Food ideas for Class Room Party

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by cm301263, Oct 22, 2015.

1. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

I have volunteered  to provide goodies for my boys class Halloween party next week.

I want to have some fun treats but also some healthy options as there is one child that has type 1 diabetes.

Ideas would be awesome for both sweets and healthy options.

Thanks!~

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm going to do a fruit platter that looks like a pumpkin. So orange slices(mandarin), then put grapes in triangle shape where eyes go. Can do raisins for mouth and nose, or whatever! Pinterest has ideas! Then celery for the stem. :)

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Celery sticks with peanut butter and raisins for "ants" are cute and fairly diabetic friendly.  Also cheese sticks are good.  He or she might appreciate a bag of sugar-free candy as an option - I work with a diabetic elementary kid at work and he likes the Russell Stover sugar-free candy.  I got him some for parties and tried one or two out of curiosity and they actually taste really good (but are pricey).  If soda is allowed for the party, pick up a can of Coke Zero for him/her to avoid sugar.  Juice is probably a big no since it's major sugar content, but maybe Crystal Lite?

If the school has a school nurse who helps monitor that student, the nurse can come see what he/she eats and take that into account for carb counts and insulin shot for the day.  That's what my kiddo at school does when there is a party.  He can pretty much have what he wants as long as it's covered by insulin or adjustments in the rest of the day (unless his sugar is unusually high and then the nurse will tell him no).

Hope that helps!

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

There is also the snack bags of pretzels and popcorn (like Boom Chicka Pop).

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

My girls are bringing in halloween pretzels for their school parties... they are just mini bags of pretzels in halloween shapes.

6. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

The boys have 2 type 1 diabetics in their classroom.  They also have multiple food allergy kids including mine.  There is also a child with celiac disease.  The teacher prefers items with labels so she can read the label for gluten and allergies and get the info needed to adjust the diabetics' pumps.  She does look up info on fruit etc.  but having other foods with labels is very helpful.  If its a homemade item from a mix then we have to bring in the box label.  For the diabetics she carefully fixes their plates and records the exact servings.  Has them test their sugar.  They eat.  When they are done she subtracts what they didn't eat and adjust their pump for the extra dose of insulin. 

I would not take anything with peanut butter.  But I am very biased against it since my kiddo will break out in hives just from touching it.  Peanut butter smears everywhere and getting a class of kids to wash hands after eating during a party is not realistic.  And yes his entire school is peanut/tree nut free but its private.

Typically the party includes fruit, veggie, cookie, cheese, crackers, drink.  Honestly I'd be perfectly fine with a no food party.  Life isn't all about the food. 

Taking in birthday treats is a real treat....  my two prefer to take something that all the kids can eat because they understand what its like to be left out.

7. kinak402

kinak402 Member

food platter is awesome idea. :)