First NST tomorrow at 35 weeks - - any tips/advice?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by wvtwinmama, May 14, 2012.

1. wvtwinmama

wvtwinmama Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm 35 weeks tomorrow (yippee!) and will have my first non stress test. The nurse told me to make sure I ate and drank something sweet 30 minutes or so before the appt, as that would help "wake the babies up" and help it not take as long. I'm a little confused as to what these are. I was told there would be a contraction monitor on me (I contract frequently and have been on bed rest for a while), and then heart rate monitors for both of the babies. What are they looking for? Why would it take a long time? Is there anything else I can do to help things along?

Thanks!!!

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

NST's aren't that bad. They have a monitor on the babies to feel their kick strength. I usually had to have an u/s at the end because my baby A's kicks were not strong enough and as long as they could see that she was moving fine during the u/s then it was okay. I used to drink a Dunkin Donuts white hot chocolate before hand in hopes that would get my baby A moving but that wasn't enough, I guess :laughing:
    Good luck!

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, have some caffeine before, bring a book to read, they don't really take that long and it's kind of peaceful.

4. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

They are measuring whether the babies' heart rates accelerate when they move. My nurse told me they look for two accelerations of 15 beats higher than baseline heart rate in a 20 minute period.

5. christinam

christinam Well-Known Member

I thought NSTs were easy and relaxing. I would just play on my phone or read something. Mine took like 30mins tops. They only have to buzz one of my girls a couple times but she was twin A and head down with Twin B laying on top of her. lol I went twice a week but I can't remember when I started.

6. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I never enjoyed them because I hated lying down (there were only a few positions I was comfy in by that point, and that wasn't one of them), but other than that it wasn't as bad as I feared. I think I only had 2 of them?? Maybe one at 35 weeks and one at 36? (It all fades so fast!)

7. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I drink either Mountain Dew or coffee beforehand. If you can schedule the appointment for a little bit (like 30 - 45 minutes tops) after breakfast or lunch, that helps too. If the babies are generally active at a particular time of day, that would help too. I've had an NST for each of my last 4 or 5 visits and it only takes a while if one of the babies falls asleep (in which case I poke her around a bit) or if the nurses forget about me. :wacko: As someone said above, they are looking for heart rate acceleration following the babies' movements. It's basically to see if their systems react appropriately when stimulated. Here's a link to an article elsewhere on twinstuff regarding NSTs:

http://www.twinstuff.com/component/content/article/21-twin-pregnancy/73-non-stress-test?directory=27

The contraction belt helps them determine what kind of affect any contractions (real or B-H) have on the babies.

Also, ask ahead of time if you can get into a position that is comfortable for you. Halfway through the last one, I thought I was going to die because I was in an uncomfortable position. When they came to check on me, they let my husband adjust the bed and it made all the difference in the world.

1 person likes this.
  8. wvtwinmama

Thanks for all of the terrific tips, ladies!! I really appreciate it.

9. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Mine never would cooperate so they just did bpp on the girls twice a week(high risk). Depending on twin positioning sometimes you don't get a good read.

10. wvtwinmama

Everything went smoothly with the NST today! He'll have me back on Friday for a cervical check, and then again on Tues for another NST. Thanks for all of your tips/information!!! :thanks: