For those with 'Identical Twins'......question regarding appearance

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Tammy206, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Tammy206

Tammy206 New Member

Hi,

We have 2 week old identical twins that by most peoples standards, look just alike. However, to us, we can certainly tell the difference and have been able to since birth. They have different noses, slightly different head shapes, etc.

We were told by both the OB and perinatologist that they were Identical so I have to believe they are, although it always possible that they were fraternal.

For those with ID twins, do they start to look more alike as they age? They were only 4 ounces apart at birth so its not an issue with different weights......

So in summary, will they look the closest at birth or start to look more alike as they age?

Thanks in advance.

Tammy

2. melissa26

melissa26 Well-Known Member

3. melissa26

melissa26 Well-Known Member

mine are almost 7 months old and just here in the last couple months its been hard to tell them apart.Mine were 2 oz apart at birth and had different head and nose shapes but now one is 1.5 pounds heavier but you cant tell the difference in them a lot.We had ours tested a few months ago and they are identical.I wish I would have waited because now you can definitely tell they are .

4. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

My girls started looking more and more alike around 3-4 months. They were 3oz different at birth and have maintained a small weight difference as they have gotten older. We actually had a DNA test done around 5 months because we initially thought they were fratneral (di/di) but the DNA test came back ID.

5. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

Mine did not look alike at all at birth, and now it is pretty hard to tell them apart.

6. EmilyorMLE

EmilyorMLE Well-Known Member

Nobody can tell our boys apart except for me & and my husband. (and even though he still mixes them up sometimes, shhh!) My boys have different head shapes, one has a little birthmark on his pelvis area, one has slightly longer hair, and they have a little bit of a weight difference. To me, they look completely different but I think it's just a mommy thing that grows in time.

7. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

mine looked nothing alike (to us) at birth, but by 5 months they looked so much alike that we sometimes accidentally switched them and had them riding in each other's car seats. but now at almost 10 months we think they look very different again.

8. kryscline

kryscline Well-Known Member

Ours didn't look alike when they were born. They are looking more and more alike. They do have differences though, such as; over a 1 pound weight difference, one have a birthmark on her bottom, one is slightly darker than the other, and their ears and heads have different shapes. There are times we have to do a double take, but for the most part we are able to tell them apart because of their differences. Sometimes I get them mixed up in pictures if they are not together or if they have hats on and we can't see their differences.

Congratulations on your ID twins.

Here are a few pictures, hopefully the links work.
    The day they were born.
    Two months.
    Ally 5 months old.
    Baily 5 months old.
    Sisters; Baily, Emily and Ally (twins 5 months)

9. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

my girls are looking more & more alike as they get older. i'm finding it much harder to tell them apart now then i did when they were babies - or at least, i often have to take a second look to be sure.

10. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sometimes my girls look so alike that I can't tell who is who, but other times they look nothing alike to me. They make different facial expressions, and I dont know what it is, sometimes they just look nothing alike.

11. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

My girls have always had a significant weight difference, so I have always been able to tell them apart. That doesn't mean I have never mixed them up, because I have, but if I am paying close enough attention I know who is who.

Now my girls are 21 months old, with a 3lb weight difference and I don't think they look that much alike. However, a lot of people still cannot tell them apart. My MIL swears that the older they are getting the more alike they are looking...