point in cooking just for me. But now that they are getting older I know we really need to work on this.

They love cheerios, puffs, I give them cheese when they aren't sick, they like toast, we had chicken and veg the other night and they both seemed to like it.

What did/do you feed your LO's? Like quick and easy to prepare meals? I'm really getting sick of making cereal so any tips on carb type replacements for that would be great too!

Thanks!

2. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

We always offer finger food the first 15-20 mins at feeding. Each time: fruit, veggies, meats/pancake.

Fruit: banana, orange, water melon, papaya, pears, mango, all fresh fruit. I hate canned fruit.
    veggies: i buy STEAMFRESH mixed veggies steam bags. My kids loves green beans, red bell pepper, peas. I usually throw 1 bag in microwave. Then give them some and we eat the rest for lunch/dinner.
    Meat: they love baby hotdogs, turkey sausage, scrambled eggs (mixed veggies peas and carrot, cottage cheese/milk, murshroom, onion), grilled chicken. I plan on giving them some steak tomorrow night lol. My girl eats pizza. But she only licks cheese and pizza sauce of the bread lol. My son only eats pizza sausage.
    breakfast: pancake, jelly peanut butter sanwich, oatmeal cereal.
    snack: cheese puffs, yogurt melts, banana cookies

Weekend I also slow cook rice, sweet potato, onion root, mixed veggies with chicken broth, add seasoning black pepper, salt. I store it in 4oz containers, refridge 2 containers, put the rest in freezer. I just mashed it then feed them. My son loves it.He screams if I dont feed them fast enough. And he allows me spoon feed him lol.

I swear they play more than they eat finger food. But they slowly eat more and better. So be patient.Just offer them some baby purred at the end. I offer finger and purees before bottles because they drink more than enough. So Im not worried about milk intakes. GL!

3. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

For our main meal we did a lot of potatoes and steamed fresh or frozen vegetables, like green beans, peas, carrots, zucchini, cucumber, pumpkin (baked), brokkoli. I cut the potatoes and veggies into small pieces, tossed them in a little butter and let the LOs feed themselves. They seemed to prefer these individual components to casseroles, anything with sauces, spaghetti - and it makes clean-up a lot easier. For protein I would offer cheese or steamed fish (we all love fish) and, once they were 1 year, scrambled eggs. My DH and I hardly eat meat and I very rarely prepared it specially for the children, I usually relied on baby food jars of organic pureed meat (we can buy just the meat jars here) and offered it with the home-cooked rest of the meal. I did not offer babay food purees any more once we started finger-foods; if they did not eat enough, I would just smash the potatoes and veggies with a fork and feed them that.

Instead of cooking baby cereal for breakfast you could try offering bread with butter or a fine-ground muesli (just make sure it is nut-free for the babies) mixed with milk and/or yoghurt. We also always have fruit, such as mango, grapes (cut up), apple slices, blueberries, raspberries, banana, all of which is good finger-food.

By 1 year, they were mostly feeding themselves (finger-foods and spoon-foods) for the whole meal, except if they were very tired. But every child is different in that respect.

4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

By nine months, my two were eating what we ate. I didn't make them special meals (except I might make two sauces for something if one is a bit spicy.)

I just cut it into bite size pieces and put it on their tray.

1 person likes this.
  5. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

We are just starting more finger foods too. The one thing I found they LOVE is taking a bag of mixed veggies and some frozen cubes of potaotes and cooking it in chicken broth. Wyatt goes to town! Double fistin it! Willa Grace still wants you to gently put one piece at a time in her mouth with a fork LOL. So dainty.

6. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

My LOS just discovered mandarin oranges - the Del Monte in the chilled produce section. They LOVE them.

7. zanetaya

zanetaya Well-Known Member

My kids loved carrots from a can...or cooked carrots. They are nice and soft, but they have to pick it up to eat it. My daughter loved a big ole piece of bread. Any fruits are great! Veggies cooked in checken broth are great too!!

8. bellawillawyatt

bellawillawyatt Well-Known Member

I pealed a cuties orange for them tonight and Wyatt is IN LOVE! Willa Grace thinks they are fun LOL. Also they had some Rice a Roni last night along with their fish and mixed veggies and loved it too.

9. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

We eat whole wheat eggo waffles or a piece of toast with jelly. I usually buy bags of frozen veggies at the store (usually organic) and throw a couple on a plate and microwave for about 40 seconds. We eat tyson chicken nuggets (the ones with no preservatives), grilled cheese on whole wheat, and quesadillas (with cheese, mashed black beans, we are going to make spinach quesadillas this week too), today we tried a new recipe for a spinach souffle- it was super easy (only had egg yolk, spinach, and cottage cheese in it). My friend suggested that we try pastina mixed with chicken broth/stock with some pureed veggies mixed in to thicken it.. that was a hit for us. We also eat a lot of fruit.

Have you looked on wholesomebabyfood.com or wholesometoddlerfood.com-? There are a lot of ideas/recipes on there-even for people like me who are not terribly adventurous! Also look on the second year forum.. there are a lot of posts about this topic!

10. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

By nine months, all three of my kids ate everything we ate. Boy did life get soooo much easier! I still had baby food in my diaper bag in case of emergencies(out to eat and no food, etc). I just took everything and cut it up really small.

Give it a go! They will probably surprise you!

11. MrsBirch

MrsBirch Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info everyone, I've been strating every meal with some sort of finger food so we'll see how that goes!!

I've been lurking in the second yr forum lately....we'll be there next week - AHHHH!!!