First injury :(

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ladybenz, Dec 2, 2008.

1. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

Okay, today it's my turn to get the bad mommy award. I pulled Roman off the ottoman no fewer than three times this morning. I use the ottoman as a blockade to keep him from getting to the bookshelf. Well, I left the room for a moment and he climbed over the ottoman, climbed the bookshelf, and pulled my ipod down on his face. It was attached to the the dock, so he pulled the dock down too. He has a cut on his face and possibly a black eye. :(

Bad, bad mommy. I guess from now on when I leave the room, I need to put him in the pack and play so he doesn't climb anything else!!! I wonder how much longer I can trust the PnP to hold him?

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

:hug: You aren't a bad mommy... he just raised the stakes a bit. When my girls started doing this I felt like I couldn't leave them for a minute ever! I had a pnp outside the bathroom door, one in the living room, and I also used the exersaucers. My girls still aren't climbing out of the pnps at nearly 21 months (but they did try to climb IN yesterday while saying "Time out!").

3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Ouch poor baby :(

Can you get a play yard to block off the areas you don't want them to go to?

4. 3greysandamutt

3greysandamutt Well-Known Member

I don't think you are a bad mommy at all! :hug: These little buggers move quick, and they are constantly changing the rules of the game. My Ben has only been crawling for about 3 weeks, yet he climbed up on the couch today while I was out of the room for a millisecond. I did not expect that!

Do you have a 6-panelled play yard? I am going to get mine out of storage today (I am also going to be heading to babies-r-us for a new baby gate...).
    I don't know if it would be better or worse than the pnp...

Poor Roman... but why do I have a feeling that your little monkey is going to be a magnet for injuries?? I don't think there's anything you can do to keep that boy safe... bubblewrap, maybe?

5. nymom4

nymom4 Well-Known Member

:hug: You're not a bad mom! Kids are quick & if they want something they don't give up until they get it! I hope your day is going better & that Roman is okay. I think the bubblewrap idea is great...we should all invest in some for these kiddies!

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:hug:
    You are not a bad Mom!!! Accidents happen, that's part of being a kid. My DS has a black eye thanks to his sister playing with one of our tin baskets and accidently hitting him with it.
    Oy vey!!!! These kids keep shaving years off of my life!

7. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

*hugs* Oh you are not a bad mommy!!!!!! I really wish it was easy to find full size play pens...a pack and play won't hold twins for long but use it while you can.

Dianna

8. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Shoot Aimee I totally beat you on the worse mommy award! Ryder fell down our basement stairs 10 days ago! These were wooden unfinished stairs (14 of them) to a cement floor! He fell from the top to the bottom! We spent 3.5 hours in the ER and he broke his nose!!! (I was too ashamed to post that news to everyone here, but thought I would let you know that there is a worse mommy out there!) Feel better? Probably not, but, you are not a bad mommy at all-these recently new movers and shakers will suprise us over and over again! Please dont feel bad!
    I hope your little guy is feeling better! He can come hang out with Ryder and they will be quite the site with their black eyes!
    (big hugs to you!) you are doing a great job-hang in there!

9. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

Thanks mamas. I do feel a little better now--although, I totally feel like a dumb*ss, because After naps, I brought him downstairs then ran up to get his brother (gone less than a minute) and when I came back, you guessed it, he had dragged another ottoman halfway across the room and had climbed on top of it. These boys are going to give me a heart attack.

I ordered a superyard from amazon (thank you $3.99 next-day shipping~!) and I think I will run it wall to wall in that room, blocking off the bookshelves. (I wish I could just move the bookshelves, but they are builtins!!!)

I suppose it's a miracle neither one of them has hurt himself before.

Lesley, our pair would be a sight, wouldn't they? Maybe when they are older, we can have them start a rugby team together! :lol:

10. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Take a peek HERE to see my dd at about 15 months old! It happens! They heal fast!! :) The picture was taken just about 5 minute after the 'incident' happened.
    :hug:

11. angelf

angelf Well-Known Member

Not too bad for a first injury, Mom. Don't be so hard on yourself!

12. natasha163

natasha163 Well-Known Member

don't be so hard on your self...they are little accidents on little feet...at least the bookshelves are built ins and he didn't get that on his head too.

i have a large play yard for the girls, and it is a god send, especially since bella is getting some speed up!

you'll love yours!!

ps...do you still have your flikr acc? haven't seen your pfotos for a while...

13. Kessedi

Kessedi Well-Known Member

To be honest, I don't see any reason to buy anything serious for the usual injury. I am a quite unlucky person and I suffer from arthritis, so sunbeam heating pad is a sad necessity for me, Sometimes my bones are hurting so bad that I can't do anything but cry.