foremilk/hindmilk question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by newtothis, Feb 27, 2012.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

my LO is about a week old and EBF. her poop has been a mustard yellow the entire time (looks like yellow mustard, that's it.) it is not seedy. (not sure if thats ok?)

tonight i changed her and it was yellow and then a blob of green.
    of course i googled - it said i could have oversupply? it also said not to switch breasts? just nurse on one? bc sometimes the baby gets more fore milk and no hind milk?

any thoughts if this is just a fluke or if i should have concern?
    TY!

2. newtothis

its only my 2nd week into BFing this new LO.
    when the topic of the green poop came-up and i googled i felt like a lot of the over supply issues that i read about were things that i deal with. I'm constantly leaking, dripping, you name it...i have letdown frequently. at least every 2 hours and the baby nurses every 4.

could i have an over supply issue?

3. newtothis

i know that the baby has to get hind and fore milk; does switching sides affect this? i was told in the hospital to nurse 15 mins on each side but i feel like the baby is still drinking from my breast and then i take them off, burp them and move them to the other side.

is it better to just nurse on one side and then pump the other or wait until the next feeding to empty that breast?
    the other day i tried pumping one breast and letting the baby feed off of one and it wasn't bad....

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ok, so is the baby hungry earlier than every 4 hours? That seems a little long for s/he to go between feeds. I'd aim for feeding closer to 8-10 times a day instead of 6 as BM digests faster than formula. You may have to wake the baby initally to eat to get there. I would try feeding first before anything else.

Also, I found some links from kellymom on oversupply/green poop- if the baby seems content between feeds and has a normal amount of pee/poop diapers. While I'm thinking of it, yes- yellow, seedy poop is perfectly normal. :)

So those links:
    http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/articles/oversupply-too-much-breast-milk

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/engorgement.html

Again, I'd encourage you to nurse the baby more often to see if you still have an oversupply.

5. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

If the baby is still drinking do not take her off and switch sides. Let her feed until she finishes! In fact, throw the watch out the window and watch her, not the time. I had oversupply in the beginning and it definitely helped to encourage her to empty 1 breast. I even would burp her after she pulled away and put her back on the same breast. I only offered the 2nd breast after she was completely done with the first. Even at 4 months she only takes both sides about half of the time.

Whether you pump the other side depends on what you want to do. If you want to build up freezer stash, then pump, but your breasts will continue to make more than you need. If you are like me and hate to pump, then just wait till next feeding and nurse on the other side.

1 person likes this.
  6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ok, first I have to say that the fact that this sort of "advice" is still being offered in hospitals makes me want to bang my head against a wall.

Second, I completely agree with crazytwinmomma - let her "finish" the first side. Burb her, change her, and offer the second breast. If she wants some more, great, if not, also great! Think of the second breast as dessert.

Third, I expect that if you follow her cues & let her tell you when she's done it will resolve the green poop concern (although, that being said, the odd green poop here & there really isn't a problem - just a variation of normal).