Fingerpainting strategies for 17-month-olds

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by kt7776, Dec 5, 2006.

1. kt7776

kt7776 Well-Known Member

So I bought some washable finger paint for the boys, but I am lost as to the best (least destructive and messy) way to let them use it at this age. What does everyone else do? Big sheets of paper? Tarps? This will unfortunately have to be an indoor activity as it's winter here. I keep envisioning them covered in paint and making a run for the family room carpet and furniture. [​IMG]

Any other art activity ideas would be appreciated as well (or basically anything to keep them busy)!

Thanks!

2. kt7776

kt7776 Well-Known Member

So I bought some washable finger paint for the boys, but I am lost as to the best (least destructive and messy) way to let them use it at this age. What does everyone else do? Big sheets of paper? Tarps? This will unfortunately have to be an indoor activity as it's winter here. I keep envisioning them covered in paint and making a run for the family room carpet and furniture. [​IMG]

Any other art activity ideas would be appreciated as well (or basically anything to keep them busy)!

Thanks!

3. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I strap mine in the highchairs with their wipeable bibs on. Make sure to wash the "washable" paint out of their clothes as soon as you're finished painting. It's not as washable as it seems! I suggest putting just a dab of each color on a paper plate and let them dip their fingers in that to paint. If you give them the tubs of paint they will make a big mess! I buy fingerpaint paper at Target. It's oversized and kind of glossy on one side. HTH [​IMG]

4. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

wow, daring! I don't have much advice, mine still put everything in their mouths, so I can't do it yet. I have thought about fingerpainting with pudding though, that might be a good idea too, as I am sure it washes out of clothes well.

5. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

i've also heard that pudding works well.

try this website for some great ideas for this age group.

6. Tam1969

Tam1969 Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest pudding, too. I would strip them from head to toe first and have the bathtub ready for later.

7. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

Are you sure u want to do it, its soooo messy!! haha just joking.

I used to have one of the waterproof tableclothes on my table, then strapped in boosters up to table, with big sheet of paper, then smaller ones to paint with.

I tried the easle once, but not a sucess, as couldn't be contained!

And like the lady above said, the paints are not that washable, so wash pretty soon after, if gets on clothes.

Have fun, and post the photo's of it

amanda (mom of jorja and jessica 3)

8. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

We haven't been brave enough to try paint. I do let them color on big pieces of paper with washable crayons. They usually end up coloring the floor but it washes out since it's on hardwood. Let us know how it works out and take lots of pics!

9. girlsxtwo

girlsxtwo Well-Known Member

We use Color Wonder fingerpaints! They don't stain and they only paint on the Color Wonder paper. No mess at all! The girls love the markers too.

10. cody_conner_mommy

cody_conner_mommy Well-Known Member

yep I let mine paint with pudding all the time they love it I don't care if they lick their fingers when they are doing it I just put down a table cloth then put paper in front of them and let them go for it while strapped in their boster chairs. I have also got butcher paper to cover the table with too.

11. Stellaluna

Stellaluna Well-Known Member

I have found keeping them in the high chair for activities like this minimizes the area they can make messy.
    So for fingerpaints, I tape a sheet of paper on their tray, and place a dollop of paint on the paper....when they have messed that around, I'll ask them where they want more paint, and they will point to the paper (which I find so cute!!) and I will put paint there. It has worked for us, and I do keep their bibs on and pull up their sleeves beforehand!!

12. JeninSF

JeninSF Well-Known Member

quote:
    We use Color Wonder fingerpaints! They don't stain and they only paint on the Color Wonder paper. No mess at all! The girls love the markers too.

YES!!! This stuff is the best!

13. Jocelyn5173

Jocelyn5173 Well-Known Member

I strap them into their booster seats, stripped down to just a diaper and cover the table with the clear painter's tarps and let them go!

14. abbymarie

abbymarie Well-Known Member

First, strap then down somehow....high chairs, whatever, so you have a controled envirnment. [​IMG]

I have heard of using pudding OR APPLESAUCE if you don't want the sugar content or have lactos problems. You can also COLOR the applesauce to whatever color you want with simple food coloring.

I also read recently about freezing colored water and giving them regular paper with the ice cubes to "water color" paint. You would want to be sure that you don't present a choking hazard of course. I have ice trays that make long narrow ice for putting into water bottles...much the size of fat crayons. I bought them at the Dollar General store.

Look at your local library for books with more ideas for activities with toddlers.

15. kt7776

kt7776 Well-Known Member

I just wanted to post an update that I DID attempt this after much agonizing. Let me say that those who recommended strapping them in their highchairs are smart, smart women! I stripped them, taped some paper on their highchair trays, gave them dabs of paint and let them at it. It was still a LOT of cleanup, but they enjoyed it. I think I will do the pudding/applesauce thing the next time.

Thanks for all of the help!

16. Whoa Mama

Whoa Mama Well-Known Member

I do pudding on their high chair trays.

This advice is for use in the summer, call your local newspaper and ask if you can buy an "end roll" - it's unprinted newspaper - the end of the roll of paper that they print the news on and you can usually buy them cheap. The roll is about 4' long and the paper on the roll is probably several hundred feet or so.

Roll that out onto the driveway and let them go at it with footprints/handprints, etc. Having a baby pool nearby helps with cleanup [​IMG]