Food suggestions for twin toddlers

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by melissao, Jun 19, 2007.

1. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

A very popular topic here in 1-5 is food/snack suggestions for toddlers. Please feel free to add your suggestions to this sticky to help others add some variety to their childrens' diets. Thank you :)

2. boysontheway

boysontheway Member

I hope to learn more tricks for healthy eating.

One healthy modification I have started is mixing in 1/2 a package of defrosted frozen spinach into regular Mac N Cheese. Mix it in very well. The boys don't even notice it. I don't even taste it.

3. melslp13

melslp13 Well-Known Member

My DDs hate eggs, so today I tried a "quiche"- I lined a greased bowl with a tortilla, added (defrosted) frozen spinach, and 2 eggs beaten with a little milk, baked for 23 min at 375 degrees. Topped it with cheese and had to microwave another min d/t eggs not fully done. They ate it and didn't hate it at least, though I suspect Hannah caught on that it was eggs after about half the food was eaten, but they loove tortillas and green vegetables, so that helped

4. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

Whenever I fix homemade pizza I make a portion of it all veggies for the girls. I will steam squash, zucchini, or whatever I made have on hand, steam it, and then layer it on the crust with sauce and cheese. They eat it up and it is a nice change for us adults, too.

5. ****mws****

****mws**** Banned

frozen peas,
    frozen salad chicken. pre cooked. ( sams club)
    cream cheese

mix and serve.. mine loveit..

6. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

mine love pasta so I use Barilla Plus which has more whole grain and much higher amounts of protein...also I add ground beef (90% lean) to the sauce for additional protein...my kids hate eggs and chicken (unless its nuggets) so its a way to get extra protein in them..

oh and they love onion, mushrooms and garlic...

7. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

for those whom have conquered peanut butter I found that mixing it with applesauce thins it out a bit and makes it a more "whipped" consistancy and my kids ate a bit more of it (they're so far not crazy about it though...)

8. mom_stacyX2

mom_stacyX2 Well-Known Member

My kiddos favs (at 16m):
    Snacks: Captain wafer crackers, stix crackers, graham crackers, animal crackers, cheeseit's, fig newtons, mini muffins, fruit cups.

9. Maytwinsmom

Maytwinsmom Well-Known Member

One of my kdis favorite: Culliflower gretin

saute 3-4 tomatoes, in some butter (however much you are comforatble with), add cheddar cheese, pepper and a little salt, serve over steam culliflower. It is good !!!!!

10. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

ok, I just tried this today for the first time and my girls GOBBLED IT UP!!! It may be something you have already heard of or tried but thought I'd share.

I lightly toasted 2 pieces of bread, then put cream cheese on it. Then I mashed up about a 1/4 of a banana and spread it on top like a jelly and cut it into bite size pieces. THEY LOVED IT!!!

11. bkimberly

bkimberly Well-Known Member

Avacodos. I started them as one of our first solids, they are mushy enough that they handled them pretty young. To this day mine still love them! Also alfredo sauce, you can hide almost anything with it!

12. motheringtwins

motheringtwins Well-Known Member

Here are my 'never fail' meals:

1.Ok, this is a 1 minute cheese on toast.

put 1 or 2 slices of bread in the toaster, as its toasting, slice up a few slices of their favourite cheese, put it on the toast and stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Nothing to clean up, no appliances to plug in. Takes 1 minute and they love it.

2.Another favourite is chicken drumsticks. Brush them in oil, honey, soya sauce, mild mustard, (or leave any of those ingredients out) and stick it in the overn for about 40 minutes.

3.Hash browns is also quite easy.
    Grate up anything you have in the fridge (EG potato, zucchini, onion, carrott, cauliflower, whatever you have) mix in 1 beaten egg, a small handful of flower.

Turn it into patties and fry it in oil (dont need to deepfry) until golden brown.

13. kaysyd

kaysyd Well-Known Member

My girls are little for their adjusted age so I have to concentrate on adding calories. They don't eat meat (and if so- I am lucky for the day). Here are some tricks that have worked a couple times.

Stovetop dressing meatloaf- 1 bag stovetop stuffing, add to 1 lb raw burger meat, and add an egg. Cook. (Now my girls will eat this- I don't know if it lessens the smell of meat or what).

Quiches with sour cream in them- covers up the smell of the egg. This is the only way I can get Syd to eat eggs. I put them in the little muffin pan and it makes individualized quiches.

If you need to add calories to their meals- I make pudding with half and half and whole milk. I add avocado to things. I put a little butter on their veggies- I have no problems getting veggies or fruit in them.

Sweet potato fries- a variation of the "fry" but they taste great!

I'll have to post more when I have time.

Oh, Nutrigrain bars, cheerios for snacks.

14. micheleinohio

micheleinohio Well-Known Member

My boys love frozen gogurt and fresh fruits. I'm not anywhere near as creative as the rest of you.

15. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

This is kind of random, but mine both seem to like enchiladas. :D

Our fail-safe food is frozen mini-quiches from Costco. I dread the day they start turning them down.

They also like just about any kind of muffin or quick bread (banana bread, etc.), as long as it's not too crumbly.

Other faves:
    cut-up fruit (esp. bananas, strawberries, blueberries, and AVOCADO)
    fish sticks
    scrambled eggs
    multigrain crackers
    Nutrigrain bars
    pizza (including pizza with meat, which they pretty much don't eat in any other form)

And if I'm desperate to get a vegetable into them, I feed them baby food, which they love (goodness knows why).

16. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

Chicken Rotel has been a recent hit.
    PT if you want the recipe.

17. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

Frozen Yogurt-covered Cheerios:

mix a bowl of cheerios with just enough yogurt to coat....spread out on a plate/cookie sheet with wax paper & freeze. They love these & a great snack!!!

18. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

Veggies they love: fresh roasted beets (they like canned ones too, but love fresh!), boiled carrots with butter and herbs, peas (all), creamed spinach, little spinach, zucchini and broccoli pancakes sold in the kosher section of the frozen foods aisle

Fruits: all

Meats: use dark meat chicken (goes down easier and tastes better), make meatballs of all sorts and add veggies like shredded carrots and spinach and freeze them in baggies

19. kaysyd

kaysyd Well-Known Member

QUOTE(naomi02 @ Jun 28 2007, 11:36 AM) [snapback]310405[/snapback]
    Frozen Yogurt-covered Cheerios:
    mix a bowl of cheerios with just enough yogurt to coat....spread out on a plate/cookie sheet with wax paper & freeze. They love these & a great snack!!!

can't wait to try them!!

20. marcy874

marcy874 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(kaysyd @ Jun 27 2007, 12:42 PM) [snapback]309221[/snapback]
    Quiches with sour cream in them- covers up the smell of the egg. This is the only way I can get Syd to eat eggs. I put them in the little muffin pan and it makes individualized quiches.

If you need to add calories to their meals- I make pudding with half and half and whole milk. I add avocado to things. I put a little butter on their veggies- I have no problems getting veggies or fruit in them.

Sweet potato fries- a variation of the "fry" but they taste great!

These are great ideas! I have a mini muffin pan that has seen little use, so I need to try the mini-quiches - mine won't eat eggs or meat either!

Lately mine have been eating these fish nuggets I got (breaded chunks of fish, not minced fish) if they can dip them in ketchup. I've found out they they like everything better if they can dip it!!

Spaghetti is always a hit and about the only way they'll eat hamburger. They also love mac n cheese, so I've started putting a little canned tuna in it and they're not picking it out yet!

21. micheleinohio

micheleinohio Well-Known Member

LOVE the yogurt covered cheerios idea!!!!

22. melslp13

melslp13 Well-Known Member

DD stopped eating veggies this week for no good reason. Even her favored carrots are refused, so to get good old veggies in her and avoid having to serve baby food again, I chopped the carrots very fine, cooked them down in the microwave, and mixed them with crushed tomatos, then served that as a "sauce" over spaghetti. They LOVED it and didn't even notice that the carrots were hidden inside. Also, when all else fails, I put parmesan cheese on almost anything and they'll eat it, at least a little, to get the cheese flavor.

23. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

anything frozen. -- still frozen.
    frozen blueberries, frozen banana slices, frozen peas. ice cream or frozen yogurt. pop sicles (frozen fruit juice bars).

frozen pizza and frozen corn dogs -- they eat these cooked and still warm. LOL

they will eat anything if they can dip it in ketchup, alfredo sauce, salsa, sour cream, salad dressings, etc.

bowtie pasta

anything that is on MY plate.

24. twice_the_fun

twice_the_fun Well-Known Member

The girls love pita pockets w/ cream cheese. I get the mini pita pockets (from Publix - they're about 2" across), cut them in half and fill w/ cream cheese. They like the regular and the strawberry flavor cream cheese.

They also love the idea of a picnic. I'll make the pita pockets and put some grapes or baby carrots (raw), etc. on a plate and we eat out on their mats on the patio or on the floor in the living room. They think it's fun.

25. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

My guys love Fish Sticks, and they like to dip them in chocolate pudding.

They love Chicken nuggets, chicken tenders and chicken fillets.

Their favorite veggies are carrots and corn. They would prefer corn on the cob than out of the can.

They LOVE pork roast. That is how I get them to eat so many carrots.

They LOVE the lunchables, they make sandwiches out of the meats, cheeses and crackers. Plus, it comes with a drink.

My guys also like the sweet potato fries, especially with a little cinnamon sprinkled over them.

They like just about all the different rice varieties that you buy in a box. Their fave is broccoli and cheese.

They aren't real big on fruits, but they get their servings from the juicy juice. They drink 2 containers of juicy juice a day. (46 ounces total, so split between them is 23 ounces). Plus they still drink two sippies of milk a day, once in the morning, and one before bed.