For those of you still swaddling

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jroberts, Dec 30, 2008.

1. jroberts

jroberts Well-Known Member

Our twins are 2 1/2 months old and we're still trying to swaddle them at night, unfortunately the swaddlers we have are getting small and we just can't get the blankets tight enough. What do you use?

2. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

We used Halo Sleep blankets with a swaddle piece at that age. HTH :).

3. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

Miracle Blankets!! They are expensive new ($40 each), but I was able to purchase them used from a TS member.

I highly recommend them...we finally weaned the babies from the swaddle last week, but they were still unable to break the Miracle Blanket swaddle!

Good luck,
    Sarah

4. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

We used the www.MomsOnCall.com blankets. They're just square flannel blankets, but they're 44" x 44", so they were plenty big enough to wrap our bigger babies tightly. Their website also has a short video on a wrapping technique that is very secure.

5. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

We used Miracle Blankets until we stopped swaddling at 6 months.

6. Jeb-O

Jeb-O Well-Known Member

We use Kiddopotumus swaddles... they still work like a charm for our boys.

7. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

I just bought some SQUARE receiving blankets from Target - they're a chocolate and either pink or blue/green color scheme. My son is 5 months and 15 lbs. and fits quite nicely in these blankets with room to grow. I can wrap it around him very snugly, though halfway through the night he still breaks free (got to find some velcro or something!) but at least it helps him fall asleep and he stays like that for a good few hours....

8. jewels707

jewels707 Well-Known Member

Check out the Woombie. Our babes aren't here yet but I bought them on the recommendation of a friend whose little one slept 6 hrs. the first night they put her in one. They were developed by a nurse who has four children, two of which are twins.

9. 4under4mom

4under4mom Member

Miracle Blankets for sure! We bought one when our boys were getting there little arms out of everything else! They are wrapped up like a little burrito :D

10. Olivia602

Olivia602 Active Member

Like "blue cloud" we used the swaddle blankets that come in all the colors with chocolate dots or circles. They are nice and big
    and easy to swaddle. And they are very cool looking! We ordered ours from Target, but I've seen them at other places. Von Maur, I think
    even Nordstroms.

Then to the Swaddle Me wraps (Babies R Us), then to Halo sacks with swaddle attachment, now on the regular Halo sacks. Loved them ALL and highly
    recommend them all.
    Although, if had to do it again, would try the Miracle Blanket--everything I've heard about this is awesome.

11. msamoyedny

msamoyedny Well-Known Member

I've tried them all and miracle blankets are the best by far. My boys are still in them and they can not get out.

12. chrystalvaughn

chrystalvaughn Well-Known Member

Kiddopotumus swaddles. I just had to order on line the larger size because the stores around here don't carry the large.

13. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Jeb-O @ Dec 31 2008, 06:51 AM) [snapback]1127723[/snapback]
    We use Kiddopotumus swaddles... they still work like a charm for our boys.

we used these until our twins were 4-5 months. At that point they could roll and shimmy etc so we let them sleep freely :)

14. tbeards

tbeards Well-Known Member

I make my own and I loved them for when I swaddled my dd and I have 10 new ones for my twin girls I am expecting this Spring. I also give them out as baby gifts and the receivers know I will be giving them and look forward to it : ) I also make matching burp cloths to give as a gift package.

Here is how you make them (it is very easy):

1.) Buy two 1-1/4 yards of fabric of complimentary fabric and print. I love using the adorable baby flannel that is only $2.99 from JoAnn's or another fabric store. You can also use muslin (popular for warmer weather - I live in Minnesota). The flannel fabric is 45" wide.
    2.) Fold both pieces of fabric from one corner to the opposite corner to make a triangle (adjust for fabric that isn't going to be 45" x 45". Make sure all corners are 90 degrees. Also make sure the selvage is trimmed off as sometimes they are wide and have print on them which you won't want on the facing side to be seen.
    3.) Pre-wash the fabric in cold water and let air dry if needed.
    4.) With right sides facing, sew a seam 5/8" from the edge all the way around the blanket and leave a 6" opening so you can turn the blanket right side out when finished. Do not start in a corner. Start about 1" from a corner so you can keep a clean corner edge.
    5.) Turn the blanket right side out. I like to iron the blanket at this time so I get a nice blanket edge.
    6.) Sew or hand stitch the 6" opening closed (sew as close to the edge as possible). You can also hand stitch an invisible seam if desired. I do the former.
    7.) Sew a straight stitch 5/8" from the right side edge of the blanket to give it a nice finishing. I like to use a decorative thread (i.e. sateen lavender/purple with a matching print fabric) sometimes to finish it off.

All in all, besides any pre-washing, the blankets only take about 20 minutes to make.

15. Pookersb

Pookersb Member

We just went up to the large size Kiddopatomus.

16. kimpo76

kimpo76 Member

I agree that the Miracle Blankets are the best for little Houdinis who can get out of just about everything. The next best thing I've found is the Halo Sleepsack Swaddle (I have the XS organic cotton kind, not sure if the fabric makes a difference) because it's very secure (surprisingly so), safe, and quicker than the Miracle Blanket. The only problem with it is that it seems the next size up is sold out EVERYWHERE right now!