Flight seating

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by theflyingflamingo, Feb 4, 2011.

1. theflyingflamingo

theflyingflamingo Active Member

We are taking a flight with our 2-two year old toddlers. - which seat configuration works the best? The airplane is 3 and 3 - two windows 2 middles front and back of each other or 4 across 3 in one row and one across the aisle? Or something else- also car seats or no car seats? Yes you HAVE to travel with 2 toddlers ;-)

Thanks much,
    Michele

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Two windows, two middles, one in front of the other.

We've done it in the 3+1 configuration (Amy, me, Sarah, and then Daddy across the aisle) and of course I wound up having to take care of both kids the whole time. He was willing, but there are just so many times when something's blocking the aisle, or you can't reach, or they just don't think to ask Daddy for something when Mommy is sitting right there! Much better to just have each kid be the sole responsibility of one parent for the duration of the flight.

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with this! Plus, there is the whole peeking at each other through the seats entertainment factor.

And I only took carseats when they were really small. Otherwise, I just save myself the hassle & buckle them into a regular seat.

1 person likes this.
  4. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We did two and two, two windows and two middles, but we did opposite sides of the plane. I didn't want them to get too loud playing around.

5. hezza12

hezza12 Well-Known Member

I agree with the above configuration.. and NO car seats. You'll have so much other stuff to carry on and deal with (kids, bags etc), it's really not worth it. They're old enough to be buckled in, and you can raise an arm rest to maximize your seat space if they're sitting directly on the seat.
    We have flown with car seats before (it was cheaper to bring them then to rent them), but we checked them to save ourselves the hassle on the plane.

6. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

I agree with the others on the seating and NO car seats. However .. we've done 4 across .. and had no problems as well. I recommend bringing portable dvd players too if you can. Many airlines have little tv's built into the seats but some airlines charge for this service. I ended up paying last time .. but it was SO worth it !

7. hagi1

hagi1 New Member

I agree with everyone that two window seats and two middle seats would be the best seating arrangement. As for the car seats, this might not be the popular answer, but as a flight attendant, I would say to bring them on board. Kids are used to sitting in their car seats and tend to fair better on the flights when seated in them. Not to mention it is much safer for them. If you elect not to bring the car seats on board, make sure to gate check them rather than check them in at the counter. That way you can be sure that it'll be put on the same flight you are traveling on. You would hate to get to your destination and not have your car seats arrive as well. Good luck and have fun!

2 people like this.
  8. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

same as most others... 2 window/middle in front of each other, this way if you get desperate you and dh can switch seats if the other twin needs you etc.

I did a 3 and aisle with dh on the other side... well... it was an INTERNATIONAL flight and was a DISASTER! #1 I had no idea that the child couldn't "block" me in.... so it ended up with me on the aisle with the twins on window/middle. I didn't really have a lot of help.

Also, yes I recommend the carseats for the reasons the pp said. Especially if they do well in carseats. ours do settle down when they are nicely restrained so it worked best for us.

good luck!

9. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ditto Tina :)

10. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

Two windows, two aisles, one right behind the other. Chances are, no one will be put in the middle seat so you will have the whole row to yourselves. And if someone does get stuck in the middle seat, they will not mind switching to move to the aisle seat.

11. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I prefer three on one side and then the aisle seat across. DH and I switch off on the aisle and the girls sit together and play or watch a movie.

12. theflyingflamingo

theflyingflamingo Active Member

Thank you all! Lots of food for thought!

13. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Let us know how it goes. I am traveling alone to California from NH in May.....I would love to hear how you worked it all out. Have a great trip!

14. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

I have traveled with my toddlers when they were about 2-1/2 years old this past Christmas for the first time. The planes seats were 3 and three. The way down, I had no choice but to do three seats across on one side and one aisle across from us. I sat in between them on one side and DH got the single seat on the aisle across from us. It worked great! Then on the way up, we tried four across leaving the window seat available for other passengers. This didnt' work out as well, One passenger was more than happy to switch with one of the boys. I ended up between both of them again and DH got the seat alone across. This way I was able to hand each one a snack if needed. We only had one bag with us for the boys and it would have been difficult to reach across the aisle if DH or I needed something from the bag.

We will be going again on a plane trip in May. This time, the plane's configuration is two and two so we are doing one entire row with DH and one boy on one side and me with another boy on the other. We'll switch boys on the way back home. We'll also make sure we each have a bag and snacks for the boys each way. Bring entertainment as they'll need plenty to do! We got eh CARE airplane 5point buckles. It does ok, but you'll need to tighten the airplane seat belt very tight or they'll slip through the bottom and the harness will be of no good. Click HERE for the link for the Amazon listing.

Here's a decent picture of the unit

I found it easy to set up, but it's good to use your car seats to practice if you want to (If you want to get something like this. I really did find it helpful so at least they don't swing forward and back and it does keep them in their seats pretty well. It's TONS lighter than a car seat and definitely easier to carry.

15. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

If you have car seats they MUST be installed in the window seats. I always make sure I have aisles. I think it's important with kids to stand up, and get out whenever you need to. I would never block myself in a row with small children. With 5 we usually take a 3-2 behind eachother, leaving the window open for somebody else. This summer, I'll be flying back by myself with 3 children (13 hours) and it's 3-4-3, so no choice to take a 4, but should be OK. At least you get 2 aisles on each side. Car seats depends on age, I haven't done it since they turned 18 months or so.

16. Username

Username Well-Known Member

You can plan all you want but sometimes it just doesn't work out the way you think it will. Yesterday I traveled from Orlando to Chicago to Boston alone with 4 kids (ages 10,7, 3 and 3). The first leg we had 3 and 2 across the asile. Sounds lovely, but my kids were hellions. All of them.

2nd leg we had the same configuration but got on the plane only to find the row we were assigned didn't exist! (No row 29 or 30 on this plane, so 12 people got on only to find no seats for them!) The ended up giving us 5 middle seats! So my 3 year olds were each supposed to sit alone between strangers out of my sight. On a flight that is only supposed to be 2h20m but ended up being 4h20m. 15 hours after they got on their first flight due to cancellations and delays. Yikes!

My older two were lucky and got to sit together in the back of the plane and other kind passengers moved so I could sit with my two little ones. And 3 of the 4 kids slept the majority of the time. It was the smoothest flight we've ever had.

I think the best travel advice is- you aren't in control anymore and let people help you! If someone offers to take your roll-aboard on for you so you can hold the hand of someone who is nervous or needy just then, take it! No need to be supermom here!

I haven't unpacked yet (should be doing that now!) but I'm planning the next trip to the redwoods for the summer. Again, I'll end up traveling back alone as we'll leave dp there for work.

17. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I prefer one row, with two aisle/middle seats. We put both parents in the aisles; that way we can pass things across if needed. And I second the recommendation for the CARES harnesses. They're seriously great. It allows your kids to be securely fastened in a regular airplane seat... with no need to lug two humungous car seats on the plane.

18. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I prefer one row, with two aisle/middle seats. We put both parents in the aisles; that way we can pass things across if needed. And I second the recommendation for the CARES harnesses. They're seriously great. It allows your kids to be securely fastened in a regular airplane seat... with no need to lug two humungous car seats on the plane.