For those with 3 little ones - triplet strollers

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by LMW1015, Mar 16, 2011.

1. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

I'm debating on selling the 3 strollers we have (2 doubles and a single) and getting a triple stroller. It's pretty much just me when we go out and I've been using the double stroller and having one of the twins hold my hand but now they're starting to fight over who is going to get in the stroller (they all want in the stroller and the baby gets a confirmed seat LOL). I don't know if it's worth it or if I should just wait it out and stay with what we have. The twins are just about 28 months and the baby is almost 1 yr. I thought they were usually around $800 but I looked on Amazon and found some around 300-400. Any thoughts on this? Found this stroller on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Joovy-Caboose-Stand-Stroller-Appletree/dp/B0038QMLAK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Just don't know if it's worth it. I don't go out much because it's so hard but there are definitely times (like going for a walk) where it would be nice for everyone to have a seat. Thoughts? :)

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

We didn't go the triple stroller route and now that mine are older, I'm really glad that I didn't spend the money! My twins will hardly sit still in the stroller and do so much better walking these days.
    My 3 youngest are 13 months apart so my twins are 3 and my youngest is 2y and when I need to take them somewhere I usually put my little one in the single stroller and have the other ones hold my hands or the side of the stroller.
    My biggest reason for not doing the triple stroller is because of the doorways... I couldn't find one that fit easily through a door and we just go way to many places that are indoors.

3. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My crew is 19 months apart and we didnt do the triple stroller either. It's a good thing because we traded in the dbl stroller for a single! My boys are really good at walking with me, holding hands, or the stroller. I would say by 2.5 they were totally done with it. They will go in one now-sure. If there is a chance, but that's rare!

What about a wagon? We have the radio flyer one and when we were in PA, Annabella rode in there with the boys. Could be an option?

4. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

Mine are 18 months apart - I opted to get the Sit-n-stand. Baby got his 'confirmed' seat, and the girls were small enough that one could actually sit on the stool facing forward (feet would dangle into basket) and the other girl could either sit next to her facing backwards or stand on the board... Worked out great!

Now they all just walk everywhere and we don't need the stroller for anything.

5. Janclamat

Janclamat Well-Known Member

I don't think it is worth it either. When our third was just born I would but her in the back of the tandem stroller, then the heavier twin had her spot in the front of the stroller and the lighter twin rode on the top near the handlebar. When the baby got older I bought a single stroller and the twins would hang onto the side. They haven't sat in a stroller for almost a year. If you have your baby ride in the single and your twins hang on to the side that should eliminate fighting over that, although they may fight over what side they want to hang on to.

6. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

I was going to say that it's not really worth it because your twins will probably get much better at walking in the next 6-9 months, but on reflection I think if it makes it easier for you to get out now then go for it. I would probably keep the single stroller you have and sell the 2 doubles. If they are in good condition then you should make enough $ to cover the cost of the triple stroller so you wouldn't be out of pocket (and you can always sell the triple on once you're done with it). Once the twins are better at walking you can put the baby in the single and have them both walk.

Good luck deciding!

7. AandI

AandI Active Member

I was going to second the sit 'n stand option. We have that stroller that converted from 2 seats to a seat and a stand for the back. We adopted a little girl and she was 17 months when she came home and in the beginning I used a carrier for her (she was small and wanted to keep her close anyway) and the boys (28 months at the time) used the stroller. As we settled in, and currently, at 2 for her and almost 3 for them, our girl uses the seat and they go back and forth on the stand/bench seat. It just seems to work out (usually!) that they swich back and forth or hold the basket or whatever. I actually just noticed today that it wasn't in the car and I'm doing more and more with them just walking and her in the cart so maybe our stroller days are almost over once and for all.

A tip for anyone that is interested though, we use tag a longs and love them!

http://www.tagalongkids.com/?gclid=CNDewYCL1KcCFQEHbAodlSVb8w

8. LMW1015

I searched Amazon for the tag a longs and found this as well - http://www.amazon.com/Hold-Handles-Bizzy-Double-Handle/dp/B00466HCUK/ref=pd_sbs_ba_7 - both look cool! I have Amazon Prime so I kind of search for anything with that so I get free 2 day shipping LOL. I think this idea looks really neat. I have been going back and forth all day. I have a friend with triplets who thinks if it would help me get out more than I should do it. Honestly I don't know that I would really get out more. LOL SO I truly ask myself is it worth the money. What I am thinking - after a long day of researching and reading all of your great advice!! :) is maybe get this double set of handle things and keep using the double stroller like I am and give them turns using the handles. If they both want out then they can both hold the handles and we'll work on that. I went to their website and they have sort of "instructions" on how to use them (http://greaterthanonekids.com/how-to-use-hold-on-handles). MAYBE if I can get them using these well then that would work GREAT because maybe ONE day I can go into a store and use a grocery cart as opposed to a stroller and actually get more than 1 thing at a time. LOL Baby sits in the cart. I can snap this thing onto a grocery cart and voila the twins have something to hold on to that they have (hopefully) learned they must keep holding and I can actually get some shopping done! Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself and excited LOL but this is a pretty cool idea if my little turds will do it!! LOL I mean really for the most part they hold my hand well but I'm still stuck trying to push the double stroller with 1 hand and holding another hand and very little "basket" room for shopping items. As far as walks - well I don't go. LOL BUT if I just hold onto things the way they are now IF I can talk my husband into walking with me in the evenings or weekends we have a double and single jogger and I have a friend with a baby if she wants to walk during the day we can take the 2 double strollers and all will be well. Thank you for listening to me work this out in my head LMAO. You guys are great!!!

9. AandI

AandI Active Member

Those look nice too, looks like you can adjust the length-don't give them too much length!! I put ours on carts, both on the same side-only made the mistake of one on each side once, much too wide!

Also, I also have a travel booster seat (cloth, nylon that straps onto chairs but I strap it into the basket part of the cart) to put the younger one in adn then I still have a seat for one of the twins. Lose some space for groceries but leaves more space than only carrying a basket. I also would put a basket under the cart for small stuff that they would throw out of the cart while riding. Anyway, maybe not helpful but stuff that works for me. With the booster in the back of the cart it leaves a seat open to ride for one of them and I can walk faster too. However, like I said, the last few trips (boys will be 3 in a couple of weeks) they are holding their handles and younger one is the only one in the cart. In the last few months it's been learning to walk with me.

Certainly not trying to talk you out of a triple stroller but they do grow up and I saw a huge change between 2.5 and 3.

10. traci.finley

traci.finley Well-Known Member

I have been grappling with this, too. I have 3.5 yr old twins and a 14 month old. My twins still love to take walks and the baby is getting too big for the Bjorn (which is what I have been doing.) Lately, I have been putting her in the push car and them in the wagon and pulling them and pushing her. This is for walks to the park or what-have-you. I have a trailer for my bike for the twins and have been debating getting either a triplet stroller or a childs seat for my bike ... baby in the seat and twins in the double trailer ... I think it really depends on the kids (on whether they will be wanting to walk by 3 or so). My girls are good in the stroller, and honestly a bit lazy ... they don't want to walk (or tricycle) all the way to the pool or park and honestly it is easier for me to have an option of getting them all here or there just in case of an "I want to stay/I want to go" type situation where it is helpful to have somewhere to strap somone and let them fuss even if they don't want to be where we are going ... KWIM? Anyway, it is super hard to find a decent triplet stroller w/o paying an arm and leg. I only found one on the local craigslist and it is a tandem and I really wanted a side-by-side(by-side =) I wanted it mainly for the park/pool ... not for shopping or needing to put it in the car or get it through doors. I think I have decided to just go with the bike seat though if I had all the $ in the world I would go with the stroller (or a golf cart, really =) Anyway, sorry this is rambling ... just wanted to add my 2 cents that even older kids, sometimes, do fine and enjoy being in the stroller. My girls still love it.

11. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Mine were 26 months apart and I went for the valco twin tri mode with the toddler attachment. Worth every penny for me. Got me out of the house!

12. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

I just sold my joovy after using it only a handful of times last summer. The twins and baby are 21 months apart. The twins are now 3 and Kennedy 15 months. They really enjoy walking. These days I either use a single stroller for the baby or I use the ergo. Invest in a quality carrier. The joovy triple is huge. Heavy. And hard to steer. I dint recommend it.

13. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I had an ABC adventure stroller but sadly it is from New Zealand -- great stroller which was a single with a toddler seat up top and one in the front. I am using it still but with my three I find I still need another adult with me even just to go around the block. My twins were 3 in Nov. and the baby turns 2 in a few weeks. (17 months apart) Soon your little one will be walking and often we would allow one to walk and put the other two in the stroller. If I was out myself it is nice to have 3 spots to put them if all of them want to sit down / or they lose it and I need to get out of the mall quickly. I don't go out much myself with the 3 but I like having the option to do so if I need to. The stroller you chose looks nice.

Heather

14. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

I have a Valco Trimode Twin and like it a lot. It's a double and we added the toddler seat attachment up front. My twins and singleton are 21 months apart. I like to have it since we do a lot of walking around a local lake and there is no way they could walk that far. It's really my only form of exercise right now. We got it used and hope to be able to sell it and get back much of what we paid for it. Your kids are older so they may not want to be in a stroller much longer. Plus, if you don't do that much walking, you may not need a fancy triple stroller. I like the idea of using the handles. I might do that too at some point.

15. angeez78@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I also have the Valco Twin Trimode with the toddler seat attachment. Was a huge lifesaver. It has awesome wheels/tires that can go on ANY type of surface without any problems. People often see me with it and say "now that's a cadillac stroller". Best of luck in your decision!

16. LMW1015

That Valco stroller looked really cool. I think I've decided just to stick with things the way they are. No point in spending more money when we don't even leave the house that much. LOL We'll stick with the twin stroller while we're out and have 1 walk and they can take turns. At least I have 2 strapped in. LOL