First time at the movie theater - how old?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by monica77, Aug 7, 2013.

1. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I need some advise, so here I am.

Our kids will be 3 next month and we didn't take them to the movies yet. I see Planes is coming out and I think that would be a nice movie for their first time at the movies - being that they love Cars. They can make it through a Disney movie at home. I wouldn't do the 3D version for now, and maybe I would wait a few weeks so it's not as crowded, but I was wondering - is 3 too early to take them to a movie theater?

How old were your kids the first time they went to a movie theater and how was the experience?

Thank you,

Monica

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We took them to see Monsters University this summer. They were 3.5 and did well/ each ate a crapton of popcorn and candy and left once to go to the restroom. I think the runtime makes a difference - pick a movie that is ideally less than 2 hours. We also looked around for the first show of the day/reduced price days as to not pay a ton of money for an experience they maybe wouldn't enjoy.

3. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I also took my kids to see Monsters University. They were 4, 4, and a month shy of 3. They took some convincing to get them to even go into the dark theater, even though I fully prepped them on what to expect. We got there early because I didn't want to make a scene with three kiddos if we got there late (expecting some trouble with the darkness). It seemed like a lifetime for the movie to actually start (approx 40 minutes). They took no interest in movie previews. All the popcorn was gone before the movie even started. All the kids did pretty well, but each one of them asked at one point to go home. They were very shifty in the seats. My nearly 3 year old sat on my lap the whole time. We made one trip to the restroom.

If I had to do over, I would go as early as possible in the day and show up a little late so to miss the majority of the previews.

Good luck!

4. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

Paul took the girls to Monsters U (see a theme??) at 3.5 this summer. They had a blast!

5. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We went to Toy Story 3 a couple months before they turned 3. It was fine. They wanted to stand the last 20 minutes but otherwise were good. If they can sit through a Disney movie at home, I'd try it. Go when it's not as crowded and to the earliest showing. But you should be fine.

6. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

2.5 to 3 years old should do fine!! I suggest stopping and getting some candy at the store beforehand and bring some small plastic cups so you can scoop in some popcorn and everyone can have their own-last thing you want is them freaking out about who gets to hold the dang popcorn, lol! (lesson well learned!) :popcorn:

Have fun!!

7. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

It was this summer at 4.5. We took advantage of the $1 summer movies to try it out and see how they'd do. It went pretty well! I'm not sure how well mine would have done at 3 though.

8. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

Ours were 7. We aren't real movie goers and the girls never expressed much interest so I saw no reason to take them before. The movie was in lieu of a birthday party. They enjoyed it but have not asked to go again.

9. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

We tried at 3 it wasn't successful, they were very scared by the dark and the noise, we had to leave, it was a kids movie just can't remember which one now. We then left it until around 5 years old and they were fine.

10. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Cooper is 2.5 and he knows planes is coming out. He has asked to see it a few times. I plan to take him this weekend. He doesn't know it isn't available at home, he has no concept of a theater, but at his age it's free to get in so if he can't sit through it we will leave.

11. mummy2two

mummy2two Well-Known Member

Like the PP's said they should be fine. We took them at 3 and DS had a hard time sitting still for such a long time. Practice at home first - lights out, trying to be quiet, and not move around. We always go to the first show on a weekend. The lights are dimmed and the theater is not usually dark. The volume of movie is also a little quieter and most of the audience members are kids and their parents, so a trip to the bathroom in the middle of a movie is not so unexpected.

I'm sure you know, but just to point out, Planes is a PG movie, not G rated. That being said, my kids can't wait to see it.

Have a great time!

12. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Next time I am going to try to get mine to a park for about an hour before the movie to get their extra energy out. I think it'll help a little.

13. Sisrea

Sisrea Well-Known Member

I took mine to see Cars 2 summer before last so they were 2.5 ish I think. They did pretty well and only had to go potty once. We went again later in that same summer and they fell asleep during the movie. They have done progressively better during movies.

14. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

Mine were 3 1/2. We took them to see the 3D version of The Polar Express and they loved it. DS didn't wear the glasses, but still enjoyed the movie. I find if I buy them enough popcorn, they will sit through anything!

15. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Their first time was like in may, a month after they turned 3. First movie was Croods, their fav. Guess what my husband took them to see Croods 3 times at the theaters, cost almost 100 bucks. They also saw couple kids cartoons the past couple months. They went to theaters for school trips as well. And we don't do 3D at the age. They won't be able to keep the glasses on :)

It actually depends on kids. My girl loves watching movies. So she sits still and watches from beginning to the end. But my boy isn't that patient. He would change seats, moves a bit. But so far he hasn't caused much problem that we don't want I go back.

You might be surprised how well it will go. Just give it a try. If it turns bad, then leave. Gl and have fun! :)

16. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We took the kids to their first movie at 2.5 when Toy Story 3 came out. They loved it. We did go for an early AM show, when the prices were cheaper so if the kids couldn't hang, we didn't feel like we wasted too much money. I bring snacks and drinks with me to the movies. Good luck!

17. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Mine were actually only 2 but they still did great. We saw Winnie the Pooh, so a pretty short one. We went to the 11AM show so there was no one in there and brought a lot of our own snacks. My daughter loved the little boosters the the theater offers. I sat in the handicapped row, so there was a rail in front of us instead of other seats. My son stood the whole time but that was enough to keep him calm and not fidgety. They loved it. They weren't yet potty trained then, so we'll see how many trips to the potty we take next time! We are hoping to take them to Planes, given we can get a sitter for the 1.5 yr old!

18. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

You can check see if there is any drive in theater in your area. It's very fun. We usually go there for kids movies too. We take their carseats out. Push down the back roll and throw in some blankets and pillows, toys, bring lot of snack and portable toilet lol.

We went to see planes yesterday. Omg every single car had like at least 2-3 kids. Lol we could hear kids everywhere. It was pretty fun.

19. Nanny88

Nanny88 Well-Known Member

I was thinking of taking the boys to Monsters University when it come to the dollar theater. They are 18 months right now but one of them is pretty much glued to the TV anytime it is on so I don't think it would be a problem plus I love that mine are still in diaper so I don't have to leave to go potty yet :) I figured if they don't do good I can always leave. I was going to take them to the dollar movies this summer but I could not find an animated one I thought they would like. I am not worried about G vs PG because they don't understand they plot and they love action moves like Xmen and Avengers but I am not sure about them watching them on the big screen and in the loud theater. I love the idea of taking extra buckets for pop corn. They have never had pop corn before so I might need to take some more kids friendly snack and sippy cups. I don't like bringing outside food and drinks because I don't think it is right to disobey they signs but I also don't want them to choke on chewy candy in the dark so I only take baby type food in. I never eat or drink in the theater because then I have to go to the bathroom plus I am there to watch a movie not eat. I usually take the kids out to eat after. I also have never bought anything for kids that I take so I will probably take stuff in the diaper bag but not let them know it is there and only give it to them if necessary.

20. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Well we took Cooper to his first movie last week - Planes - he's 2.5, and he's too young. I won't be bringing him again until he's 3.5. We spent half the movie in the bathroom, or walking back and forth to the bathroom. Luckily we had the theater to ourselves so we weren't bothering anyone. DH wound up standing in the walkway, and I was in the seat and we just let Cooper wander back and forth between us.

21. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My girls were 4 for our first movie and they did great. I took them to a few free movies(we have free summer movies here) before I decided to pay for one. Once I saw that they would sit through the whole movie, then I took them.