Floor potties are too small!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Snittens, May 2, 2008.

1. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's just that my kids are big, they are, but the floor potties are too small. If their thighs touch when they sit, then the pee goes everywhere. All the potties seem small, like the seat and the opening is for 18 month olds. I got them because I wanted them to be able to go potty more or less independently, and I also didn't want accidents if both have to go potty at the same time. I think I just wasted a bunch of money buying four stupid potties!

2. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

:hug99: teach them to watch their toes when they are pottying and it will go in the potty. It's all about the position when it comes to potty escaping. We only have one bathroom in our house, and the kid's bedrooms are down 2 flights of stairs to get to it, so we have a little potty in their room for overnight. They are 5 and 7 and use it without a problem, but they also are old enough to know how to sit on it. So, I think once you/they figure out position, you'll be good!

3. anicosia

anicosia Well-Known Member

We didn't have that problem, but I did notice that the girls prefer the "big" potty. They are good about taking turns going on it. I didn't want them to go on their own too much as I like to supervise the whole thing. Wiping and handwashing etc... I can't leave them alone with the tp. It's too much of a temptation.

4. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

My boys didnt use the potty long, but we didnt have that problem when we were training. Hmmm.

5. greymom

greymom Well-Known Member

I know what you're saying. We've been having that problem a bit too. I think Heather is right - it seems to be all about finding the right angle.

The other issue we have is that they are so lightweight (we have Baby Bjorn), that the boys are picking it up and running around the house with it. Oh, and also putting the removal tray on their heads to wear as a hat :rolleyes:

Michelle

6. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

7. djpizzuti

djpizzuti Well-Known Member

Both of my boys were way to large to use a potty chair (I can't tell you how much money I wasted trying to find one they could use). I finally ended up teaching them to sit backwards on the "big potty" (the hole is smaller toward the front and they felt more secure). It worked well. I won't be buying any potty chairs for my next two in line to train.

Good luck finding something that works for you!

8. carmenandwhittsmom

carmenandwhittsmom Well-Known Member

No advice here. We went with potty rings because I was too lazy to clean the potties. Of course, there is quite of bit of sprinting up and downstairs when they both have to go. I like to think of it as my time at the gym :D

9. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

10. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We inherited a Baby Bjorn potty ring from someone, and have just started using it and it's a huge improvement. We were having that problem too, with the pee going everywhere. (Or they'd take the "bowl" insert out of the little potty and then try to go potty without it.) I got a little plastic stepstool from Target or something, and they can climb up on the big potty and sit there all by themselves. They love it, and it's easier for me.

The only problem is that only one of them can go potty at a time, but they are usually OK about waiting their turn. And for some reason, they're not as inclined to sit there forever (maybe it's just a tiny bit less comfy?), which is a plus.