Fireplaces

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ldrane, Oct 9, 2009.

1. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

We did not use our fireplace last year. We thought it would just be too much of a hazard with the twins. DH & I were talking about it over lunch, whether or not we would start a fire this year?? I still don't know about.....

We don't have a glass door or cover. It is just one of those mesh screens. For those who have fireplaces, did you stop using them when your kids were younger? What age did you deem it safe for use?

2. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

Laura,
    We have always used our fireplace. It is our main heat source. We do have electric heat that kicks on for the back of the house. All we have is one of those mesh screens. We just always told the girls that it was hot and not to mess with it. They don't even pay any attention to it anymore.

3. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

We didn't last winter, no. Since Kevan has pulled the heavy fireplace screen down on his head a few times, that's enough of a hazard as it is, LOL.

But, I think this winter they *might* listen enough to stay away from the fire, although they'd have to be supervised every second, of course.

We have two gas fireplaces, but we rarely use them -- it's more just a novelty.

What irks me more is that we can't hang stockings from the fireplace, either -- because the kids pull those down on their heads, too, and the stocking holders are heavy!

4. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

Up until this year, we had one of those fireplace gates & it was awesome. It had brackets to mount to the wall on either side & a locking mechanism on the gate. They are pretty spendy new, so I just put a wanted ad on craigslist and found one that way. I accidentally broke on of the hinges when putting it away this spring, so we dont have it anymore. But we're still planning on using the stove this year; I think they're old enough now & understand to stay away from it. Plus, even when it's not lit we practice staying away.

5. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

We didn't use our fireplace the first winter because our pedi told us that wood smoke could be bad for baby lungs. We did use our fireplace a few times the second winter and didn't have any problems. We have glass fireplace doors that we closed when we weren't standing directly in front of the fire so the girls couldn't lunge into the flames, but they didn't even try. We explained that fire is hot and walked them up close to the fireplace, and that was enough. They pretty much stayed away even though they thought the fire was quite interesting. I don't have the most adventurous or push-the-limit kind of kids, so keep that in mind.

6. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I've never used mine. Fireplace fires (with wood, not gas fireplaces) make me feel like I can't breathe. Even just smelling other people's fireplace fires outside bugs me.

7. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Thanks you guys! We like using our FP. So, I think we might give it a try this year. I think they will listen when we tell them it is HOT.

8. allboys

allboys Well-Known Member

I just used mine today while home alone with the twins. We do have a glass cover and then mesh over that, but still I explained that it was HOT and they felt the heat and listened to my directions. They were quite entertained by the fear, even from a short distance. I plan to use it regularly in the winter.

9. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our first Christmas with the twins we used it-that morning we sat by the fire and opened their gifts(they were 2 months old)! Last year, dh did use the FP, once or twice. We told the boys it was HOT-and they understood. They were really interested in how dh put it together, etc. Since then-they've REALLY learned the word hot! In Good Night Moon, it shows a picture of the fireplace. My boys will look at it and go, "HOT! HOT!"

10. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

We haven't used it much, but when we do I used to block it. That won't be necessary anymore - they understand now - At 2, I might make it so that they can't fall or wobble near it, kwim?