Flower girls - good, bad, and ugly?

Discussion in 'General' started by miss_bossy18, Jan 29, 2015.

1. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I need some insight! Justin's cousin has just asked if the girls would be her flower girls in her wedding this summer. Ultimately, I'm sure we'll be saying yes and the girls will be thrilled but having never done this before, fill me in on the good, the bad, and the ugly about your kids being in someone else's wedding?

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids were in my sil's in 2013. And they will be in my sis' wedding at the end of August. There were really no issues at all. The only one was annabella at the end of the night (I'm talking midnight) she was exhausted! We were going from 8 Am. She has every right to be exhausted. I've got a perfect pic too lol. I honestly can't say anything bad about it!

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

My girls have been flower girls in 3 weddings and we never had any real issues.  

The first time was when they were 4 (my niece's wedding) and I was concerned about them sitting through the 1 hour mass.  Meara did need to take a pee break but Kevin took her out. I also asked if they could do the post-ceremony group pictures first so my girls didn't need to hang around for an hour+ at the church with nothing to do.  Everyone was fine with that.   The next two times were for my brother's wedding (poor Ana was sick so Meara had to do her flower girl duties alone), and then my sister's wedding where those girls shut down that party!  

As long as the bride/groom/family have reasonable expectations for kids at a wedding then it should be fine.  And I got a say in their dresses all three times which was great :)

1 person likes this.
  4. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids were in my sil's wedding, she took care of their dresses and suit and we showed up and it was all very easy :)

5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup. My mil took care of Bella's dress and hair and nails I believe. I'll do it for my sisters wedding. They are at a great age they will have so much fun! Annabella was 4 for my SIL and will be 6 for my sisters.

6. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Do it! My kids loved having a job at my sil's wedding, dressing up, and all the attention. The only downside was that my sil had insane suit requirements and I had to shop for them myself.

7. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

My twins were flower boy and girl in my brother's wedding when they were a bit over two. Everyone was very relaxed with their expectations for the kids although this was a big and very formal wedding. I chose their dress and suit, they showed up, managed the ceremony sitting beside DH and I (I was matron of honour and we all sat up front together) and scattered flowers after the ceremony, a bit ineffectively but very aware of their important duty. They even lasted through the formal dinner at the head table and then they slept on a couch in the lounge area while the grown-ups partied. Super easy and a lot of fun.

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My kids have not been in anyone's wedding but I have.  And I was a 6 year old who was very attached to her mother and one of the things I remember is sitting at the bridal table (my mother at a table in the general audience) and sobbing at the table that I missed my Mommy and I wanted to sit with her. 
    So my only advice is, make you sure they get to sit with you.  I am pretty sure if my kids had been in anyone's wedding, it would be the one thing I'd make sure to have happen, that they are sitting with me.

9. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls were flower girls in my brother in laws wedding when they were 6.   They had a blast.  The bride picked out everything- we didn't get a say including their hair.  Girls partied hard after, then crashed on 2 chairs till it was over.  Had some of the cutest pictures.
    They were just jr bridesmaids in my other BIL's wedding.   We had a little say in the dress ( you might remember me venting about the dresses).  Again girls had a blast.  They sat at their own table with the other 2 jr bridesmaids.

They are going to be bridesmaids in my sisters wedding in May.  We are going dress shopping next month i think.  

Make sure you talk with the bride and groom to set up what ever expectations will work best for you.  At my BIL's wedding in 2011, my girls were the only kids there.  They sat at a table with us and my parents and my MIL.  This year they sat with the other jr bridesmaid and had a blast.  Probably more fun than if they sat with us. 

10. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

My girls were in weddings at age 4.5 & 5.5 and did great!

Both were fairly low-key. Dresses were age appropriate and inexpensive....we did the girls hair ourselves. Both weddings were afternoon wedding wtih evening reception. Bring snacks! We 'snacked' after wedding before reception and that kept the hungry-angry temper tantrums at bay. 

The best thing we did was an 'exit' plan. I took the girls back to the hotel so DH could stay at the reception when it got late.... I was OK with that (not a party person) and it worked out great. The girls were only a bit tired the next day- which also had family obligations.

The kids sat with us at both weddings- we didnt event ask, the brides both knew that would work best and neither wedding had a lot of kids.

11. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also second this; Kris was in the wedding party as well and my boys were the only kids at the wedding, so my SIL sat me with the kids away from the rest of the family with the other teenage cousins. The kids kept wanting to go see Daddy and run over to their grandparents because it was the only people that they knew.. it was kind of inconsiderate. But, dinner is only an hour and I fully let them raid the candy bar to the point of illness, so it all worked out. And we have some of the best pictures of the kids out on the dance floor that night.

12. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

My boys have never been in a wedding, but my nieces were in mine.  They were 3,5, and 8 at the time.  The parents of the two younger girls were in the wedding, and we invited their Nana (other grandmother), and after walking down the aisle, the girls sat with her for the ceremony.  The wedding and reception were during a Sunday afternoon, so they were fine.  They sat with their Nana, and had a great time.  All the girls did really well!  I made their dresses, but their parents took care of hair.

13. Alexandr Viun

Alexandr Viun Member

When I came from Holland, I learned that it is necessary to give flowers to girls with a reason and without a reason. THERE they do it all the time. It's good that a friend advised me a website for the delivery of the freshest flowers https://royalflora.net/en-gb/minsk/. There is always a large selection of bouquets and compositions for beloved girls. I recommend to everyone