For those who have delivered their twins vaginally.....

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by watersurfers, Jul 18, 2009.

1. watersurfers

watersurfers Well-Known Member

I am curious, as I am set to be induced at 38 weeks and 2 days, which is next Wednesday. Both are vertex, and I am going for a vaginal delivery.
    My doc wishes to induce me. And I am not sure if that means he will break my water and see what happens, break my water and start me on pitocin, or just start me on pitocin.

I am already 4 centimeters dilated and 80% effaced as of last week, so hoping by induction day I might be closer to 5 centimeters dilated.

If you were induced, what method did your doc use and how did it go?

I ask because I am a little nervous about pitocin use. I had it with my daughter, and the contractions were really rough. They just kept turning up the pitocin. Eventually the nurses forgot me, cause they had an emergency on the floor.... and I ended up at 10 centimeters really quickly! They all freaked out and had to find the doc to get him here right away. My daughter was also born with a little resp. distress, which I think was either the rough labor or the pitocin.

Thanks in advance!
    Molly
    37 weeks 5 days

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was induced with the IV drip. They tried the pitocin gel first, but that did nothing for me so they started the drip. It was fine, but I did have an epidural fairly quickly. Luke (baby B ) had a bit of resp. distress but he was delivered breech & with forceps. Overall, it was easier than I expected it to be! Good luck, we'll be seeing you here in First Year soon!

3. jrtchr

jrtchr Well-Known Member

I was induced with my older DD because I was past my due date. I was also induced with the twins because they were concerned about Baby B's weight (only the 10 percentile). I had the pitocin drip both times. With the twins I had started having somewhat regular contractions on my own upon arriving at the hospital so they waited to start pitocin for a while. I did have an epidural for both my DD and the twins - although it was still rough with the twins because it was only working on one side. I didn't really start to speed up in both cases until after they broke my water (around 5-6 centimeters both times). Both times they told me when they broke my water that it would still be a few hours - and like 45 minutes later, I was fully dilated and they were rushing to get everything ready. The pitocin did not have any adverse effects on me or the babies in either case.

4. Chanzie02

Chanzie02 Member

i was 1 cm dilated when baby A's water broke.. i went to the hospital and i held out until i was 3 cm- then they put me on Pitocin. My guess is if you are already dilated 5 cm then if they break you water your contractions will start coming more regularly and you may not need pitocin. But they may put you on it anyway to get things to go faster to avoid infection. I am not sure, my water broke before i got to the hospital. Good luck

5. tpowers

tpowers Well-Known Member

I was induced with pitocin with both my DD and my twin boys. With my daughter I was on it for a long time but, that was my body not the drug. With my twins from the pitocin to delivery was about 5.5 hours. I did have an epidural later on. Good Luck on Wed.

6. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was not induced but they did have to break my water bc one of the bags was leaking. I was 4.5cm and 90% effaced when I got to the hospital when they finally determined I was having contractions (back labor and I didn't know) I was 5 and they broke my water and away we went:) I only had to have pitocin between babies bc Jack too his good old time to swim down to the birth canal;) and I stopped having labor contractions. They were 54 mins apart!

Good luck!!!!:)

7. chrystalvaughn

chrystalvaughn Well-Known Member

I was induced, but they put a pill called cervadil or something like that behind my cervix to speed up contractions then they broke my water and I never did need the pitocin. Babies came pretty fast after my water was broke. Good luck.

8. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

I went in to the Drs at 37w 1d and I was at 3.5cm 80% effaced. I was in horroble pain on my right side. I lost complete function the last few weeks and I was just sucking it up. But when I went to see my Dr. I could not hide the amount of pain I was in. He stripped my membranes and told me to go walk for two hours and then go to L&D. When I showed up, I was at 4cm and 90%. But then, my body was not moving along and I had already progressed far enough that they were going to keep me. I was put on pitocin and progressed as far as I could without any narcotics. I had one shot of narcotics, but I was still not progressing. I was put on pitocin, a large amount....when they decided to break my water, I had my epidural. I was still not progressing as fast as they thought I should, so they had to put a monitor in my uterus to accurately measure the contractions. Once they did that...things moved right along.

After 31 hours of labor, I delivered 2 healthy big boys. Baby A was completely unmedicated because they turned it off an hour before I started to push. Baby B was breech and they tried to turn him, but no success. They gave me some drugs in my epidural and did a breech extraction.

I dont know if this is what you had in mind, but that is the 30 second version of what happened to me.

Jenn

Jenn

9. slr814

slr814 Well-Known Member

When I was induced they put me on a pitocin drip, and then broke baby A's water. I was only dilated 1 cm, so things moved pretty slowly at first. I would tell your Dr about your first experience with pitocin. Everyone reacts differently, and if you had a really hard quick labor last time, they should know to go a little slower with you. You are so far along already, that they might not need pitocin at all. Good luck on a vaginal delivery! We'll be seeing you here soon.