For those trying to keep kids in toddler beds

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Crystal74, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Crystal74

Crystal74 Well-Known Member

Ok, I usually think Supernanny is a crock for us twin moms, BUT I have to admit that I was wrong and she was right! DH and I have been having a horrible time getting them to stay in their beds for the last week or so (naps and bedtime). Yesterday, I decided.... no more yelling. I had a decent morning, so I was able to keep even keel.

I put them down for nap and as usual, and gave kisses and hugs, told them I was not coming back in unless they got up. I told them if they got up I was going to put back in bed and if they kept getting up I was taking Dora and Diego out of their beds. As usual, as soon as I shut the door they were up. I just sat outside their door and everytime I heard them get up, I went in and CALMLY put them back in bed. I did not give any eye contact and did not say anything. .....Well,after 1 hour of doing this, I think I put them back in bed about 30 times.( I did take their stuffed animals out once, but I gave them back after they started staying in bed longer). Anyways, after about 30 times, IT WORKED! I was exhausted,but they went to sleep and slept for two hours.

Now for the better part, I put them to bed last night :rolleyes: :icon_biggrin: I had to put them back in bed ZERO times. Consistency does pay off. I'll have to update everybody after today's nap. Now, if I can get DH,his parents, and the multiple other helpers we have to do the same thing..LOL, I'll be in good shape.

Crystal

2. cabonnell

cabonnell Well-Known Member

Crystal, thank you for the advice. I've wondered about that. I actually just did this last night with mine (they are still in cribs). I thought it was time to adjust our bedtime routine finally as they seem to be changing how they react to it. Our method that we've used over time has been to rock or hold each of them til asleep then lay down but lately, they aren't falling asleep any longer. They are just trying to stay awake so I told dh that it's time for them to be able to "simply" lay down and go to sleep after we say good night to them like big girls. Emily didn't take this very well last night but I'm hoping it will get easier by week's end. This is all leading up to the eventual conversion to toddler beds. I'm glad you shared your experience with the Supernanny method. I will certainly keep mental notes of your experience when we make the big switch in a few months. Glad to hear it's going better for you. Keep up the great work and keep us posted.

3. Cheesecake

Cheesecake Well-Known Member

I should apply for a super nanny position cause I've been doing that for 10 years lol! Makes me feel good that a professional agrees with my ideas. With just about anything the kids have done I've always just repeated it till I was blue in the face. For instance I remember when I put one of my dd's in time out and she got up. I calmly just put her back over and over again. I remember looking at her and saying I 've got all day :D and you will stay in time out. Same with bedtime. I would sit outside the door and as soon as feet hit the floor I went in and quietly put them back. Course I haven't had to do it with twins yet :eek: Congrats on your achievement I know it feels good!

4. all4megan_kayleigh

all4megan_kayleigh Well-Known Member

That's great!

So what advice does Dr. Phil and Supernanny have for me? I wish someone would come to my house and solve my problem. I have two 4 year olds who have had bad sleeping habits from the start. DH and I have to lay down with them every night for them to go to sleep. Otherwise I am cleaning up throw up from them, especially Kayleigh, getting so worked up while crying for us. For this very reason, I chose to always just lay down with them, it was easier than dealing with the puking. and watching them get so upset. I honestly didn't think I would still be doing it when they were 4 years old though. So now, I don't know what type of appraoch I need to take. Do I wait it out another year and hope they will gradually not need us anymore or will I still be doing this when they are 10?! It's quite a delimma.

If I have another child, I know I will treat bedtime a lot different. Leasons have been learned but we did what we had to do when they were babies just so we could get some sleep. Dh and I were both trying to hold down full time jobs.

5. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

Hi that is great that it worked for you. I just super child proofed dd's room when we moved her to a toddler bed at 2.5. Sure she trashed the room for a few days and slept on the carpet sometimes. But within a week, she was going to nap and bedtime fine!

Now the boys will stay in their cribs until umm college? :p

6. CapeBretoner_123

CapeBretoner_123 Well-Known Member

She may look insane on some of those shows but thats how we got them to stay in bed as well. Her ideas saved me many many days of headaches.

7. titania

titania Well-Known Member

QUOTE(All4Megan&Kayleigh @ Apr 12 2007, 03:03 PM) [snapback]216447[/snapback]
    That's great!

So what advice does Dr. Phil and Supernanny have for me? I wish someone would come to my house and solve my problem. I have two 4 year olds who have had bad sleeping habits from the start. DH and I have to lay down with them every night for them to go to sleep. Otherwise I am cleaning up throw up from them, especially Kayleigh, getting so worked up while crying for us. For this very reason, I chose to always just lay down with them, it was easier than dealing with the puking. and watching them get so upset. I honestly didn't think I would still be doing it when they were 4 years old though. So now, I don't know what type of appraoch I need to take. Do I wait it out another year and hope they will gradually not need us anymore or will I still be doing this when they are 10?! It's quite a delimma.

If I have another child, I know I will treat bedtime a lot different. Leasons have been learned but we did what we had to do when they were babies just so we could get some sleep. Dh and I were both trying to hold down full time jobs.

have you heard of the no cry sleep solution? she (elizabeth pantley) has a toddler and preschooler version out now. its called "the no cry sleep solution for toddlers and preschoolers"! :icon_biggrin: i have not read it yet, but i thought i'd let you know it was out there in case its something you are interested in. i hope you find a solution that works for you and your family. good luck!

8. annieuetz

annieuetz Well-Known Member

I checked out "The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems: Sleeping, Fedding, and Behavior" from the library. It is the best book I have ever used. The use the pick up/put down method for bedtime and it really works. It is very similar to the Super Nanny but you stay in the room with them. I sit in the rocker as the girls are working on falling asleep.