fingertip dialated

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mrsmoon, Jul 3, 2007.

1. mrsmoon

mrsmoon Well-Known Member

Well today I had a scare. Around noon, I went to pee and had blood all over my t.p. Well that really freaked me out. I called the docs and they said to come in. So me and DH were freaking out and we went in. By then I was not bleeding anymore.

BTW I have been having cramping for a couple of days now and the feeling of slight contractions. I kept telling DH that I was feeling sharp pains down there the past couple of days.

The doc checked my urine and blood pressure and weight. She also listened to both heartbeats which were both between 130-140. Then she checked my cervix. She said I am already a fingertip dialated. She did not seem too concerned. I never dialated any with my other two pregnancies until I went into labor. I am kinda scared about this but she said it was fine. She said "Oh you will make it to 35-36 weeks and will be fine. Anything can make you spot blood right now." She said if I did go into labor at this point that thye would give me steroids to help thier lungs and that the babies would make it. My DH is now freaking out and is telling me to sit down all the time and take it easy. I am not the type that likes to sit down and take it easy. I like to be busy doing stuff.

My biggest question is is that did the rest of you ladies dialate this early with twins and there not be anything to worry about? I am very worried now that I may go early into labor.

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

I just read another post about a doctor being what I call, very relaxed, too relaxed I think! There is something to be said for a mother's instinct and with all of those signs, bleeding, cramping, contractions, and slight dialation, I would be taking it very easy. I started thinning at 28 weeks, but no dialation until 32 weeks or so. The peri told me modified bedrest, but I put myself on strict and stayed there until the end. I still believe that laying there for 9 weeks is what let me bring home two healthy babies. Do you see a peri? Now that they know you are dialated will they be monitoring you more closely? :hug99:

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Becky, take it easy. My story is not the greatest, but does have a very happy ending. At 24w I went for a routine appt. with my peri, are you seeing one? I was feeling great and I was 2cm dilated. Apparently I was having contractions and didn't feel anything. My oldest DD was a week late, so I was told that would help me with my twin pregnancy. I had an emergency cerclage and given the steroid shots. 10 days later at 25w3d Emilie pops out at home. :icon_eek: Trevor came 10 days later via c-section.

My happy ending is yes, it was very hard in the NICU, but despite being born so early they both did extremely well for their gestation, sometimes better than some of the bigger babies. Emilie was on a vent for 4 days and Trevor never went on one. They are both perfect and healthy at just about 17 months and have no lingering effects of being preemies.

But, I would take it very easy. That is how mine started out and I was put on bedrest when I went home after the cerclage. You definitely want to take it easy, whether you like it or not. I had a happy ending, but it was a very very difficult time.

Please take it easy and trust your instinct.

4. ErickaK

ErickaK Well-Known Member

I had preterm labor with both of my pregnancies. My daughter was born at 24w 1d due to unknown dilation, she was born in 10 mins after seeing the doctor who was send me to the hospital for bloodwork, all the while I timed my contractions and I was 2 mins apart in the office. I knew something wasn't right and by that point, nothing could be done to stop my labor, she didn't even know I was in labor, as my cervix on u/s looked good and so did the baby.

With my son I started to dilate at 18 weeks a fingertip, by 22 weeks I had to get a cerclage put in and go on bedrest until I delivered at 35w6d. I was seeing a peri for this pregnancy along with an OB. I got hospitalized at 30 weeks with 100% effacement and 1cm dilated, got steroid shots and put on strict bedrest until the cerclage was taken out at 35w 6d and I went from 1cm to 3-4cm in 30 seconds.

With my twins I got a cerclage at 13 weeks and my cervix was 3.94cm at the peri's office and 3 weeks later I was 5.4cm without bedrest, just not doing as much as I am use to doing. The doctor and both DH and I are very pleased. I will get the cerclage taken out around 36-37 weeks.

Definitely take it easy and try not to lift anything (know that is hard with kids) and don't be so busy. I personally would talk to the doctor about a cerclage. With my peri putting mine in at 22 weeks, he said you can really only get them until about 24-25 weeks. So if you can't get it, make sure to just go on bedrest to keep those babies in longer. NICU is not a fun place to go to visit your baby. My son was in for 9 days and came home on his 10th day. He had feeding issues of learning to suck on a bottle.

Take care of yourself. Definitely get the steroid shots (my peri said they do the most good around 30 weeks, earlier is fine too, but need more often he said) I will be getting them with my twins should we see changes at around 30 weeks.

5. 2betterthan1

2betterthan1 Well-Known Member

I would listen to the voices of experience, take it easy. And although babies born now have a good chance of survival, there chances will be extremely higher if you make it farther!!

I also don't like to rest or take it easy, but its worth it to have healthy babies. Although preemies get excellent care in the NICU, DF and I are trying as hard as we can to make sure they don't have to receive it!!

Good Luck
    Shannon

6. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had preterm labor with both of my pregnancies. My daughter was born at 24w 1d due to unknown dilation, she was born in 10 mins after seeing the doctor who was send me to the hospital for bloodwork, all the while I timed my contractions and I was 2 mins apart in the office. I knew something wasn't right and by that point, nothing could be done to stop my labor, she didn't even know I was in labor, as my cervix on u/s looked good and so did the baby.

Oh Erika that is so scary that the dr. didn't even know. I am so sorry!! :cray:

7. mandieolivia

mandieolivia Well-Known Member

trust your instincts, mama. doctor's aren't always right, and i have even heard medical staff say that there's nothing like a mother's intuition!

8. Susiepie

Susiepie Well-Known Member

My doctor started checking my cervix earlier than normal because I was having so many contractions. I got put on meds and bedrest to help control the contractions. My cervix was closed at 27 weeks and is now just a fingertip dilated. My doctors are not concerned either. I think a very slow dilation is ok and as long as it doesn't open up any faster I should be able to make it until 34 weeks...:)

Now that you are dilating I would imagine your doctor would keep a closer eye on it and check it at each visit. He will let you know if you need to cut back your activities, but for the meantime it sounds like he didn't give you any restrictions. Enjoy being active while you can!!! I'm soo envious of anyone who's not on bedrest!

9. violetcaille

violetcaille Active Member

Hi Susie! I am in Watertown just north of you! I am on modified bedrest. Though I can go on short outings with the aid of a wheelchair. I am expecting twin girls soon. I love the names you picked for yours!
    Just wanted to say hi to another cheesehead!

:)Rachel

QUOTE(Susiepie @ Jul 4 2007, 04:30 PM) [snapback]317302[/snapback]
    My doctor started checking my cervix earlier than normal because I was having so many contractions. I got put on meds and bedrest to help control the contractions. My cervix was closed at 27 weeks and is now just a fingertip dilated. My doctors are not concerned either. I think a very slow dilation is ok and as long as it doesn't open up any faster I should be able to make it until 34 weeks...:)

Now that you are dilating I would imagine your doctor would keep a closer eye on it and check it at each visit. He will let you know if you need to cut back your activities, but for the meantime it sounds like he didn't give you any restrictions. Enjoy being active while you can!!! I'm soo envious of anyone who's not on bedrest!

10. pdxpeach

pdxpeach Well-Known Member

You doc does seem a bit relaxed about this. I was put on limited activity due to a shortening cervix around 19 weeks but with no dialation. I am now on strict bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy.
    Personally if I were you, listen to your husband and rest as much as possible, it's not fun being limited or on bedrest. But from what I've heard hospital bedrest SUCKS. and I know from my son who was born premmie at 34 weeks, having to leave your child for anytime in the NICU is awful.

Listen to your instict... get a second opinion if you feel the doc isn't looking at your best interst.

11. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

If it weren't for the blood and the pain you've felt I wouldn't be as worried...but I do think your symptoms, considered all together, are concerning. I would try to take it easy too....at least until you got a week or two or three under your belt to really make sure that nothing is progressing..sometimes fingertip dilations can close back up. When I was pg with the twins i was 2cm dilated for the last three weeks...and I had a c/s at 37wks 5 days...my previous pg I was closed up tight until labor started...so there's an example showing how prior births don't necessarily show a pattern for a current pg. All the same, the bleeding alone is a good reason to take it easy.... I would nix being intimate for awhile too...sorry tmi, but that can get labor going too...

12. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I'd get a second opinion. Your cervix shouldn't be dilating that early, and your doctor seems too relaxed about the situation.