? for Katherine P re: hearing test (or anyone whose toddlers had hearing sceened)

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by bthom, Nov 28, 2006.

1. bthom

bthom Well-Known Member

Hi Katherine, since you are an audiologist I thought I'd ask you! Just a simple question--my boys are having a hearing screen next week (we started speech through Early Intervention). Do you think I should bring someone with me to the exam? I have a sitter scheduled b/c I was supposed to work that day and now I wonder if I should have her come with me to the test. How exactly do they test hearing for a toddler under 2? Do I participate somehow? Thanks!

2. bthom

bthom Well-Known Member

Hi Katherine, since you are an audiologist I thought I'd ask you! Just a simple question--my boys are having a hearing screen next week (we started speech through Early Intervention). Do you think I should bring someone with me to the exam? I have a sitter scheduled b/c I was supposed to work that day and now I wonder if I should have her come with me to the test. How exactly do they test hearing for a toddler under 2? Do I participate somehow? Thanks!

3. PumpkinPies

PumpkinPies Well-Known Member

While you're waiting for an official response, I thought I'd give you my opinion. I wear hearing aids and am the veteran of numerous hearing tests. The one being tested goes into a booth, the examiner sits outside and records & measures his response to what he hears. Since you have to take both boys, I'd definitely take someone to hold the waiter. The one being tested may need you to hold him to keep him calm during the check (if that's allowed). I wouldn't want to risk unreliable results because one couldn't get calm without you, for instance. Good luck!

4. kimr

kimr Well-Known Member

We had hearing tests thru early intervention also. Its like Marcia says, the child having the test sits in a booth. Natalie had her last one done at 1 year and she sat on my lap for the test. I did not bring Brooke with. Since both of yours are getting tested I would bring the b/s with to hold the baby on deck.

5. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

You may want to PT Katherine, she hasn't logged in for about 3 weeks now.

6. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

Hello! I'm an audiologist as well so I'll give you some advice!
    Definitely bring a second set of hands. You will need to go into the booth with each one and hold them. Essentially, what happens with kids their age is you will hear noise coming out of speakers and we attempt to condition the child to respond to the sound by looking in the direction of a puppet that we light up and move around. There may also be some objective test done (called OAE) in which the child doesn't have to do anything but sit still and quiet (easier for some than others...mine cannot do this. They are the kinds of kids I dread testing. lol). Anyway, it's pretty simple. If you can schedule the appt when they are well rested and fed, it would be great :)

7. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Andrew sat on my lap in the booth for the test. They were looking for his response to noises, etc. on both sides of him. They watched to see if he turned his head, etc. They didn't do ear phones or anything where he had to give a response. Catherine went in with us too. Less than ideal, but it went ok. HTH [​IMG]

8. Tracy623

Tracy623 Well-Known Member

I had both of mine tested prior to starting speech at 17 months. They used sound field testing as people have described in PP. I had both in the booth with me and she tested them at the same time. Less than ideal but it worked! If you have an extra set of hands bring them along but I would recommend that you go in with the child being tested.

Good luck!
    Tracy

9. TwinMom205

TwinMom205 Well-Known Member

I think the boys were around 15 months the first time we had their hearing tested. I took them by myself. One sat in the stroller in the hall while I was in the sound room with the one being tested, then we switched. We just had then retested a month ago and this time the one being tested sat in a kid chair at a kids table playing with toys, while I sat with the waiter on my lap at the back of the room. It worked out pretty well. It would be easier to have help, but you can do it yourself if you need to.

Christine

10. Katherine P

Katherine P Well-Known Member

Sorry guys, I've had serious probs w/the phone/internet, etc. It's been crazy. Glad Ali was able to answer your questions. I concur w/ what she said. How'd it go?