Formula and foam??

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by reeba1976, Jan 30, 2007.

1. reeba1976

reeba1976 Well-Known Member

How do I get the powder formula to keep from foaming? After I mix it and shake it, it seems to foam real bad and will not go down. Any ideas???

2. reeba1976

reeba1976 Well-Known Member

How do I get the powder formula to keep from foaming? After I mix it and shake it, it seems to foam real bad and will not go down. Any ideas???

3. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

You can take a spoon and stir it to keep the foam at bay

4. ABeeCDandE!

ABeeCDandE! Well-Known Member

I premix all our formula to help settle the bubbles, 24 hours at a time. If I have to make a quick bottle, I add a dose of mylicon drops...bubbles disappear instantly.

Actually one small dose of drops will de-bubble a huge 24 hour amount of formula...so you don't need much.

HTH!

5. Laura56

Laura56 Well-Known Member

I used to swirl it around and then it is more dissolved and then I didn't have to shake it so much. But I just got used to the foam. Also if you make a fuller bottle there is less foam.

6. Team Dougall

Team Dougall Member

Foam is not good for the baby. Has lots of air in it and can make a baby get gas. I found that certain formula has less foam. Right now Parents Choice seems to be working good for the baby and not be so foamey. Just my thoughts.

7. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I use Mylicon drops to cut down on the foam, you don't need much just a couple of drops for an 8 oz bottle.

8. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That is why I make a whole batch for the day in the Pampered Chef Quick Stir pitcher. That way there is no foam when they need a bottle.

9. becky5

becky5 Guest

quote:
    I use Mylicon drops to cut down on the foam

Me too!

10. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We made a day's worth at a time and then poured bottles and let them settle. But when I had to make a bottle from scratch, I added a couple of drops of Mylicon (or Little Tummys or store brand simethicone -- both are the exact same stuff and cheaper than Mylicon). It makes the bubbles go away instantly (just like on the Gas-X commercial [​IMG]).

11. KrazyKat

KrazyKat Well-Known Member

The warmer the water the more foam. If you wait for it to get to room temp, or serve bottles right out of the fridge, there is less foam and less bubbles as they drink the bottle.

12. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I agree with a couple of pp. I use the Pampered Chef pitcher also. But, I stir it with a whisk first to get those clumps out (idea from mom!), it works great! I also make up a batch for 24 hours but have also used Mylicon for that last minute bottle. I just put in a drop or two.

13. New Mom

New Mom Well-Known Member

We premake our bottles so the foam has time to settle. Also we scoop the foam out with a spoon the best we can, if we make a bottle and have to use it right away. After we warm the bottle up, we don't shake it, just swirl it around.

14. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

i also just add a drop of gas drops right on top and they start popping right away [​IMG]