food allergy recommendations?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lisagayle, Jan 12, 2011.

1. lisagayle

lisagayle Well-Known Member

So have any of you heard the latest advice for foods that can potentially cause allergic reactions? Like peanut butter, eggs, etc?

I have a 3 year old and I give him PB&J for lunch often. He's had it since he was about 2.5, maybe? However a friend of mine told me today that she was told not to offer her daughter peanut butter until 6. SIX?! Really? I asked her who said that, thought maybe it was her pedi, but she said she just read that was the recommendation. They have no history of food allergies, so has anybody heard that?

Also - eggs. My 8 month old twins LOVE scrambled eggs. But I always separate the whites from the yolks and only give them the yolks since apparently egg whites are another high allergy food. We have never had a food allergy in mine or DH's family as far back as I can remember. Can I just give them the whole egg? What is the right age for that?

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

6 is being a little cautious if you ask me. I know there are no real restrictions anymore. The earlier you introduce certain foods such as peanut butter and eggs has been proved to lessen the occurance of allergies. They now say to introduce them before the age of 1

3. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Your pedi knows the best, call and ask.

I'm allergy to yellow eggs when I was little. So I haven't given them any egg. You can give them white egg, after their first birthday. Peanut and honey, I think its after 2 years old. If you don't have family history food allergy, then I wouldn't stress too much. Like I say, ask your pedi and follow the rule.

You might already know. Different pedis have so many different opinions about almost everything. And many pedis got sued. So if few kids in million of them got sick because of eating egg, peanut then they would say 'oh no, no peanut before 2.' I don't know why 2? But if you read all the children med like tylenol, admin. They always say ask doctor for under 2.

So I would say follow your pedi recommendation. And when you give them those foods, watch them eat closely and also start the car. If they give you weird reaction, run to er...just kidding..but I understand how nervous we would be. Me 2!!

4. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

My pedi said that the girls can have anything except for things that I'm allergic to (bananas and melons) and anything with peanuts. I, too, think six is a bit overly cautious.

5. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

The AAP says that if there is no history of food allergy you can introduce as early as you want. If there is family history, then the recommendation is to wait until 2 for peanuts. In all my years as a pediatrician I have never heard of someone waiting until 6! My kids got fish by the time they were 7m, eggs by the time they were 9m, peanut butter around 11m.

1 person likes this.
  6. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

When my boys were were infants, it had just come out that it's actually worse to wait to introduce the high allergen foods(AAP). One would wait to introduce the foods if an immediate family member had one. I waited on peanuts because my nephew was allergic to cashews(I waited until 12 months), and my pedi said we could even say one was a tree nut and the other wasn't. I do think six is quite extreme....