Flying and ear infections

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cajuntwinmom, Dec 20, 2006.

1. cajuntwinmom

cajuntwinmom Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm freaking out. My mom is sooooo excited about us coming to visit. I haven't spent a Christmas with her in 10 years and she bought us tickets to fly to Phoenix to see her on Sunday. Well, recently, my entire family (along with our daycare) has come down with this nasty upper respiratory infection, coughing, nasal congestion, and ear infections. Yes, even I have one and I haven't had an ear infection since I was a kid!!!

Anyway, we are all on Zithromax, but I've heard it doesn't always work on ear infections. My son seems a lot better, he was the first to get this nasty infection and finished his last dose. The rest of us finish our last dose on Friday.

I absolutely cannot cancel this flight. For one, it's nonrefundable and two it would devastate my entire family.
    Dr. Spock says once the fever is gone from the infection, that it is okay to fly, but gave some recommendations to relieve the pain. Anyone have any suggestions!!

2. cajuntwinmom

Okay, I'm freaking out. My mom is sooooo excited about us coming to visit. I haven't spent a Christmas with her in 10 years and she bought us tickets to fly to Phoenix to see her on Sunday. Well, recently, my entire family (along with our daycare) has come down with this nasty upper respiratory infection, coughing, nasal congestion, and ear infections. Yes, even I have one and I haven't had an ear infection since I was a kid!!!

Anyway, we are all on Zithromax, but I've heard it doesn't always work on ear infections. My son seems a lot better, he was the first to get this nasty infection and finished his last dose. The rest of us finish our last dose on Friday.

I absolutely cannot cancel this flight. For one, it's nonrefundable and two it would devastate my entire family.
    Dr. Spock says once the fever is gone from the infection, that it is okay to fly, but gave some recommendations to relieve the pain. Anyone have any suggestions!!

3. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I had to fly back from Florida this spring when both of mine had ear infections. I made sure that they both had tylenol before the flight and had something to suck on (a paci) during takeoff and landing. Catherine did throw up, but they didn't get antibiotics until the next day. I hope yours are feeling better in time for your trip and that you have a wonderful Holiday [​IMG]

4. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

If your ears normally bother you when you fly, if you go to a drugstore or grocery in the pharmacy section there is a product called Earplanes. They are ear plugs designed for flying. I get a new pair every time I fly. Without them, my ears just feel like someone has a knife inside adn they are trying to cut their way out. It's horrible, I cry on ever single descent unless I have these. So, this may help with fluid build up, etc. in the ears. They are AWESOME!!! I put them in as soon as I can feel the plane starting to make it's descent (or as soon as they announce it) and my ears are clear, I don't have to worry about gum chewing and I have NO pain. They are awesome. I swear by them everytime I fly. As for kids...no adive, but I think they make kid size ones too. Goodluck!

5. JeninSF

JeninSF Well-Known Member

My daughter had a terrible ear infection when we flew at thanksgiving (we had only gotten antibiotics 12 hours before getting on the plane!)
    My dr. told me to give her motrin 30 minutes before boarding, then tylenol 4 hours later. suck/chew/swallow on take off and landing. Since my daughter is 2.5, we gave her gum, but bottles would work fine. Take off she was fine, but it did bug her during landing.
    oh and if they have fever, even more fluids than normal. the plane dries you out as it is.

6. cajuntwinmom

Thanks soooo much. I am going to definitely try the EarPlanes! Iwill also try the sucking thing..Neither of them take a paci, so that's definitely out, but I will try a bottle. Hopefully the flight attendant will be able to get us something to fill the bottles with...Since they won't let you bring anything on board.

I am just so nervous about the flight and the earaches and sick to death of all 4 of us being sick.

Thanks for the suggestions!

7. Tam1969

Tam1969 Well-Known Member

I would call your pedi before the trip and see if he can give you something else. I am suprised they didn't give you Augmentin or Amoxicillian. That's the two we get for ear infections. The zithromax is great for sinus infections.
    When you are preboarding the plane, just ask the flight attendant for some apple/orange juice. They usually have those. Good luck with your flight.

8. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

My girls were about the same age when all four of us came down with a nasty cold like that during vacation. Since we had to come home, we flew with it. I'll tell you, it wasn't pleasant but it was okay. The girls were grumpy but I gave them tylenol (for pain) and Benadryl (to help them sleep). All four of us ate Dum Dum lollipops during take-off and landing to help the ears pop but it was uncomfortable.

I'd take the babies into the pedi today to have their ears checked again. If they aren't healing, then get a prescription before you leave on your trip.