For those with older children - sippy cups

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by amymc72, Jan 6, 2011.

1. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I used Playtex sippies with my older two two children (born in 2004 and 2007) - I thought they were great - no leaks, highly recommended in Baby Bargains, etc. So I purchased all new Playtex sippy cups for the twins. And they leak like crazy! Is it something with the two click thing? Or is it just that the twins shake them upside down and all cups will leak that way? HELP!

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Is it leaking from the valve or from the rim? If it's the valve, you might have to either push the valve in harder, or a little bit less than you are.. and also make sure it's facing the right way. It's a bit tricky at first, but in no time you'll have it down to an art. And if it's from the rim, you have to make sure that it twists on properly and the little arrows on the lid line up in between the arrows on the cup.

Also, I had a set of faulty ones that I just couldn't get to work so they ended up in the recycling bin.

3. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I had this same problem too so I stopped using them...I have been using the Nuby straw cups. The design of the soft spout Nuby sippys also seems to have changed. I bought two of those after the Playtex ones and they ended up in the recycling as well...why do they do this? They were both favs with my son so I figured I knew what I was getting when I bought them. Oh well, the girls like the straws so the third time was the charm for us :).

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh my GOSH I could have written your post! I loved playtex with my older kids (born in 2002 and 2006), but I hate these new playtex cups! But, I've tried them all, and I hate these less than any others! :lol: So I'm stuck! :p

But yes, they should never have changed the design of their cup lids, the ones they used to have NEVER leaked, no matter how much they were dropped/kicked/thrown/chucked/stepped on...etc. :laughing:

5. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

This is probably against some mother code but I am still using the old ones from my 6 year old. They still work and are in good condition and at the cost of replacing sippies, I saved them. I have two of the new ones and have not noticed any problems with them. I have found that the new skinny valves are more prone to popping out than the square fat ones they made a long time ago.

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I still use the ones from my older kids too, but a lot of my lids were chewed up and I had to toss them. And the ones from my dd's time (born 2006), the plastic on the pictures ripped off and the pictures are totally faded...yet the ones from my ds's time (born 02) still have beautiful pictures on them! :lol:

7. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

Good to know that I'm not the only one with this problem!

And I love Marchl's post - I do many, many things that are against "code" today I'm sure ... like I used a whole slew of old Dr. Brown's with the twins - they were still new in the package - I'd never opened them for my second baby - but full of terrible BPA, I'm sure - but I was desperate to not wash so many bottles all the time - I had to have relief! So I BPA'd away ...